IF Pastner is fired, who would be a good hire to replace him?

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Just when I'm prepared to write you off as a slack jawed yokel, you pull a gem like this. Kudos, sir.

We all like to think we got it all figured but these AD's get paid to have a finger on the pulse of thangs. Shirley, they have a better idea who's out there than we do.
top 100 movie quotes surely you cant be serious GIF

The good news for us is that ADJB has shown an ability to spot talent at his last stop in the hoops world, that coupled with the pragmatic and focused nature we took in hiring on the FB Program show me a guy who gets the reality of our financial situation coupled with a guy who will go make moves to improve our position intentionally and in a balanced way that doesn't swing wildly about looking for anything to stick. His general approach to reasonable investment has already returned some uptick in donations. People want to support the Institute AND also want to know they aren't throwing away good money after bad.

We have a clear eyed, steady handed operator for our AD finally, and it couldn't have come at a more important point for both FB and MBB. He has taken responsible, clear steps on the FB side and I am sure he will do the same on the MBB side. I have said too many times to repeat the reasoning behind fixing the systemic issues (NIL and Coaching funds) before we can hire an upgrade and don't see anything you can point to at CJP for justification to fire for a lateral hire.

At any rate I agree with the above posts that ADs are connected to information and people way beyond the scope of even our more informed posters here. I have faith we'll get this sorted one way or another.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
So far he doesn't seem to have lined up any real help for next year where this team is deficient. Will Batt take a chance with him getting results in the portal. There is also the very real chance we lose kids to the portal either way. Attendance could be even worse next year if fans expect another dismal year. A new coach brings renewed hope.
Pastner needs to change his assistant coaches and hit a home run in the portal to save himself. Will he even get the chance? Has he lost the fan base and loyal contributors? Batt will decide who coaches next year.
To get different assistant coaches, GT needs more money for assistants. To get good players in the portal, GT needs money for NIL. Batt could increase the money for assistants, but the NIL situation is further out. They are starting initiatives now, but we are a few years behind the rest of the ACC, and most of D1 basketball.

GT will not be able to hit a home run in the portal until NIL money is available. GT will not be able to hire a good HC until an NIL system is in place. Starting a system and even having money for one or two players won't be enough. We need an actual system that a prospective coach can be confident that he will be able to succeed in. Currently, coaches that we go after will not come here because they know they will fail with the current program.

EDIT: To try to make it clear, my fear is that firing Pastner will only succeed in bringing in a bridge coach and will extend the current situation even further. If we want a bridge coach to allow us to put systems in place, why not use Pastner as the bridge coach to save money and be able to move forward even more quickly.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Not a single coach that anybody would want to be at GT would come to GT under the current situation.
I'd like to think if I were an up and coming coach that was offered a foothold in the ACC, I'd be in for all it's worth. Better to have a rich man's problems than suffering success at Hidden Valley Polytechnical, but that's just one fonts modest opining.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
So far he doesn't seem to have lined up any real help for next year where this team is deficient.

I assume you mean help inside as we have a highly rated recruit for the perimeter signed. How would he have real help lined up next year? At this point all that would be available would be recruits, and there are a very small number of big man recruits who would be able to, reliably, come in and help significantly in year 1. The transfer season hasn't begun and won't really until seasons start to end. In any case, the "help" where we are deficient, whether its Pastner or his replacement, is going to have to come from better utilizing what we have and developing the players we have. It's not like we don't have players for the spot. We'll return Howard, Meka, and Martinov and it's likely next year Moore will get a big chunk of the minutes at the 4 spot. The big question is can we better utilize the bigs we have, and can we have an offense better suited to the wing talent we have, because we are scheduled to return everybody in the back court (although I would expect at least one transfer).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I'd like to think if I were an up and coming coach that was offered a foothold in the ACC, I'd be in for all it's worth. Better to have a rich man's problems than suffering success at Hidden Valley Polytechnical, but that's just one fonts modest opining.
The problem is that with the current NIL situation, it is a known fact that the coach will fail. If you were an up and coming coach would you want to take a position that you absolutely know you will fail at, or would you wait for an opportunity that you could have success with? If you fail miserably at your first HC position, how good are your chances at getting another shot?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Yes. The "structure" of the team has "issues". Therefore, we can not win a basketball game. Got it.
Give it up man. How has recruting been? How is NIL for GTBB? How is our support staff, recruting, analysts,scouting as well as S&C?

All bottom tier ACC. There is a correlation. Easy to see as well.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I assume you mean help inside as we have a highly rated recruit for the perimeter signed. How would he have real help lined up next year? At this point all that would be available would be recruits, and there are a very small number of big man recruits who would be able to, reliably, come in and help significantly in year 1. The transfer season hasn't begun and won't really until seasons start to end. In any case, the "help" where we are deficient, whether its Pastner or his replacement, is going to have to come from better utilizing what we have and developing the players we have. It's not like we don't have players for the spot. We'll return Howard, Meka, and Martinov and it's likely next year Moore will get a big chunk of the minutes at the 4 spot. The big question is can we better utilize the bigs we have, and can we have an offense better suited to the wing talent we have, because we are scheduled to return everybody in the back court (although I would expect at least one transfer).
We need more size inside that can score and rebound with teams like Duke who start to 7 footers. Getting beat by what many would say is a mediocre Duke team by 40+ points really shows what a matchup problem we have. Franklin has been terrific at times but he gets out sized by several teams. Our PG is one of the best rebounders on the team.
Pastner obviously missed getting a big center in recruiting last year and the portal is a roll of the dice. He doesn't have a prayer of getting a 5* center. So he has to develop one and time has run out. I wish there was a golden bullet to fix the team and Pastner could turn things around but the picture is pretty bleak at the moment.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The problem is that with the current NIL situation, it is a known fact that the coach will fail. If you were an up and coming coach would you want to take a position that you absolutely know you will fail at, or would you wait for an opportunity that you could have success with? If you fail miserably at your first HC position, how good are your chances at getting another shot?

