Is Collins nasty enough to be a HC ?

We are not better than last year.... Except we do have more 4 Stars on the roster and even a 5 star DE.... But we are still losing "winable games" becuase we have a recruiting staff and not a Football Coaching staff... maybe they can learn to become better coaches...
yall can complain all you want, the guy has 5+ years on his contract and we don't have any money to buy him out. So, sit in the sandbox and cry....or pull for this team of freshmen and sophomores, who will only get better. They don't have the established players above them that they can lean on for advice. They are building the foundation that GREAT teams will stand upon in the future.

I agree that we have the talent to win with this roster, but I cannot agree that this coaching staff is putting our guys in a position to win.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Praise in public, criticize behind closed doors. There are times when an outburst in public is warranted (see Dabo example where the player goes completely on his own to do something that hurts the whole team). If someone is busting it and makes a mistake, I don't think a public lashing is warranted.

I can tell you from experience that I personally had a lot more respect for coaches that did the above. I could handle being called out publicly, I just lost respect for the man that did it unless it was warranted (see above).

Coaching someone hard is another story.

Praise in public, criticize behind closed doors. There are times when an outburst in public is warranted (see Dabo example where the player goes completely on his own to do something that hurts the whole team). If someone is busting it and makes a mistake, I don't think a public lashing is warranted.

I can tell you from experience that I personally had a lot more respect for coaches that did the above. I could handle being called out publicly, I just lost respect for the man that did it unless it was warranted (see above).

Coaching someone hard is another story.

For Dabo, Youtube Tech Clemson 2009 first game and see what he said to his kicker after he pooch punted a ball to Tarrant that was returned for a TD......

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The only elite player we had on the field today was Harvin. Gibbs and Griffin are close. Gibbs got his first 100 yard game. Lot of it on his own effort. No one is standing out on D . Was Charlie Thomas injured. Did not hear his name called.
Totally disagree. Gibbs was elite today. The first guy rarely got him down and he turned 2 yard gains into 8 yard gains. Gibbs is the first GT player since Derrick Morgan and Morgan Burnett that I can say would start for any team in the country tomorrow. Yeah, Harvin and Butker would but that’s a different animal.

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
He proabably would have been a great fit with Coach Johnson as DC... Great recruiter.... He really didn't do much at Temple except lose to multiple FCS teams.. He didn't improve on what Matt Rhule did... He jost rode the wave until he got here....

First there is no doubt that he has raised the recruiting bar at Tech... But as far as the coaching goes..... I do not like the on field product... I do not see where the team is getting better or even ready to compete at the ACC level (Lets not talk about National level) I often hear about his vision, but you have multiple 4 star guys making the same mistakes in week 3 that they made in week one... where is the improvement at?

I am not sure we will ever be able to have B2B 7 win season with Coach Collins as HC.... We could but he might have to make some Coordinator changes... But it appears that the program may take a while to get to a 7 Win season under his leadership. Also I notice that the national media is all about Georgia Tech since we are not running the TO, often getting excited about Coach Collins and supporting his vision.... It will be interesting if they are still loving him in year 3 or 4.
The ACC needs us to be good
The only elite player we had on the field today was Harvin. Gibbs and Griffin are close. Gibbs got his first 100 yard game. Lot of it on his own effort. No one is standing out on D . Was Charlie Thomas injured. Did not hear his name called.
charlie was beat in coverage for one of Syracuse’s touchdowns

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
Is Dabo mean enough to be a head coach? I remember when people were calling him a clown.
I remember when Bobby Ross was 5-17 in his first two years. Was he qualified to be a head coach?

It amazes me how many people on this board don't have a clue. They don't understand that talent and experience matter. They just throw out "poor coaching" and don't even know what that means. As Urban Meyer said, college football starts and ends with recruiting. A large number of posters think coaches should be able to take any group and turn them into a top 10 team if the coaching is good enough. That's absolutely ridiculous.

Our recruiting sucked for a long time. That is the hand Collins was dealt. 8 new starters on D last year, and we lost Adams. We are still very young on D. The OL isn't nearly where it needs to be, and won't be until the current FR are third year players. We are staring a true FR QB--for better or worse, and probably worse the last two games.

Someone posted about all 4 stars we have. How many are on the OL, DT, DE, LB, TE, WR? OK Clayton is a five star DE, but he is rusty and maybe still hurt.

