In all seriousness if we lose next week how bad will it get?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
you're right - I was just trying to think of a blowout game where the scheme couldn't beat the talent differential. Maybe 2018? Regardless, you understand what I'm saying here :)

Agreed. Though it's probably a bit more nuanced than simply scheme. The 2018 game is a prime example. With a non-optimal QB running the offense, the available playbook in the 3O was severely restricted, which allows the opposing team to focus on taking away the most likely plays. We saw this in 2018. In 2015, we saw the opposite. In spite of a pitiful year, we still had weapons at QB and AB, (OL and BB were the issues) and managed to hold our own against a far more talented foe. uga having an off game at the end of a dismal 2015 season didn't hurt us either.

Either way, KSU simply doesn't have the talent to keep us from running up the score unless things go really wrong for us. We should win by 4 TDs this Saturday.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
I like how the dline getting no push is the coaches fault and not the fact that we haven't got pressure in over 5 years

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. Though it's probably a bit more nuanced than simply scheme. The 2018 game is a prime example. With a non-optimal QB running the offense, the available playbook in the 3O was severely restricted, which allows the opposing team to focus on taking away the most likely plays. We saw this in 2018. In 2015, we saw the opposite. In spite of a pitiful year, we still had weapons at QB and AB, (OL and BB were the issues) and managed to hold our own against a far more talented foe. uga having an off game at the end of a dismal 2015 season didn't hurt us either.

Either way, KSU simply doesn't have the talent to keep us from running up the score unless things go really wrong for us. We should win by 4 TDs this Saturday.
The 3O is designed to help minimize talent mismatches. If they can pull of any death marches and dramaticly shorten the game we wont even score 4TDs much less win by 4.

Hell how many times have we even scored 30 or more points in during this great CGC experiment. The odds of us winning by 4TDs against a 3O team are practically ZERO. I cant understand the thought process on this one.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I like how the dline getting no push is the coaches fault and not the fact that we haven't got pressure in over 5 years
Just talking about Saturday, the GT defensive line sturdily outmatched the NIU offensive line physically. Ibeeballin posted a picture of GT rushing 5 against 8 blockers. What kind of push do you expect from that? I saw the NIU offense snap the ball while the defensive line was still looking at the sideline to get the defensive play call. Whose fault is that? I saw the defensive linemen not have enough time between getting the defensive call to get set before the ball was snapped. Whose fault is that?

The defensive play can't be blamed on being physically overmatched. I haven't watched the broadcast, except for a few small parts that I wanted to understand what happened. I don't know what mistakes the defensive line made. I do know that they were frequently not in position to make plays because they couldn't get a play called and in to the team on time.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Is there a football division below NAIA? We could start up the discussion again about dropping down a few divisions. 🙄
I have a young man at church who recently played at Birmingham Southern. They did not give out scholarships and had over 50 people on the team. They played in what used to be called NCAA Division III, it may still be for all I know. Maybe we can get in their league next year if this thing blows up. That is about what the Tech administration seems to want to happen.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

The operative word in your last sentence is "SHOULD" but I agree. Scheme cannot make up for a huge mismatch on both lines. If I were Thacker, I would take a page from Cutliff's playbook and assign my best athlete, say Charlie Thomas or one of the safeties to shoot the gap every play. See that SOB with the ball? Go nail his ***. Simple.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
The 3O is designed to help minimize talent mismatches. If they can pull of any death marches and dramaticly shorten the game we wont even score 4TDs much less win by 4.

Hell how many times have we even scored 30 or more points in during this great CGC experiment. The odds of us winning by 4TDs against a 3O team are practically ZERO. I cant understand the thought process on this one.

Because of the disparity in talent. GT vs uga in 2018. There is a greater talent disparity between KSU and us than there was between us and uga in 2018. Yes, scheme can overcome, and yes, poor coaching on our part can help even the odds, but the simple fact is that due to the talent delta alone, we SHOULD win by 4 TDs. Note I said should, just as I did in my original statement. That's not saying we will, but that the outcome should be a decided victory.

ramblineck

Jolly Good Fellow
Just talking about Saturday, the GT defensive line sturdily outmatched the NIU offensive line physically. Ibeeballin posted a picture of GT rushing 5 against 8 blockers. What kind of push do you expect from that? I saw the NIU offense snap the ball while the defensive line was still looking at the sideline to get the defensive play call. Whose fault is that? I saw the defensive linemen not have enough time between getting the defensive call to get set before the ball was snapped. Whose fault is that?

The defensive play can't be blamed on being physically overmatched. I haven't watched the broadcast, except for a few small parts that I wanted to understand what happened. I don't know what mistakes the defensive line made. I do know that they were frequently not in position to make plays because they couldn't get a play called and in to the team on time.
I'd expect someone to get to the qb after 5 seconds if we're so physically overmatching the other team. I would expect more than 0 sacks and 1 TFL that didnt occur until the last 5 minutes. If this is P5 vs nobodies then you'd expect us to be able to physically overmatch them. I agree there were too many times when they players weren't set or confused that is inexcusable but at some point someone has to make a play on the dline and they couldn't.

Just watch any of the top teams play like Bama, uga, etc. Their defensive players look like men against boys. We don't have that and when a lot of the guys on D are returning then maybe they just aren't that good.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

the same way that teams with more talent, size, and speed could and did stop the TO under CPJ is the thought process I'm having.

KSU shouldn't be able to pull ANY death marches and their tiny DL should be blown off the LOS all afternoon. That's also the thought process I'm having.

It's freaking KSU fercrissakes. That is ALSO the thought process I'm having lol. No offense, MtnBuzz!

ballground jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Will is the strength coach @ Reinhardt. I was on the sideline for the KSU game last Thurs. If not for a couple of back to back questionable unsportsmanlike penalties when Reinhardt had the momentum in the 4th qtr, it prob would have been a upset. If this weekends game is within 20 points going into the 4th qtr, GT has a severe head coaching problem... Either that or Reinhardt with 24 scholarships and budget the size of what GT spends on shoes, is ready to jump FCS.
I went to Reinhardt. I was cheering hard. Don't know what is in the water in Waleska but all their teams are pretty good.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
We may be out of P5 in 5 yrs instead of trying to rebuild from collins debacle.Its not just him but the $ that going to players which GT won't be able to match in this new era..
No, we will be in the P5. Probably a lot like Vandy ... take the SEC payouts and do the best you can in sports no one cares about.

Jmonty71

Banned
I don't know if comparing it to the 2015 uga game is wise. We lost that game 13-7. I'm hoping for a much more decisive outcome against KSU.
I'm hoping for a better outcome. I think if we are expecting a 20 point + win, we may be a little disappointed. At this point I just want to see a win.