Introduce yourself

DaddyBill

Jolly Good Fellow
Apparently the very old man of this group. Just so happens I grew up in Atlanta watching the Jackets from the West Stands, when my uncle would take me to the games back in the late '50s and early '60s. Yes...those days of Bobby Dodd, Billy Lothridge and Billy Martin. Became a sports writer in college and covered Tech's games when Ned West was the SID and Al Ciraldo did the play-by-play. ("Fans, if you can't take part in a sport, be one!") And, oh, BTW...I am '14 football commit Tre' Jackson's grandfather. So life is coming full circle and I am both pleased and excited.

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
Apparently the very old man of this group. Just so happens I grew up in Atlanta watching the Jackets from the West Stands, when my uncle would take me to the games back in the late '50s and early '60s. Yes...those days of Bobby Dodd, Billy Lothridge and Billy Martin. Became a sports writer in college and covered Tech's games when Ned West was the SID and Al Ciraldo did the play-by-play. ("Fans, if you can't take part in a sport, be one!") And, oh, BTW...I am '14 football commit Tre' Jackson's grandfather. So life is coming full circle and I am both pleased and excited.

Wow, welcome. That's quite an introduction.

Hope Tre is as excited about committing to play at Tech as us fans are about seeing him on the field!

DaddyBill

Jolly Good Fellow
John,

Tre' is extremely excited about coming to Tech and enrolling in January. In fact we are going to be at the camp this Sunday, but just to watch and help with getting some more Jackets. For the record, from his physical the grandson is 5' 8 3/4" (sock-footed) and weighed 228. (He also squats 510 lbs....lol)

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Welcome, Daddy bill!

Glad to have you here...awesome story and congrats on Tre! I have interviewed Tre before and he is one of the most well spoken young man that I have the chance to talk to. He is a first class kid all the way...and I love him as a football player. He's a throwback type of player that loves to lay the wood! Can't wait to have him at Tech.

jdubjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
'06 MGT grad.
I'm a commercial real estate appraiser and have been doing it for just over 7 years now. Wasn't a big college guy growing up - watched the Falcons and the Braves mainly. My parents are from Oklahoma and both attended OU, so I had some exposure to college football watching some Sooners football when I was a kid. But after getting on campus in '01 and watching GT football, I was hooked.
Married for 4 years, no kids, 3 dogs, and just bought a house in Peachtree Corners that is sucking up all my money.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
Buisness Management still in school. ATO, been a huge Tech fan my whole life. Mom, dad, brother, grandparents, uncles, aunts, everyone went to tech, so that's all I know and I absolutely cant stand uga, mainly bc all my friends from hs were uga fans and the only reason they liked them was bc everyone else does! Enough venting though. I am a HUGE Atlanta sports fan. Hawks, braves, falcons....cant get enough of them. Very knowlegable on sports, they are my one thing I just love. Hoping one day to see a championship for one of my teams.(don't count the 95 world series b/c I was like 4ish) Played all sports in hs, and could of played multiple sports at a lower level in college but I had always wanted to go to tech. Im a big golfer, and if anyone ever wants to play, let me know! Been reading these things for a long time but never have really shared my thoughts. Lastly, im a HUGE PJ fan and am extremely confident hes going to take us places we haven't been in a while. Sorry for the rant! Appreciate what you do Eric!

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
I am born and bred here in the state of Georgia. I am 33 years young and have been a die hard GT fan since conception. I have been following GT recruiting since "The Hive" days. Anyone else remember Wally Yappo 6'9 350 offensive lineman prospect... lol. I am so thankful that ERIC started this site.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm a '97 Biology grad. Been a Tech fan all my life. Dad played fullback '63-'66 (that's him in the avatar). Brother was a walk-on and ME grad '90. Came to the University of Florida (where I now work) for graduate school partially because they hate the dawgs almost as much as we do. If we ever play the gators though, I will have to be wearing white and gold. Thanks, Eric for starting this site, and for all of your insights on the team. I like the quality of the young men we are building the program on, and I really hope we can get back some of the glory from the not too recent past. I still have my chunk of turf from the Citrus Bowl in '91....just hope we get close to that level again. THWG!

Chattjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Thanks for the great site Eric (and other administrators)!

I'm an '07 MGT grad and a CPA. Grew up a UT fan, as my dad is from the Knoxville area. I still follow UT, but converted to GT around 2000. I had always followed them a little bit, but was never a die hard fan until then. While at Tech, I never missed a home football or men's bball game, including neutral site bball games played at Philips and the GA Dome. My only regret is that I didn't get to go to San Antonio for the Final Four. Being a relatively new fan, most of my fondest GT sports memories are from the last 15 years, and include: the Final Four run; getting to watch Calvin Johnson's career; getting to play pickup bball with Calvin and Jarrett Jack; being at the 2008 FSU game, 2009 VT game, & 2011 Clemson game; and getting into LD Williams head enough that he yelled obscenities at me during at timeout at the GT/WF game in 2007. Hopefully after this season I can add watching GT beat UGA in person to that list.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Hello; some of you may remember my user name as jaypar from the old days with other sites. I am 67 yrs old. My dad went to Tech so he took me to games at a early age. I finally had to give up my tickets. My job as a D/O for the coweta co. sheriff dept. prevents going to many games. I used to be very active in recruiting for Tech when fans could do so. I had meetings w/ C. Curry ,Weaver the ad., Ciraldo ,and had assistents to eat at my house before some high school games. As jaypar on other sites; I was THE FIRST to call down Carol Moore as the down fall of Ga. Tech football. Also the first to call our Ad. Braine - Brainless! Though I can't get to the fb. and bb games anymore I AM A HUGE TECH STREET FAN. PJ is the man for us. I believe this may be the important football year in our history. A very good year would be huge in the fan's, recuits's, and the media's perception of where we headed from here out. A bad year will have a negative bias for quite awile. This is a wonderful site with NO attacks, no sabetaged topics, and got my special interest recruiting for us. If any of you have any questions of my opinion on rec. or any other item that brought up all you need to do is start a thread. Go get em jackets!!

Josh Joseph

Georgia Tech Fan
Josh

'11 IE Grad now working for UPS and GT fan since I moved to GA from Texas in 98. Just found this site and I think my life is now complete. Thank you all for the info.

DaddyBill

Jolly Good Fellow
Hello jaypar....nice to see another "oldie" on this site. Do you remember when the NFL came to Atlanta and GT took a 180-degree turn in how it related to people? Ole Ned West was as nice as he could be to folks instead of being Mr. Stuck-up. I was sports editor for The LaGrange Daily News at that time...so there were a lot of trips up US 29 through Newman. Welcome.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
Hello jaypar....nice to see another "oldie" on this site. Do you remember when the NFL came to Atlanta and GT took a 180-degree turn in how it related to people? Ole Ned West was as nice as he could be to folks instead of being Mr. Stuck-up. I was sports editor for The LaGrange Daily News at that time...so there were a lot of trips up US 29 through Newman. Welcome.

the nfl took up a lot of press and fan excitement from our guys!! Thanks for your reply!!

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Sidewalk fan here, undergrad in History, about to finish my masters of Religion and then going to go on to Doctoral work. Was born in Texas but family moved here when I was young. I grew up with my father taking me to the old "thrillerdome" and Bobby Dodd. I became a Tech fan when I was 10 years old and my elementary had a "college" day where all the students wore their school colors. The entire school was dawgs and I was sitting there in burnt orange Texas shirt. There was this one guy who had the thickest coke bottle classes I can remember and wore TECH gear. He got hounded mercilessly pretty much all day.

Near the end of the day, all my friends, who were those UGA people, and were the ones picking on the Tech guy, asked me who I was for, Tech or Georgia... I walked over and put my arm about the coke bottle glass guy and said TECH. Never looked back since.

To hell with Georgia

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm a current BSBA/MGT student at GT, went to my first GT football game in '07 (last-minute game-winning field goal by Travis Bell over UNC), but my first season of seriously following the team wasn't till 2008. Still remember the first game I watched, the Gator Bowl where Taylor Bennett and Calvin had a field day on WVU but found a way to lose. Best games I've been to were Wake Forest 2009, Clemson 2011, and this past year's Sun Bowl. Excited for this season!