Is college football near the end as we know it.

biggtfan

Jolly Good Fellow
No but he would drop a million to get a good number of players. Offer an 18 year old 50k and see what most do. So now the 1 million just got you 20 good players

I disagree slightly because in order to pay money to one or more athletes, the donor has to: a) make a profit (e.g., a car dealership sells more cars); b) get a tax deduction (haven't seen this mentioned yet); or c) feel like throwing money at people with no return on investment solely to puff out their chest when they win games. Only a small number of payers per team can justify a profit-based donation. The players are not charities or non-profits so limited incentive there. Further, only marquee players WITH FLAWLESS CHARACTER would likely get money. Would you want your businesses athlete-spokesperson to be in the news for beating up his girlfriend, drugs, theft, fraud, or many other problem@?

Therefore, I think the impact is somewhat self-limiting and not the runaway train many are portraying it to be. If I'm missing something, help me understand how the ROI for paying players makes sense to the donor.

armeck

Jolly Good Fellow
Why can't we pay the players similarly to other student employees (dining hall workers, bus drivers, bookstore clerks, etc.)? Pay them a wage for every hour they spend "working" on their job. I would bet that a lot of these kids would be content if they just had some cash flow, it might satisfy the itch to do things under the table. How many hours a week do they put in, on average? Maybe 30 hours? Between mandatory workouts, film rooms, on field practice, game day prep, game time... 30*$15 = $450 a week pre-tax?

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Why can't we pay the players similarly to other student employees (dining hall workers, bus drivers, bookstore clerks, etc.)? Pay them a wage for every hour they spend "working" on their job. I would bet that a lot of these kids would be content if they just had some cash flow, it might satisfy the itch to do things under the table. How many hours a week do they put in, on average? Maybe 30 hours? Between mandatory workouts, film rooms, on field practice, game day prep, game time... 30*$15 = $450 a week pre-tax?

How would schools/athletic associations pay for that? If you do this for football, you’d have to do it for every sport, maybe even cheerleading and band too. Where would that money come from? An increase in ticket prices? We (GT) already can’t sell any venue out at some of the lowest ticket prices in D1.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I disagree slightly because in order to pay money to one or more athletes, the donor has to: a) make a profit (e.g., a car dealership sells more cars); b) get a tax deduction (haven't seen this mentioned yet); or c) feel like throwing money at people with no return on investment solely to puff out their chest when they win games. Only a small number of payers per team can justify a profit-based donation. The players are not charities or non-profits so limited incentive there. Further, only marquee players WITH FLAWLESS CHARACTER would likely get money. Would you want your businesses athlete-spokesperson to be in the news for beating up his girlfriend, drugs, theft, fraud, or many other problem@?

Therefore, I think the impact is somewhat self-limiting and not the runaway train many are portraying it to be. If I'm missing something, help me understand how the ROI for paying players makes sense to the donor.
Yoh don't think teams like Alabama and Ohio State and few others don't have people you would throw money at their sports program to see them get better players?

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
Yoh don't think teams like Alabama and Ohio State and few others don't have people you would throw money at their sports program to see them get better players?

That’s almost a given. Alabama, even Auburn have very deep pocketed donors that take football very seriously, and would/do pay whatever they can to get the best players/win. It is exactly that...chest thumping/bragging rights. If even half of the stories of the cars bought for recruits, jobs given to family members, bags of cash left on doorsteps that have been told over the years about almost EVERY top program are to be believed, they (big money boosters) have already been giving away money with no return/no tax deductions for decades. Now they can potentially do this on the up and up? It would get WORSE, not better.

Animal02

Banned
I have felt for years players should get a monthly stipend to cover costs not included in the scholarship. It would not eliminate the graft, but might dampen it.

chris975d

Ramblin' Wreck
I have felt for years players should get a monthly stipend to cover costs not included in the scholarship. It would not eliminate the graft, but might dampen it.

Aren’t schools already allowed to give stipends for living expenses? And I think they are allowed to cover all of a student athletes food (unlimited meals). Or were you meaning more than the stipends mentioned in the below articles?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cn...thletes-get-no-big-contract-but-some-pay.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansascity.com/sports/college/article86062792.html

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
You don’t think it’s a little ridiculous a college athlete can’t go out to eat and have their meal payed for by a fan, or anyone other than a family member? Or they can’t sell their own autograph for a few bucks? Or hold a camp/give lessons to kids in their hometown and make money off of it? It’s not about schools paying players. It’s about giving players the opportunity to make money on their own market value. Seems pretty educational to me

I think it is ridiculous that they are being given a full ride scholarship worth tens of thousands of dollars and they want more. It took me ten years to pay off my daughter's student loan so I am not sympathetic to their plight. If they want to be paid, fine, let the factories become in name what they already are... a minor league professional development center for the NFL.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it is ridiculous that they are being given a full ride scholarship worth tens of thousands of dollars and they want more. It took me ten years to pay off my daughter's student loan so I am not sympathetic to their plight. If they want to be paid, fine, let the factories become in name what they already are... a minor league professional development center for the NFL.
I think this opinion is ridiculous. Please give one legitimate reason as to why they should not be paid. I'll wait.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this opinion is ridiculous. Please give one legitimate reason as to why they should not be paid. I'll wait.

