Is Collins nasty enough to be a HC ?

Scubapro

Banned
Nick saban couldn't have come in and rebuilt us any better with what we had in the cupboard.
Do you really think Saint Nick would have tolerated the stupid penalties, special teams fiasco, missed assignments.
NO he wouldn't because he is a good coach.
The point is this...we may not have all the talent in the world but we make ourselves look even worse due to crummy coaching
Quit blaming CPJ....PJ aint here getting folks lined up late....only having 4 men on the line during punts and having the FG kicker kick the ball into the snapper.
All this team does and doesn't do is on Collins now

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Nasty is a bad word to use. I have always thought Tech would do better with a hard nose coach more of a military style coach like Ross and O'leary . A players coach would not work as well at Tech.
I would have thought CGC working with O'Leary and Saban would he been more like them. Maybe he has a plan to get the players he wants and then change his style.
I really think we have some good coaches on the staff and some that could get better and maybe a few that need to go. This is something CGC needs to do this year a make a decision before it's to late for him. But it will not be easy cause good coaches may not want to work for a head coach that only has 4 years as a head coach, so you are looking at young coaches that will need to learn. Year 2 will be over this year so it's getting to the point something needs to be done after this year.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
He was a defensive coordinator, so I’m sure he can be a SOB when he needs to be.
My problem is Syracuse. You can’t tell me they have better talent than us.
Is our new ceiling 4 wins?

Good Sunday morning. I am mad at myself.

At the start of the season, I had 5 wins. Not saying we can't get there. To illustrate how badly I missed. I had FSU and UCF both a loss and Syracuse a win. So, 1 and 2. I'm not down because we are 1 and 2, but how we got there. Maybe 4 is the ceiling at this point in time. I would still like at least 5 though. We really miss Swilling, a shutdown corner. Maybe the Falcons and my second cup of strong Joe will make me feel better?

See, 2 strong Joes, and I feel better already!

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
CPJ won 20 games in his first 2 years, and was a play away from 2–0 against the mutts. It doesn’t always go your way, even when you put yourself in position to beat a quality team. He did inherit some strong talent, but also had them playing in his system with discipline even though they were recruited for an entirely different system. This staff has yet to beat a good team and we generally take ourselves out of the game with a lack of discipline.
The talent levels of the 2 teams aren't even comparable. This is a dumb argument.

VintageWreck

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing is becoming clearer.
FSU trails 38-3 at halftime- LOL
Miami may end up being a top 10 team. So, the ACC has Clemson, North Carolina and Miami. Our lead teams at this time. Who else?
The QB transfer from Houston, I believe, is helping raise their stock.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Do you really think Saint Nick would have tolerated the stupid penalties, special teams fiasco, missed assignments.
NO he wouldn't because he is a good coach.
The point is this...we may not have all the talent in the world but we make ourselves look even worse due to crummy coaching
Quit blaming CPJ....PJ aint here getting folks lined up late....only having 4 men on the line during punts and having the FG kicker kick the ball into the snapper.
All this team does and doesn't do is on Collins now
You don't know what you are talking about. You really don't think they have practiced special teams after week 1? You just like to complain.

Scubapro

Banned
You don't know what you are talking about. You really don't think they have practiced special teams after week 1? You just like to complain.
Whatever...we made first game mistakes in abundance in the third game.
I may not know what I am talking about BUT its not hard to spot a poorly coach team.
Dont be afraid to see whats in front of you
Also...if you like our team now then you will love the next three years

LibertyTurns

Banned
Nasty is a bad word to use. I have always thought Tech would do better with a hard nose coach more of a military style coach like Ross and O'leary . A players coach would not work as well at Tech.
I would have thought CGC working with O'Leary and Saban would he been more like them. Maybe he has a plan to get the players he wants and then change his style.
I really think we have some good coaches on the staff and some that could get better and maybe a few that need to go. This is something CGC needs to do this year a make a decision before it's to late for him. But it will not be easy cause good coaches may not want to work for a head coach that only has 4 years as a head coach, so you are looking at young coaches that will need to learn. Year 2 will be over this year so it's getting to the point something needs to be done after this year.
Good organizations have a blend of leadership styles. A staff full of Satans here would be dysfunctional, but a staff full of people pumping sunshine up everyone’s rump would be worse. We need a fully functional staff to help CGC to be successful. There’s just too many holes right now. We’ve seen coaches on the Flats fail to properly man their staff to achieve success. It does not work well. We’ll likely never have the luxury of talent overcoming weak coaching here. Having good coaches is paramount.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Whatever...we made first game mistakes in abundance in the third game.
I may not know what I am talking about BUT its not hard to spot a poorly coach team.
Dont be afraid to see whats in front of you
Also...if you like our team now then you will love the next three years
I never said I loved the team but I'm going to give them time to flip the roster and get their guys in. If you thought tech was some 5-8 win team this year starting a true freshman QB that is crazy. If tech does fire CGC in the next few years we are in a 10x better situation to transition than a year ago.

slugboy

Staff member
Good organizations have a blend of leadership styles. A staff full of Satans here would be dysfunctional, but a staff full of people pumping sunshine up everyone’s rump would be worse. We need a fully functional staff to help CGC to be successful. There’s just too many holes right now. We’ve seen coaches on the Flats fail to properly man their staff to achieve success. It does not work well. We’ll likely never have the luxury of talent overcoming weak coaching here. Having good coaches is paramount.
I get the feeling that Choice, Coleman, and Key aren’t all sunshine and rainbows.

From what footage I’ve seen of practice, the coaches look like they’re coaching.

GT11

GT Athlete
Well, if there was one glaring weakness today it was letting Cuse receivers get behind our DBs. They didn't have much talent except a QB with a good arm and very speedy receivers. We got caught looking in the backfield several times with bad results. And Collins coaches the DBs !!
But they got JUICE

LibertyTurns

Banned
I get the feeling that Choice, Coleman, and Key aren’t all sunshine and rainbows.

From what footage I’ve seen of practice, the coaches look like they’re coaching.
Sorry I wasn‘t commenting that the staff below CGC was all sunshine pumpers. All I was saying is CGC needs to plug a few holes on his staff. It may be a numbers issue or it may be hitting the eject button on a few. We managed leadership staffing in the military by trying not to have the #1 & #2’s too like minded. It’s an effective strategy but at the end of the day it’s CGC’s staff and he should get what he wants to get the job done.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
The talent levels of the 2 teams aren't even comparable. This is a dumb argument.
The results are also not even close. We pretty much never look prepared to play even against teams with comparable talent. I’m not saying Collins should be expected to win 20 games in his first 2 seasons with this roster, but we’re playing ugly, sloppy football.

Scubapro

Banned
I never said I loved the team but I'm going to give them time to flip the roster and get their guys in. If you thought tech was some 5-8 win team this year starting a true freshman QB that is crazy. If tech does fire CGC in the next few years we are in a 10x better situation to transition than a year ago.
Never expected us to be great or even good this year.
What I do expect is a team that plays cohesively. A game plan tailored to our talent. And a team that does not make stupid mistakes.
Sure, turn over the roster but if they arent being coached up then what difference does it make if a 5* jumps off sides 3x a game or 3* moves 3x a game ... both kill drives

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
I thought message boards existed to allow fans to flex their giving to the program to try and make their moaning more valid.
That's why I created the thread. To see if anyone had the same feelings as me right now. Apparently many do and some don't. That is a good thread to me. Nobody wants ONLY cheerleaders or whiners, do we ?