I'm not happy about 15 penalties and that is not acceptable. The kicking game is not acceptable, but again, Collins didn't inherit a great kicker.

A lot of the complaints about coaching are people who are just venting and I get that. But there is a whole lot of stupidity being exhibited on this board.
We won a bunch of games without “elite” recruiting. Anyone think Syracuse out talented us today ?

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
This maybe the wildest statement on this board. Guy CPJs MOST TALENTED TEAM was Gailey’s guys. The 2009 team was the best team CPJ ever fielded Ik they lost the orange bowl but that was the most consistent team for sure.
Still couldn't beat the mutts with them depressing. If Collins beats them give him a life deal. JK

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
yall can complain all you want, the guy has 5+ years on his contract and we don't have any money to buy him out. So, sit in the sandbox and cry....

How meaningless is this statement? Did you really think this was a good point? Did you really think this would change anyone’s minds about criticizing our coach?

I pay a lot of money to the GT Athletics fun. I have every right to ***** and moan when the product I’m paying for sucks. That’s half the reason sports messaging board exists: to vent with likeminded people AKA other fans. It would be one thing if people were being innapropriate in their frustration, but I have yet to see anyone cross the line. Yes, the title of this thread is a bit goofy, but the OP has a point. Collins does seem like he’s always positive and sometimes that can make you question one’s ability to lead because part of being a leader is handing out discipline, which realistically can’t always be executed in a positive mindset. And that’s why this question exists because we look SO UNDISCIPLINED 15 games into his tenure. It’s not that we lost, it’s how we lost. It was sloppy and poorly coached( and we lost to a really bad team). All criticism here is valid so PLEASE, get off your high horse. Some of us didn’t take jockey lessons during the shutdown.

Last edited:

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Still couldn't beat the mutts with them depressing. If Collins beats them give him a life deal. JK
CPJ won 20 games in his first 2 years, and was a play away from 2–0 against the mutts. It doesn’t always go your way, even when you put yourself in position to beat a quality team. He did inherit some strong talent, but also had them playing in his system with discipline even though they were recruited for an entirely different system. This staff has yet to beat a good team and we generally take ourselves out of the game with a lack of discipline.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
How meaningless is this statement? Did you really think this was a good point? Did you really think this would change anyone’s minds about criticizing our coach?

I pay a lot of money to the GT Athletics fun. I have every right to ***** and moan when the product I’m paying for sucks. That’s half the reason sports messaging board exists: to vent with likeminded people AKA other fans. It would be one thing if people were being innapropriate in their frustration, but I have yet to see anyone cross the line. Yes, the title of this thread is a bit goofy, but the OP has a point. Collins does seem like he’s always positive and sometimes that can make you question one’s ability to lead because part of being a leader is handing out discipline, which realistically can’t always be executed in a positive mindset. And that’s why this question exists because we look SO UNDISCIPLINED 15 games into his tenure. It’s not that we lost, it’s how we lost. It was sloppy and poorly coached( and we lost to a really bad team). All criticism here is valid so PLEASE, get off your high horse. Some of us didn’t take jockey lessons during the shutdown.

So if we were still losing but our coach was berating our players in press conferences and chewing officials all game for every lil infraction, that would show you that he is trying harder than he is?

I mean, do you really understand what he is doing? Its basically a transition from club team to varsity. On a team of 85, only about a third are his recruits to fit his style of play, so most of the people playing are freshman and sophomores.

CCG players were a top 20 recruiting class, its easier for CPJ to come in and win with them vs bottom 50 talent trying to play a different system. Had we gone with another 3O coach, we wouldn't be where we are. But it is what is. But look how much the offense has improved over last year. We've just had some bad luck when it comes to turnovers, which could be connected to lack of practice time.

Forget that there was only 3 practices this spring and limited time this summer. Yes it affected every team, but we are in year 2 of a big up hill climb. I never played football, was my sport, but i was aware enough to understand that with this system change that years 1-3 would be terrible. Nick saban couldn't have come in and rebuilt us any better with what we had in the cupboard. Give the men who are working their butts off a break. Things will get better, and stop crying in the sandbox cause it ain't doing anything except making you look petty. And don't come around boasting that you believed im CGC when the ship is going full steam ahead.