Is college football near the end as we know it.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
This already exists - it's called soccer and the same teams win (or compete) for the championship every year (except the blue moon year when a Leicester City wins).

To be honest, no salary cap sports leagues suck but what is best for the players is my top priority, so in that sense I am very happy with this legislation and hope it continues to catch on. They deserve a larger piece of the pie than they are currently getting.

I very much plan to support my alma mater and its football team regardless of what college football looks like decades down the road, just like I have when we've won 3 games and been completely uncompetitive.
MLB doesn’t have a salary cap and it seems to do pretty well. I know the argument there is, “Well the Yankees win every year.” But this is the first year they’re a favorite to even be in the World Series. Look how many different champions there have been in the last 20 years, as opposed to the capped leagues of the NFL and NBA where the same 3-4 literally win the championship every year (looking at you Patriots and Warriors.) If you really look at it historically, there’s usually a few teams in every league that are favored to win it all every year. That’s no different in college sports. Duke, UNC, Kansas, Villanova, etc. in basketball, and Bama, OSU, Oklahoma, Clemson, etc. in football.

Last edited:

gtkevin12

Jolly Good Fellow
I can see this causing problems at every school. Just a few quick examples off the top of my head.

1. There will definitely be "locker room" problems. I believe this will destroy the team culture/chemistry that we all know is so important to success. There will be players who are be paid large amounts, and there will be players who think they should be getting paid large amounts. Nothing can break apart a team faster than jealousy and animosity towards teammates.

2. Athletes will play for individual glory before team success. For example, a basketball player might be tempted to shoot 30 times per game to make sure he is the leading scorer. Or, a QB might not pitch to the open man b/c he wants to score the game winning touchdown. Fame/attention equals $$ and some will put that before winning.

These 2 scenarios could have a huge influence on the overall success or failure of the program...

3. What happens when an "official" logo, trademark, color, etc. Is used in an advertisement or promotion? Will the school agree? Will the school also get paid? I think it would be hard to have a player endorsing a company if he couldn't be associated with the school/team.

4. What happens if GT (or any school) doesn't want to be associated with the companies/products their players want to endorse? For example, say a player from North GA loves hunting & guns, so the gun manufacturer in their home town wants to use them in their advertising. What if GT does not want to be associated with guns? Then what happens??

I think this is going to create a lot more problems than people expect.

Last edited:

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I remember reading that Shug Jordan hated Bobby Dodd for the rest of his life for turning Auburn into the NCAA for recruiting violations in 1956. Auburn was on NCAA probation from 1956-1960 and won a National Championship on probation in 1957.
Wow. Never knew we were the ones who turned them in. Figured it was an internal dispute within the state of Alabama.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not giving to read through this whole thread, so someone may have said this already, but I think this is a dumbass idea. Why? Because these kids are getting scholarships that are basically paying for their entire college education. How is it then fair for those who don't play sports?Who are not only NOT getting a free ride through college, but also not getting paid extra money on top of that? It's bullcrap.

Frankly, I think the NCAA needs to step in and prevent players from sitting out if they plan on going in the draft. Seriously, these kids are getting their free ride in college to PLAY at the the school and some of them are sitting out half the season or in their bowl games. It's selfish and needs to stop.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
I can see this causing problems at every school. Just a few quick examples off the top of my head.

1. There will definitely be "locker room" problems. I believe this will destroy the team culture/chemistry that we all know is so important to success. There will be players who are be paid large amounts, and there will be players who think they should be getting paid large amounts. Nothing can break apart a team faster than jealousy and animosity towards teammates.

2. Athletes will play for individual glory before team success. For example, a basketball player might be tempted to shoot 30 times per game to make sure he is the leading scorer. Or, a QB might not pitch to the open man b/c he wants to score the game winning touchdown. Fame/attention equals $$ and some will put that before winning.

These 2 scenarios could have a huge influence on the overall success or failure of the program...

3. What happens when an "official" logo, trademark, color, etc. Is used in an advertisement or promotion? Will the school agree? Will the school also get paid? I think it would be hard to have a player endorsing a company if he couldn't be associated with the school/team.

