Improving Georgia Tech Athletics - Crowdsourced Ideas

gte447f

Ramblin' Wreck
I didn't see the naming rights idea on the google doc yet, last time I checked, so I am commenting here as a place holder:
I am against the naming rights idea for our athletic facilities.
First time poster, btw. Nice to be here.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Alright people, another update has been made as of 4pm Thursday. At this point in time we are caught up to all ideas that have been submitted. There are currently 48 ideas listed. Some ideas were combined together as they were very similar.

If you feel like your submitted idea wasn't added, please submit it again and make sure it is a concrete idea. There were a few submitted that were hard to turn into something concrete which is important in making the eventual communication to GTAA effective. Thanks guys for your ideas and comments and keep 'em coming if you have more!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I submitted a broad idea: that we need to be aggressive, to the point of "looking desperate", in generating revenue.

One big [controversial] question I have is how would you feel about selling naming rights? Wanted to post that here and see what the feedback was. I hate the idea of being this rapacious, but can we afford to be so proud? Our budget is less than half Clemson and U[sic]GA's...

Why not just park the IP generated by the GTRI into a new fund and make GTAA a 20% holder? At $700 million a year, that's $140M.

You could sell naming rights to every building, street, park and rodent on Tech's campus and not generate that. And that is what Tech athletics needs ... is a permanent endowment based on growth in the value of underlying IP.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
Thank you for all your hard work. Hope it pays off in the end and we have a great experience at Ga Tech on any day of the year!

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Why not just park the IP generated by the GTRI into a new fund and make GTAA a 20% holder? At $700 million a year, that's $140M.

You could sell naming rights to every building, street, park and rodent on Tech's campus and not generate that. And that is what Tech athletics needs ... is a permanent endowment based on growth in the value of underlying IP.
I'd like to hear more about thoughts related to this. It seems like the GTAA does not have the money to gain 20% control of the GTRI, nor do I know how the relationship would work once they became staked. I do like the idea of the GTAA getting some financial diversification, and I can only assume that it could be a useful partnership.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Fan fact to whoever submitted the idea to have a Fortnight night... basketball is having one on January 9th. Haha maybe they are already reading our stuff.

GT14

Jolly Good Fellow

I don't think this would work for variety of reasons but the biggest is that GTRI brings in ~$500M in revenue per year, not profit. Most of the profits are reinvested as GTRI is currently growing, but even if you wanted to rob GTRI of that money you'd be lucky to squeeze $70M out, an order of magnitude lower.

Another sticking point would be approving it. If TStan suggests that to literally anyone on campus or at GTRI he gets laughed out of the room. GTRI would have no desire to give away profit and I doubt the Hill would hamstring GTRI in that manner. Even if you think that Bud should force GTRI to give that money up there would hell to pay in the media. GTRI got crucified so hard for spending their profits on "morale" that they can't even buy coffee for employees anymore. GT would be in an even worse PR mess if they force GTRI to effectively donate to the athletic association.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Bump. Don't forget to read ideas and comment on them!
Just added my drone at bds.
Google stripped pictures and deactivated links but the idea is there.
Needs hill to make programming drones a part of curriculum and need alumni by region to fund. Best program and fund raising recognized at bds.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so who can do a prototype for my idea? #46.

Taking out the south end zone seats and making a glass wall looking into the stadium for the weight room. The top of the weight room 15-20 ft high can be “standing room only” where vendors can come in to sell food. Need a special ticket for this area, it would have a class railing system will a glass bar top around the edge facing the stadium.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
Just added my drone at bds.
Google stripped pictures and deactivated links but the idea is there.
Needs hill to make programming drones a part of curriculum and need alumni by region to fund. Best program and fund raising recognized at bds.

I love drones - I have two prosumer and one hobbyist unit and do "stuff" with them at work.

However, it is incredibly difficult to get drones to do cool shows at the moment. Last year's Super Bowl halftime show with those cool drones? Filmed earlier in the week. The drone show done at the PyeongChang Olympics opening cermony? Also pre-filmed.

The two biggest things at play are:

1. The FAA has designated certain no-fly zones, particularly if you are close to an airport. Two weeks ago a drone presumably hit a 737 just outside of Tijuana, Mexico. It won't be fun if a GT drone malfunctions, shoots two miles up into the air and flies into a GE90 engine on a 777 on final approach to Hartsfield.

2. You cannot fly a drone over public events without MAJOR permits. CNN just got theirs from the FAA but you have to abide by all kinds of crazy rules (self-disintegrating props, prop guards, etc.). Again, a gaggle of malfunctioning drones with whirling blades of death slashing into hundreds of fans isn't exactly an ideal fan experience.

Now if TS wants to hire me to run the GT drone program to work through those issues I'll be more than happy to move back to Atlanta for that. :D I'll even double-time and act as "Option Game Coordinator".

crut

Helluva Engineer
Hey all. I know I've been quiet on this lately but I do have some news to share. I've spoken with the people working with me on this and we are going to be turning this inititave into a website!

Excited for some added functionality, added user friendliness, and less cumbersome access. Feel free to continue submitting ideas and commenting. All ideas and comments will be migrated over to the website once it is complete and I will provide more details when the time comes.

Go Jackets!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hey all. I know I've been quiet on this lately but I do have some news to share. I've spoken with the people working with me on this and we are going to be turning this inititave into a website!

Excited for some added functionality, added user friendliness, and less cumbersome access. Feel free to continue submitting ideas and commenting. All ideas and comments will be migrated over to the website once it is complete and I will provide more details when the time comes.

Go Jackets!
Thanks , I tried to turn in drone idea ( w links to far approvals) but dont think it made it.
Thanks for going extra effort for gtaa - cant like it enough.