Ireland

etbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Got my ticket a month ago. FINALLY made my flight/hotel reservations today through Travelocity. Anyone else staying at the Waldron Hotel Pearce Street? Looks like a very easy walk to the stadium, and got a great flight/hotel combo rate.

We aren't staying at the Maldron Hotel on Pearce Street, but we are close. 5 of us booked a flat for the days around the game and if Google Maps is correct, we are literally right across the street. We'll have to bring a flag or something to hang from our balcony!

We aren't staying at the Maldron Hotel on Pearce Street, but we are close. 5 of us booked a flat for the days around the game and if Google Maps is correct, we are literally right across the street. We'll have to bring a flag or something to hang from our balcony!
Sweet. I'm traveling alone, but I will be hooking up with buzz_wiser and his son. We need to touch base some before we all leave. I fly out of here on Tuesday of game week, arriving there Wed afternoon. Probably going on a train/air trip to the Aral Islands on Thursday with buzz and his son. Plan on spending all day Friday in Dublin, going to the pep rally, etc.

etbee

Georgia Tech Fan
Sweet. I'm traveling alone, but I will be hooking up with buzz_wiser and his son. We need to touch base some before we all leave. I fly out of here on Tuesday of game week, arriving there Wed afternoon. Probably going on a train/air trip to the Aral Islands on Thursday with buzz and his son. Plan on spending all day Friday in Dublin, going to the pep rally, etc.

We will be driving all over Ireland for the week before the game and getting back into Dublin probably mid-day on Friday. We come home on Labor Day.

Animal02

Banned
We will be driving all over Ireland for the week before the game and getting back into Dublin probably mid-day on Friday. We come home on Labor Day.
Driving on the wrong side of the road is an interesting experience. The thing I kept forgetting was the right lane is not the slow one. Also driving a stick was difficult. The gear patternn being the same, but I had a tendency to pull inward shifting from first, which meant 1-4. Oops

IMGT83

Georgia Tech Fan
I am traveling alone to Dublin for the game. I am staying at The Grand Hotel in Malahide just NE of Dublin. I have stayed there before - beautiful hotel on the coast. My company used to operate a chemical plant in Swords - just outside of Dublin.

Arriving that Monday and am playing golf 2-4 times that week with a good friend. I suspect I will make it into Dublin a couple times late that week to see what Tech supporters I can find and drink/party with.

Are there any "official" or already pinned pubs/major team hotels with any planned get-togethers?

Thanks,

Al
Atlanta

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Driving on the wrong side of the road is an interesting experience. The thing I kept forgetting was the right lane is not the slow one. Also driving a stick was difficult. The gear patternn being the same, but I had a tendency to pull inward shifting from first, which meant 1-4. Oops

My wife and I are going to Ireland for 10 days in late October ..... I'll make sure we get an automatic. I own and drive a manual, but the idea of shifting with the left hand is really strange. Just remember to think about the traffic circles; if you rent a car after the red-eye they can be even more challenging.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Anyone that is renting a car absolutely should take out the extra insurance. It's outrageously expensive, and seems like a racket, but it's worse if you get a ding or a scratch. Even a minor road damage (think of all the gravel roads there) is going to cost you $800-$1000 out of your pocket if you don't get the outrageous insurance. They've gone crazy with renting to foreigners in Ireland. My wife, kids and in-laws just got back. Rented a vehicle for 3 weeks and the extra insurance was crazy expensive.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Anyone that is renting a car absolutely should take out the extra insurance. It's outrageously expensive, and seems like a racket, but it's worse if you get a ding or a scratch. Even a minor road damage (think of all the gravel roads there) is going to cost you $800-$1000 out of your pocket if you don't get the outrageous insurance. They've gone crazy with renting to foreigners in Ireland. My wife, kids and in-laws just got back. Rented a vehicle for 3 weeks and the extra insurance was crazy expensive.

Absolutely! Your personal auto policy does NOT extend to rentals outside of the U.S. and Canada!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Man I'm jealous of all y'all that are going. I really want to visit Ireland (I loved Scotland on my honeymoon) and to be able to watch Tech play there on top? Oh boy. Hope all have a wonderful trip.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Absolutely! Your personal auto policy does NOT extend to rentals outside of the U.S. and Canada!
A select few credit cards seem to cover rentals in Ireland, some up to $50K... Chase Sapphire is one and also has no foreign transaction fees.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
A select few credit cards seem to cover rentals in Ireland, some up to $50K... Chase Sapphire is one and also has no foreign transaction fees.

True, I was just wanting to let folks know about their own policies. In years past I've have customers go to Mexico and have the car stolen, they get back and find out their policy does not cover such losses.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
For those driving there for 1st time, keep reminding yourself that left turns are tight turns and right turns are wide.

Animal02

Banned
Also, for those renting and driving.....on rural roads, be care coming around curves and over hills tops,. I almost killed a few sheep. On the Ring of Kerry, the roads are very narrow. I had to pull into the hedges and fold in the mirrors for buses to get by. I highly recommend Kindle for those making it to the southwest coast. Seafood is incredible. If you do make it there,. check out the Spaniard pub.