4. What happens if GT (or any school) doesn't want to be associated with the companies/products their players want to endorse? For example, say a player from North GA loves hunting & guns, so the gun manufacturer in their home town wants to use them in their advertising. What if GT does not want to be associated with guns? Then what happens??

I think this is going to create a lot more problems than people expect.

You can make all of these same arguments with professional sports.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
MLB doesn’t have a salary cap and it seems to do pretty well. I know the argument there is, “Well the Yankees win every year.” But this is the first year they’re a favorite to even be in the World Series. Look how many different champions there have been in the last 20 years, as opposed to the capped leagues of the NFL and NBA where the same 3-4 literally win the championship every year (looking at you Patriots and Warriors.) If you really look at it historically, there’s usually a few teams in every league that are favored to win it all every year. That’s no different in college sports. Duke, UNC, Kansas, Villanova, etc. in basketball, and Bama, OSU, Oklahoma, Clemson, etc. in football.

Let's be honest at why the reason for that is -- baseball is a large percentage luck. Sabermetrics has dug into what makes a baseball player/team win more. Even the best teams in baseball are winning under 2/3s of their games. That's most definitely not the case for most sports.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
You can make all of these same arguments with professional sports.

College football is becoming a professional sport.

This legislation furthers the professionalization. Other progressive states will follow and likely will have other incentives. As the article referenced earlier in this thread, this is going to get even more complicated. The NCAA is in a difficult position.

Something that occurred to me is that CGC may be the right head coach to take Tech into this brave new world of college "professional" football.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
This already exists - it's called soccer and the same teams win (or compete) for the championship every year (except the blue moon year when a Leicester City wins).

To be honest, no salary cap sports leagues suck but what is best for the players is my top priority, so in that sense I am very happy with this legislation and hope it continues to catch on. They deserve a larger piece of the pie than they are currently getting.

I very much plan to support my alma mater and its football team regardless of what college football looks like decades down the road, just like I have when we've won 3 games and been completely uncompetitive.
Sounds great until people stop watching. Then the money goes away and the kids that aren’t getting the education anymore are even worse off. This is a bit of hyperbole, but it’s meant to demonstrate how complex of an issue this is. I’m open to the idea, but the moment they change this rule it’s going to open up about 50 loop holes that will not have been considered.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Only people making this a cluster is those trying to preserve this faux- amateurism.

If some outside entity wants to pay me $1mil for my likeness, why should the NCAA should the power the stop me?

If I wanted to watch professionals then I would go to the Falcons game. If players are being paid in any way, then it is adios to college football. The players who want to play professionally and be paid should be allowed to do that with the factory schools in a minor league setup. The real student athletes would remain amateurs and play in the other schools. It may well be we are headed towards some kind of break up along those lines or something similar. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If I wanted to watch professionals then I would go to the Falcons game. If players are being paid in any way, then it is adios to college football. The players who want to play professionally and be paid should be allowed to do that with the factory schools in a minor league setup. The real student athletes would remain amateurs and play in the other schools. It may well be we are headed towards some kind of break up along those lines or something similar. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
You don’t think it’s a little ridiculous a college athlete can’t go out to eat and have their meal payed for by a fan, or anyone other than a family member? Or they can’t sell their own autograph for a few bucks? Or hold a camp/give lessons to kids in their hometown and make money off of it? It’s not about schools paying players. It’s about giving players the opportunity to make money on their own market value. Seems pretty educational to me

Animal02

Banned
You don’t think it’s a little ridiculous a college athlete can’t go out to eat and have their meal payed for by a fan, or anyone other than a family member? Or they can’t sell their own autograph for a few bucks? Or hold a camp/give lessons to kids in their hometown and make money off of it? It’s not about schools paying players. It’s about giving players the opportunity to make money on their own market value. Seems pretty educational to me
So you have a few five stars that will migrate to where ever the biggest booster will pay whatever $$$ for his signature, photo etc. In a couple of years you will have a dozen teams with essentially professional player and everyone else is non competitive. There is a reason the pros strive to keep relative parity.....to keep interest.

