IF Pastner is fired, who would be a good hire to replace him?

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Nah, just got probation. 1 year. Geez, that's all? I need to extort some dudes. Risk v reward, amirite?
Tried it, didn't work. I had what I thought were these compromising images of a moderator at band camp. Turned out he wasn't embarrassed at all and refused to pay anything.

Posing Andy Samberg GIF by Brooklyn Nine-Nine

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm beginning to get the idea there really aren't many great alternatives.....ugh!
I think this is one of the concerns this year and it may have been a problem last year for other programs. The options are few in number and better positioned programs may have openings.

Doesn't mean you don't make a change, but you damn well better have your ducks in a row if you're gonna do it.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think Batt might consider a top assistant or lower level coach with a background from a known top program, e.g. Duke, UNC, UVA, that knows the ACC and has recruited for the league. Just saying it might be where he looks and might be in the budget. A lot of guys mentioned in this blog seem to have a lot of baggage plus could we afford them.
If Josh survives another year (I don't actually think he will),
are there any good AAU coaches around that would be good assistant coaches?
Josh seems to have two big deficits: recruiting and offensive scheme. Could fix recruiting but not his offense.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Let's see, J Batt was the assistant AD at Alabama. He can simply look at what Alabama Basketball has done in the way of hiring a coach, assistants and providing a full support staff for a basketball program that was average at best for decades that now is a Top 10 program. He should have a pretty good idea of what it will take to replicate that at GT!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Let's see, J Batt was the assistant AD at Alabama. He can simply look at what Alabama Basketball has done in the way of hiring a coach, assistants and providing a full support staff for a basketball program that was average at best for decades that now is a Top 10 program. He should have a pretty good idea of what it will take to replicate that at GT!
Wish we had Alabama resources for the next hire. I doubt money is a problem for them.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Wish we had Alabama resources for the next hire. I doubt money is a problem for them.
Their coach, Nate Oats came from Buffalo, not a big name school. He is in his 5th year. He signed a contract extension after his 2nd year upping his salary to $3.25M. Not much more than CJP and that was an increase from his initial salary. He signed a second extension after last season kicking his salary up to the $4.5-$5M range. This tells me a good AD can find the right coach for around what CJP makes now. Now getting the quality assistants and a full up support staff will cost more money. However, we can't stay stuck where we are now or we will just lose more money. Don't be afraid to spend money, but do it wisely!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Their coach, Nate Oats came from Buffalo, not a big name school. He is in his 5th year. He signed a contract extension after his 2nd year upping his salary to $3.25M. Not much more than CJP and that was an increase from his initial salary. He signed a second extension after last season kicking his salary up to the $4.5-$5M range. This tells me a good AD can find the right coach for around what CJP makes now. Now getting the quality assistants and a full up support staff will cost more money. However, we can't stay stuck where we are now or we will just lose more money. Don't be afraid to spend money, but do it wisely!
I sure hope we can do as well.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I sure hope we can do as well.
At least our AD was at Alabama when Oats was hired. He should have direct knowledge of the process as well as contacts that can give details on what the Alabama basketball support structure is currently.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't think I'd want Bobby Hurley at Tech, but would take Danny. A couple years ago Fred Hoiberg would have been a dream come true-looks like he will be available, has he forgotten how to coach?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't think I'd want Bobby Hurley at Tech, but would take Danny. A couple years ago Fred Hoiberg would have been a dream come true-looks like he will be available, has he forgotten how to coach?

IMO Hoidberg would be fine if we were in the midwest but I don't think he'd fit here, and his resume, since his time at Iowa State, has been less than impressive. With the changing landscape any success that happened an extended time ago needs a bit of evaluation in terms of how relevant it is now.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am a little concerned that no one has any great ideas for our next coach. This was surely not the case when CGC was in his final days. Is this a reflection of the lack of interest in the program or lack of confidence that a change will be made? -

Please, more wild speculation about Jay Wright coming out of retirement or Tubby Smith's redemption tour, or former Hawk Dwight Howard coming back to the ATL to coach where it all began (a la Patrick Ewing) or Drew Barry returning to Tech....

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Chris Collins at Northwestern just beat Purdue and has his team sitting in 3rd place in the Big 10. If he can do it at Northwestern, he can do it at GT.