In all seriousness if we lose next week how bad will it get?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
This is really no different than what CPJ would do, he basically would angry and rude at reporters for these kind of questions.
The difference is he would answer them.
That is true. Clemson's defense is every bit as good as UGA but they are not hanging 70 on us or anyone else this year. Their line is pretty ordinary and I was not impressed with the quarterback. Maybe they should try the punter again.
The unknown is which QB shows up: against B C and Notre Dame last year, or Saturday night? I think he is much closer to ND '20 than Saturday, but got caught in the headlights. Even against the fierce pass rush and seven sacks he threw for 192 yards and frankly Clemson should have won. (Fomebai, amd tje SEC acolytes are too bush boot licking to believe that. We will see. As for the O line, this about that: it gets better quick or Swinney will be looking for another position coach.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Over 400 yards last week and two running backs that came within a few yards of both of them going over 100. We outgained them by well over 100 yards and first downs were similarly one sided as we had 25 to their 15 I believe. A lot of real estate but for only three touchdowns. A pity.
Here's the difference:

GT - Sacks: 0 TFL: 1 QB Hurries: 2

NIU - Sacks: 4 TFL: 6 QB Hurries: 4

Or, to put it another way, the D wasn't effective.

GTBandman

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't expect us to get more than one or two first downs in the first half against Clemson. If they want to score 70, they will. They will have the ball 70% of the time.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Come again?
OK, different strokes for different folks..." ...Clemson's defense is every bit as good as UGA but they are not hanging 70 on us or anyone else this year..." If you watched the game, Clemson has its own offensive line and quarterback issues which cost them the game against the dwags. UGA's only TD came as a result of a pick six that was the result of the Clemson quarterback staring down a receiver. I have no doubt that we will soothe their anguish soon enough with a blowout win for the Tigers but I just do not believe it will be a historic beatdown like last year unless they put that punter back in at quarterback. But that is just me. Maybe they will if our defense begins to mail it in even more than they already are doing in which case another 70 point beatdown will be the least of our worries.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Will is the strength coach @ Reinhardt. I was on the sideline for the KSU game last Thurs. If not for a couple of back to back questionable unsportsmanlike penalties when Reinhardt had the momentum in the 4th qtr, it prob would have been a upset. If this weekends game is within 20 points going into the 4th qtr, GT has a severe head coaching problem... Either that or Reinhardt with 24 scholarships and budget the size of what GT spends on shoes, is ready to jump FCS.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Will is the strength coach @ Reinhardt. I was on the sideline for the KSU game last Thurs. If not for a couple of back to back questionable unsportsmanlike penalties when Reinhardt had the momentum in the 4th qtr, it prob would have been a upset. If this weekends game is within 20 points going into the 4th qtr, GT has a severe head coaching problem... Either that or Reinhardt with 24 scholarships and budget the size of what GT spends on shoes, is ready to jump FCS.
My take too. In a normal year we would win this game by 50+ points.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
OK, different strokes for different folks..." ...Clemson's defense is every bit as good as UGA but they are not hanging 70 on us or anyone else this year..." If you watched the game, Clemson has its own offensive line and quarterback issues which cost them the game against the dwags. UGA's only TD came as a result of a pick six that was the result of the Clemson quarterback staring down a receiver. I have no doubt that we will soothe their anguish soon enough with a blowout win for the Tigers but I just do not believe it will be a historic beatdown like last year unless they put that punter back in at quarterback. But that is just me. Maybe they will if our defense begins to mail it in even more than they already are doing in which case another 70 point beatdown will be the least of our worries.
Actually Swinney said the receiver ran the wrong route and was supposed to "sit down" in the open gap and the ball was actually well thrown. That being said they have an O line and QB mobility problem they have to fix. But what a defense.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Glad to hear Will is moving up in his career as the strength coach.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
So this game should be a bit like our worst CPJ team against one of the good P5 teams we played. Say, 2015 GT vs uga. Where our smaller-sized scheme just can't overcome the massive talent, size, and speed differential of the opposition.

If our OL can't pound tiny KSU into about 40+ points and our Defense gets pushed around & beat to the edges again, it's officially time to hit the panic button.

There is zero excuse for not blowing out KSU on both sides of the ball. At every single position outside PK, we should have far more talent. I've given up on PK though.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
So this game should be a bit like our worst CPJ team against one of the good P5 teams we played. Say, 2015 GT vs uga. Where our smaller-sized scheme just can't overcome the massive talent, size, and speed differential of the opposition.

If our OL can't pound tiny KSU into about 40+ points and our Defense gets pushed around & beat to the edges again, it's officially time to hit the panic button.

There is zero excuse for not blowing out KSU on both sides of the ball. At every single position outside PK, we should have far more talent. I've given up on PK though.

I don't know if comparing it to the 2015 uga game is wise. We lost that game 13-7. I'm hoping for a much more decisive outcome against KSU.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Actually Swinney said the receiver ran the wrong route and was supposed to "sit down" in the open gap and the ball was actually well thrown. That being said they have an O line and QB mobility problem they have to fix. But what a defense.
They may be better on defense this year than last. Clemson people were comparing this year's quarterback with Lawrence...uh, no. Not no way, not no how.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Sincere accolades to your young man on his career choice. I look forward to you keeping us informed as his career progresses. As for KSU, I am not the least bit concerned but boy howdy, the following three games are going to be a challenge for our team. We should hang 50 plus on KSU and post a shutout or perhaps a gimme touchdown. IF you have time, maybe you can fill us in on why Reinhardt gave KSU such a fit.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't know if comparing it to the 2015 uga game is wise. We lost that game 13-7. I'm hoping for a much more decisive outcome against KSU.
you're right - I was just trying to think of a blowout game where the scheme couldn't beat the talent differential. Maybe 2018? Regardless, you understand what I'm saying here :)

MACHETE

Georgia Tech Fan
Shoot. When John McKay made the mistake of leaving a soft gig at USC and stomping the living daylights out of Oregon State and the like to take on the challenge of coaching the Tampa Bay Bucs in their expansion year, he was asked in a postgame interview about his team's "execution". Being the smart aleck wisenheimer that he was, he said he "was for it".
Brian Kelly stole this line just last week after the FSU game...