Animal02

Banned
College football is becoming a professional sport.

This legislation furthers the professionalization. Other progressive states will follow and likely will have other incentives. As the article referenced earlier in this thread, this is going to get even more complicated. The NCAA is in a difficult position.

Something that occurred to me is that CGC may be the right head coach to take Tech into this brave new world of college "professional" football.
And if it does, I will tune out.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
So you have a few five stars that will migrate to where ever the biggest booster will pay whatever $$$ for his signature, photo etc. In a couple of years you will have a dozen teams with essentially professional player and everyone else is non competitive. There is a reason the pros strive to keep relative parity.....to keep interest.
Is there parity in college football now? We are 5 weeks into the season and most people can probably guess 3 of the 4 playoff teams. They probably could have before the season even started. If you want real parity we also need to start limiting coaches salaries, recruiting budgets, and facility spending. There is already an arms race that only a few are really participating in, this would just add one more factor to that.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Do you honestly believe there is parity in college football now? There has really never been parity in any college sport. Because there is no draft. Teams and schools that are good, stay good and continue to make money. Teams and schools that are bad continue to stay bad and lose money. There’s only been 10 unique FBS national champions in the last 20 years, and only 3 of them haven’t won (at least a share of) multiple championships in that span (Miami & Texas, those big city schools, & Auburn who plays second fiddle to Alabama in its state). That means that 7 teams have more or less dominated a league that has nearly 130 members. Does having the same 13% or less of a league with a chance to win a championship year in and year constitute parity?

Animal02

Banned
Do you honestly believe there is parity in college football now? There has really never been parity in any college sport. Because there is no draft. Teams and schools that are good, stay good and continue to make money. Teams and schools that are bad continue to stay bad and lose money. There’s only been 10 unique FBS national champions in the last 20 years, and only 3 of them haven’t won (at least a share of) multiple championships in that span (Miami & Texas, those big city schools, & Auburn who plays second fiddle to Alabama in its state). That means that 7 teams have more or less dominated a league that has nearly 130 members. Does having the same 13% or less of a league with a chance to win a championship year in and year constitute parity?
Yes the last decade has changed things. But on the other hand the top twenty 25 has had something like 90 teams represented over the last couple of decades. The NCAA will need to do something to limit spending and personnel......to bring it back around. Adding to the spending race will just further the downward cycle.

Animal02

Banned
Is there parity in college football now? We are 5 weeks into the season and most people can probably guess 3 of the 4 playoff teams. They probably could have before the season even started. If you want real parity we also need to start limiting coaches salaries, recruiting budgets, and facility spending. There is already an arms race that only a few are really participating in, this would just add one more factor to that.
Agree completely....I think the NCAA is /was getting to that point. Up until the last decade (or two) when the $$$ arms race began, there was relative parity......teams rose and fell. I think the change happened so rapidly, with teams essentially buying championships, that lots were caught off guard.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Yes the last decade has changed things. But on the other hand the top twenty 25 has had something like 90 teams represented over the last couple of decades. The NCAA will need to do something to limit spending and personnel......to bring it back around. Adding to the spending race will just further the downward cycle.
But even if you go back and look at deep history, the teams with the most money won the championships. For the first 3 or so decades, the Ivy’s dominated the sport. It then branches out into some of the other northern and western teams, because they still had the most money. From the 40s through the 60s and maybe into the 70s is where the highest concentration of unique champions are. Once the 80s were over and into the 90s and 00s, there’s only been about 25 teams to ever have a sliver of hope to win a national title.

Maybe someone better Excel or any other graphing program than me could create a graphic of the decades with how many unique and first time champions there were vs. how many repeat champions. I can almost promise you that no team that has never won a National championship before will win one in the foreseeable future.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Lou Holtz made a good point. Revenue sports support non revenue. How do you administer this change?

He sees two outcomes ... a national program centrally administered, e.g., by the government. Or .. a non-scholarship system based on need like the Ivy League.

He mentioned that CA may find itself ineligible to compete in NCAA events.