Because they've voluntarily agreed to participate in an activity that currently doesn't allow it? And in exchange for that agreement they were given tangible consideration in the form of tuition, room, board, academic assistance, etc. Not saying they should not be allowed to take advantage of their likeness at the end of the day, but that is definitely a legitimate reason.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Because they've voluntarily agreed to participate in an activity that currently doesn't allow it? And in exchange for that agreement they were given tangible consideration in the form of tuition, room, board, academic assistance, etc. Not saying they should not be paid at the end of the day, but that is definitely a legitimate reason.
See emphasis. That's a circular argument. What is a legitimate reason for why it should not be allowed in the first place?

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
See emphasis. That's a circular argument. What is a legitimate reason for why it should not be allowed in the first place?
Come on, you could do that all day. The legitimate reason is because we decided as a society that, in order to participate in intercollegiate athletics, students could not profit monetarily from their skills and achievements and we established a private organization to enforce that decision. In return for their labor, they are provided certain benefits. The students know the restrictions coming in and tacitly agree to abide by them. Nobody forced them to participate. They are free to get paid however they want outside of participation in college athletics.

We often agree to restrictions we don't necessarily believe in. Why do I have to return a rental car with a full tank of gas? Why can't I vote for a president from one party and vice president from another? Why do I have to show up for work sober? That doesn't mean we can't change those restrictions because our thinking as a society has evolved. And changing them doesn't mean the prior system was illegitimate.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
Come on, you could do that all day. The legitimate reason is because we decided as a society that, in order to participate in intercollegiate athletics, students could not profit monetarily from their skills and achievements and we established a private organization to enforce that decision. The students know the restrictions coming in and tacitly agree to abide by them. Nobody forced them to participate. They are free to get paid however they want outside of participation in college athletics. We often agree to restrictions we don't necessarily believe in. Why do I have to return a rental car with a full tank of gas? Why can't I vote for a president from one party and vice president from another? Why do I have to show up for work sober? That doesn't mean we can't change those restrictions because our thinking as a society has evolved. And changing them doesn't mean the prior system was illegitimate.

So I am still waiting, what is the reason why they should not be paid? And the answer can't just be because it has always been that way. I can tell you several reasons why they should get paid, but I am sure you know all of those.

None of your examples are appropriate here. You don't have to return a rental car with a full tank of gas. You just have to pay for the gas you use, and if you don't like the rate, you can choose another company.

You don't have to show up for work sober. Find a job that lets you show up drunk.

Your voting example doesn't even make sense so not going to address, but the point is that the kids don't have another choice. If they want to have any chance of playing in the league, they need to go to college.

herb

Helluva Engineer

To be fair, they aren’t given anything. They work their tails off

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Because they've voluntarily agreed to participate in an activity that currently doesn't allow it? And in exchange for that agreement they were given tangible consideration in the form of tuition, room, board, academic assistance, etc. Not saying they should not be allowed to take advantage of their likeness at the end of the day, but that is definitely a legitimate reason.
I think voluntarily is suspect here. What other options do they have if they want to play football for a living one day? The only real options were come to college where we will force you to not make money on your likeness or give up football forever. Your choice.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think voluntarily is suspect here. What other options do they have if they want to play football for a living one day? The only real options were come to college where we will force you to not make money on your likeness or give up football forever. Your choice.

Playing professional football is an extremely rare privilege. Those rare opportunities often require us to make tough choices and jump through hoops we think are illogical. If I was smart enough to want to become a Supreme Court Justice, I'm not required to go to an elite law school, but it's really my only option. It's still a voluntary choice, and in return for that I agree to move to a place without sweet tea and freeze my *** off because they won't let me do it online.

BonafideJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So I am still waiting, what is the reason why they should not be paid? And the answer can't just be because it has always been that way. I can tell you several reasons why they should get paid, but I am sure you know all of those.

None of your examples are appropriate here. You don't have to return a rental car with a full tank of gas. You just have to pay for the gas you use, and if you don't like the rate, you can choose another company.

You don't have to show up for work sober. Find a job that lets you show up drunk.

Your voting example doesn't even make sense so not going to address, but the point is that the kids don't have another choice. If they want to have any chance of playing in the league, they need to go to college.

These examples do make sense, because you are not required to do any of them. In exchange for the opportunity to rent a car, keep my current job, or vote, I agree to restrictions. Yes, I could find another car company that doesn't have the model that I want, or another job that pays less, or simply choose not to vote. Just like football players are not required to participate in college football to pursue a career in the sport - it's just their best opportunity to do so. In exchange for that opportunity, they currently must be willing to forego certain things.

In short, the answer for why they should not be paid is because they agreed that tuition, room, board, national exposure, etc was an adequate consideration for their services and they were willing to forego profiting on their likeness. That's life. We can change the agreement, but that doesn't mean the current one is illegitimate.

Last edited:

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Technically no they don’t, the conferences negotiated the TV rights and the Bowl series & CFB are not NCAA sanctioned events

CFP or CFB? Regardless, I’m not sure this changes what I said. Aren’t athletes required to register with the NCAA before they are eligible to play? If so, it seems like the schools have given the NCAA oversight and control over the conferences and the athletic departments of the schools within the conferences. How much money would their likeness be worth if they weren’t playing sports as an NCAA athlete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk