Is college football near the end as we know it.

Scubapro

Banned
I’m fine with this with one caveat.

Atheletes sign up with a school that immediately issues a tuition waiver. If the school in SC offers money ... fine. And if the SA leaves, the SA must reimburse the AA for the value of the tuition waiver.

A better way to do this is through revenue sharing ... to pay it all into a general fund with 40% going to an individual, 60% to all others. Easy. If an SA wants more, turn pro.

Maybe....How about holding all funds until the player graduates. (They must graduate within 3 years of leaving the school). If not the money is sent to a charity or better yet Alexander Tharpe.

Seriously, the NCAA doesn't administer justice as it is now...who seriously thinks adding more $$ and complexity is a good thing?
Things are gonna get squirly real quick. I dont see anyone at Tech with enough foresight to make sure our athletics dept comes out breaking even through this.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
You're right...I don't understand how that works. So the NCAA doesn't protect its revenue stream to generate large salaries for its employees?
My argument is the NCAA doesn't act anything like a non profit IMO.
I dont know what the answer is but maybe its time to dismantle the NCAA.
Here’s a breakdown of how the billion in revenue is spent. We love to go on witch hunts without knowing the actual numbers.

So if you’re going to be mad at anyone maybe it’s the schools who agree to pay the huge sums of money to the coaches. The money is distributed to help the athletes and programs. The schools are the ones that decide to pay ridiculous salaries.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Where Does the Money Go-WEB.PDF

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Only people making this a cluster is those trying to preserve this faux- amateurism.

If some outside entity wants to pay me $1mil for my likeness, why should the NCAA should the power the stop me?
The main issue I see is it circumvents many things that create at least some level of parody today. As I mentioned earlier, if this takes hold scholarship limits don’t matter. Alabama can have 100 paid players and take everyone that wants to go there. Same with every other huge market school.

The NFL gets around this with salary caps. Most players get the bulk of their income from the team, and the team can only spend so much. What if there weren’t caps? Who would be the best teams?

Add to this that the same group that supports it also thinks there shouldn’t be transfer restrictions.

What would pro sports look like with 100% unrestricted free agency and no salary caps?

Scubapro

Banned
Here’s a breakdown of how the billion in revenue is spent. We love to go on witch hunts without knowing the actual numbers.

So if you’re going to be mad at anyone maybe it’s the schools who agree to pay the huge sums of money to the coaches. The money is distributed to help the athletes and programs. The schools are the ones that decide to pay ridiculous salaries.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Where Does the Money Go-WEB.PDF
Yeah...because the NCAA has always been fair and equitable to Ga Tech

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
One major consequence that no one is talking about is that it renders scholarship limits useless. Big money schools can now just have as many walk on players as they want that are paid 50 k per year from “endorsements.”

We will be back to where teams like Notre Dame used to have three times the players as they opponents when there were no scholarship limits.
Don’t forget Tech left the SEC because of scholarship limits. We wanted more ships and we were one of the richest programs back then. We could afford it.

We are gonna haft to pony up if we want to play with the big boys.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
The main issue I see is it circumvents many things that create at least some level of parody today. As I mentioned earlier, if this takes hold scholarship limits don’t matter. Alabama can have 100 paid players and take everyone that wants to go there. Same with every other huge market school.

The NFL gets around this with salary caps. Most players get the bulk of their income from the team, and the team can only spend so much. What if there weren’t caps? Who would be the best teams?

Add to this that the same group that supports it also thinks there shouldn’t be transfer restrictions.

What would pro sports look like with 100% unrestricted free agency and no salary caps?
It gets worse: non-scholarship athletes do not factor into APR calculation. How long before programs realize that they can "green-shirt" their players with large endorsements, pulling their scholarship and reclassifying them as "walk-ons"—and as a result, not only opening up that scholarship for someone else, but also allowing the green-shirted players to take basket-weaving courses that prop up their GPA without contributing to their degree, and yet take no APR hit. (Looking at you, Carolina...)

herb

Helluva Engineer
Don’t forget Tech left the SEC because of scholarship limits. We wanted more ships and we were one of the richest programs back then. We could afford it.

We are gonna haft to pony up if we want to play with the big boys.

I always thought one of the reasons we gave for leaving was that Alabama did this, not that we wanted to do it

Animal02

Banned

Simple....NY, LA, then CHI and onward down the media markets.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I always thought one of the reasons we gave for leaving was that Alabama did this, not that we wanted to do it

Yeah, I thought it had something to do with Bear Bryant’s unscrupulous recruiting practices and an Alabama player rearranging a Tech player’s face during a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
This particular thing is only about making money on one’s likeness. I see no problem with that and that has very little effect overall on College Football. The Tim Tebow’s and Baker Mayfield’s of the world will make good money off of endorsements and jersey sales, but the average college athlete won’t be affected by this one way or the other and the same can be said about the schools as a whole.

However, if they start paying players(which I’m not inherently against), college football as we know it will cease to exist. There will be a new level of college football that will probably have 20ish teams. We would not be one of them...which might actually be a good thing. We’ll compete with the other 100 schools in a lower division(that will still be televised and beloved because the majority of FBS teams won’t have the money or resources to be in that elite class) and have a more leveled playing field than we do now. It won’t be like FCS nowadays. Teams like Bama, Clemson, UGA and OSU would essentially be a minor league for the NFL. We’d be a second tier that is basically the average NCAA program now.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

This already exists - it's called soccer and the same teams win (or compete) for the championship every year (except the blue moon year when a Leicester City wins).

To be honest, no salary cap sports leagues suck but what is best for the players is my top priority, so in that sense I am very happy with this legislation and hope it continues to catch on. They deserve a larger piece of the pie than they are currently getting.

I very much plan to support my alma mater and its football team regardless of what college football looks like decades down the road, just like I have when we've won 3 games and been completely uncompetitive.

HurricaneJacket

Helluva Engineer
This will make the playing field even more uneven.
I read an article stating that there are currently only 10 teams in the mix to win the National Championship this year ... think of that for a second, we are only 1/3 of the way through the season and out of 120 (or so) D1 teams, only 10 are still alive.
And, most all of us could name all 10 teams without any trouble ...
This became inevitable the moment we made the playoff a beauty contest for the committee imstead of a win and your in playoff based on winning conference championships. Unless that changes or P5 splits this won't change unfortunately

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
In “Dodd’s Luck” Dodd said the SEC had a limit of 140 scholarships in FB & BB combined. We would not process players out whereas Bama and others would to stay under the limit. So we were in danger of going over the limit.
We asked the league to eliminate the 140 limit and they refused. We had the money and could afford the scholarships but a majority of the schools resented us and said take a hike.
Same today as if ever was. If we want to win big again we are going to have to do a little processing I’m afraid.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
In “Dodd’s Luck” Dodd said the SEC had a limit of 140 scholarships in FB & BB combined. We would not process players out whereas Bama and others would to stay under the limit. So we were in danger of going over the limit.
We asked the league to eliminate the 140 limit and they refused. We had the money and could afford the scholarships but a majority of the schools resented us and said take a hike.
Same today as if ever was. If we want to win big again we are going to have to do a little processing I’m afraid.
I remember reading that Shug Jordan hated Bobby Dodd for the rest of his life for turning Auburn into the NCAA for recruiting violations in 1956. Auburn was on NCAA probation from 1956-1960 and won a National Championship on probation in 1957.