Only thing that could save a place like us is impatience or an overwhelming belief in oneself. These coaches may think they can walk into a place and turn water into wine or something.

In impatience, I mean a guy wanting to strike while the irons hot. I recall a guy like Moton at NCA&T. Waited waaaay too long and missed his opportunity to ascend because he was waiting on the perfect job I guess. Now he's basically stuck and not seen as an up and comer really anymore.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Only thing that could save a place like us is impatience or an overwhelming belief in oneself. These coaches may think they can walk into a place and turn water into wine or something.

In impatience, I mean a guy wanting to strike while the irons hot. I recall a guy like Moton at NCA&T. Waited waaaay too long and missed his opportunity to ascend because he was waiting on the perfect job I guess. Now he's basically stuck and not seen as an up and comer really anymore.
I'll put it another way. Any coach would will accept an HC position with a school in the current position that GT is in is pretty much by definition not a good HC.

I haven't watched very many games this year, but my impression is that the team isn't as bad as the record indicates. I think if there was a big man who was a threat to score or push the ball back out, the record would be mid-ACC. I think that GT proves that you can get decent players even without a strong NIL program in place. The problem is that it is extremely difficult to get decent players at all the needed positions at the same time. It is entirely possible for GT to have a strong big man next year, but be missing a shooting guard like Kelly, or a driving guard like Terry or Smith, or a strong forward like Franklin. Without a good NIL program, you can't fill those holes will from the portal, and it is very possible to lose the team strengths to the portal.

Until that is fixed, it does not matter who the coach is, GT will not be successful. And as I have said before, until that is fixed there won't be a replacement available that is better than Pastner is.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Here's a photo that puts "structural issues" into perspective:

1676409466090.png

Who are those people? Left to right:
  • Adam Weitsman - former convicted felon. Now a billionaire, scrap metal business owner. He sits courtside at 'Cuse and has flown in Tom Brady, Giannis, Jimmy Fallon, Pete Davidson, Jalen Hurts, etc. to join him at games.
  • Elijah Moore - 4* recruit. Flown in on Weitsman's private jet & dime for an NIL visit to a Syracuse basketball game. Not a recruiting visit. An NIL visit. Within today's rules.
  • Fabolous - rapper; Weitsman's celebrity guest for the game, flown in on the private jet with Moore along with one other rapper

Syracuse recruiting had fallen off in part due to Boeheim's age, sanctions, loss of assistants, etc. But the real issue, imo? They stopped paying players for a period of time like back in the day (we did it at GT too, get over it). Weitsman has committed $1M to incoming 4* and 5* recruits.

Moore committed shortly after this visit.

Who is going to solve this "structural issue" for GT?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

View attachment 14016

• Adam Weitsman - former convicted felon. Now a billionaire, scrap metal business owner. He sits courtside at 'Cuse and has flown in Tom Brady, Giannis, Jimmy Fallon, Pete Davidson, Jalen Hurts, etc. to join him at games.
  • Elijah Moore - 4* recruit. Flown in on Weitsman's private jet & dime for an NIL visit to a Syracuse basketball game. Not a recruiting visit. An NIL visit. Within today's rules.
  • Fabolous - rapper; Weitsman's celebrity guest for the game, flown in on the private jet with Moore along with one other rapper

Syracuse recruiting had fallen off in part due to Boeheim's age, sanctions, loss of assistants, etc. But the real issue, imo? They stopped paying players for a period of time like back in the day (we did it at GT too, get over it). Weitsman has committed $1M to incoming 4* and 5* recruits.

So, 3 ... no, 4 takeaways from this post...

1. Are you ever a "former" convicted felon? :unsure: I mean, once you've climbed that mountain, don't the toothpaste stay outta the tube? (huh?)

2. Dayum. Somebody find me some scrap metal?

3. GT paid players? *gasp* (The crinkling sound is me literally clutching my pearls.)

4. Who's gonna solve our 'structural' issues? See #2

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

1. Are you ever a "former" convicted felon? :unsure: I mean, once you've climbed that mountain, don't the toothpaste stay outta the tube? (huh?)

3. GT paid players? *gasp* (The crinkling sound is me literally clutching my pearls.)

If I had hit that $1B PowerBall a few weeks ago, all of our NIL problems would have been solved!

I'd have a section in McCamish known as the Connell Club... KG would have been a charter member!

slugboy

Staff member

View attachment 14016

I’d think we have an ample supply of felons within a 15 mile radius of campus. People on the board tell me so all the time. We should be set.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
If I had hit that $1B PowerBall a few weeks ago, all of our NIL problems would have been solved!

I'd have a section in McCamish known as the Connell Club... KG would have been a charter member!
GD right.
If I hit a $1Bn Powerball, I'm buying The Cheetah.

The Connell Club would be flooded with talent...

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck

Scrap metal business owner sounds like a profession for one of the Sopranos