IF Pastner is fired, who would be a good hire to replace him?

BeeRBee

Jolly Good Fellow
This may be my inherent pessimism, but I still believe that regardless of fixing the NIL and other basketball-related structural issues, the academics at Tech are going to limit the ceiling of recruiting and definitely limit who can be brought in through the portal. It's not that I think that there's not a pool of players who can do the work, it's more the limited majors and the time required to be devoted to academics result in limited interest, or other options being more attractive. For the portal, there is the additional issue of transferring enough credits to maintain eligibility.

I think there probably are coaches who could overcome these obstacles and win more consistently than Pastner has. The question is do they want to have to do the additional work to overcome these obstacles, or just coach somewhere without them. And that assumes you have the financial resources to attract them. I seem to remember a story that Gregory was reluctant to take the Tech job because he did not think there were enough financial resources to win, and Izzo convinced him he just needed to take the plunge.

I'm doing my best to develop optimism for next year, assuming Pastner stays and no significant transfers. It's built on continued improvement from Smith, steps forward from Kelly/Moore/Coleman, Martynov and Blue Cain being playable in the ACC. That's a lot, which is why my optimism is tenuous. On the other hand that's always part of the college basketball experience.

This year has largely been a slog, but I'm really glad I was there for the Miami and Notre Dame games.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Um what? We signed a 7 footer last year.
Well at least he is tall. Not ready for prime time though. Buried on the bench. Probably good for practice. Even Howard has seen less and less time. We just don't have a real ACC caliber center and a main reason we have only won 2 ACC games. Franklin has been forced to play the position and has had some really good games. The offense has struggled and has relied on three point shots without a real inside game. Hasn't worked out too well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If I hit a $1Bn Powerball, I'm buying The Cheetah.

You would be one of the most influential power brokers in the country. Not even joking.

I use to entertain clients and colleagues from all over the country, and the most requested place to "talk shop" was The Cheetah.

When a gentleman's club has staved off urban development for decades in one of the country's fastest growing real estate markets, that should tell you something.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
When a gentleman's club has staved off urban development for decades in one of the country's fastest growing real estate markets, that should tell you something.
Women can help raise large sums of money in a short amount of time?

tom cruise GIF

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You would be one of the most influential power brokers in the country. Not even joking.

I use to entertain clients and colleagues from all over the country, and the most requested place to "talk shop" was The Cheetah.

Staved it off, made the decision to bend to NCR's will (moved their sign from roof to side of the building), fully renovated the club, and totally changed their style, despite being probably the largest piece of undeveloped land in Midtown Atlanta.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Staved it off, made the decision to bend to NCR's will (moved their sign from roof to side of the building), fully renovated the club, and totally changed their style, despite being probably the largest piece of undeveloped land in Midtown Atlanta.
I haven't been in a while.. Is the talent still top notch like it used to be?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I watched the Pastner presser last night. He gave a very compelling answer about his future based on this year's performance. He is very committed to Georgia Tech and he loves being here and the school. I really feel torn about his future. I sure want him to succeed but time is slipping away. Maybe wins against ND in OT, Louisville, and at WF would make a difference in the decision.
He obviously has settled in on his starters and running a dribble drive offense. We still don't draw fouls and he is confounded by that stat. The team seems to be playing better now but still having trouble finishing.

JacketMicMan

Georgia Tech Fan
So, 3 ... no, 4 takeaways from this post...

1. Are you ever a "former" convicted felon? :unsure: I mean, once you've climbed that mountain, don't the toothpaste stay outta the tube? (huh?)

2. Dayum. Somebody find me some scrap metal?

3. GT paid players? *gasp* (The crinkling sound is me literally clutching my pearls.)

4. Who's gonna solve our 'structural' issues? See #2
Regarding #3 isn’t that why Kenny Anderson majored in Textile Management and which came with a stipend each quarter?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I haven't been in 18 months, but it's just a different setup.

I haven't been since I left that job a decade ago and started up my business. Honestly, all those years of having to take clients and coworkers there left me with ZERO desire to ever visit those kind of places again.

If you ever buy the Cheetah, let us know. I'll make a DTM exception.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I watched the Pastner presser last night. He gave a very compelling answer about his future based on this year's performance. He is very committed to Georgia Tech and he loves being here and the school. I really feel torn about his future. I sure want him to succeed but time is slipping away. Maybe wins against ND in OT, Louisville, and at WF would make a difference in the decision.
He obviously has settled in on his starters and running a dribble drive offense. We still don't draw fouls and he is confounded by that stat. The team seems to be playing better now but still having trouble finishing.
The one guy who can blast by defenders and draw contact is petrified of the free throw line unfortunately. He has 0 FTA in half the games this season and only has multiple trips to the line in 4 games I think. As I’ve said before, I think his potential is immense and he’s going to have another huge jump this offseason.

Not to always compare every guard to Jose, but it was not unheard of for Jose to get 5+ trips to the line per game.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I haven't been since I left that job a decade ago and started up my business. Honestly, all those years of having to take clients and coworkers there left me with ZERO desire to ever visit those kind of places again.

If you ever buy the Cheetah, let us know. I'll make a DTM exception.
If GT Hoops suddenly has millions in NIL, I may have bought The Cheetah.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
This may be my inherent pessimism, but I still believe that regardless of fixing the NIL and other basketball-related structural issues, the academics at Tech are going to limit the ceiling of recruiting and definitely limit who can be brought in through the portal. It's not that I think that there's not a pool of players who can do the work, it's more the limited majors and the time required to be devoted to academics result in limited interest, or other options being more attractive. For the portal, there is the additional issue of transferring enough credits to maintain eligibility.

I think there probably are coaches who could overcome these obstacles and win more consistently than Pastner has. The question is do they want to have to do the additional work to overcome these obstacles, or just coach somewhere without them. And that assumes you have the financial resources to attract them. I seem to remember a story that Gregory was reluctant to take the Tech job because he did not think there were enough financial resources to win, and Izzo convinced him he just needed to take the plunge.

I'm doing my best to develop optimism for next year, assuming Pastner stays and no significant transfers. It's built on continued improvement from Smith, steps forward from Kelly/Moore/Coleman, Martynov and Blue Cain being playable in the ACC. That's a lot, which is why my optimism is tenuous. On the other hand that's always part of the college basketball experience.

This year has largely been a slog, but I'm really glad I was there for the Miami and Notre Dame games.
Money was always big, now with NIL it is huge and out in the open.
I hear you about academics, but that is manageable - we’ve handled challenges in the past. Basketball is imo easier for academics than football because of smaller numbers. Plus you’re more likely to get that spectacular talent who can change the game as a freshman in b’ball. Most years we are only a couple marquee players from being great.

Between business, HTS, LMC we cover the same bases as other good schools, and we get the occasional player like Lammers doing engineering or CS (which is amazing).

Having a coach and a brand that screams NBA gateway is also huge. Think about Duke and UVA, similar academics in many ways, but they handle it and have other key pieces in place. Those are the two comparables in my mind.
It’s not getting easier though, I agree.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Another coach who, while having no tourney appearances under his belt, I'd still consider is Bob Richey from Furman. He's never had a losing season, and has won 20+ games in five out of his six full seasons there. His Furman teams pulled upsets over a top 10 Villanova in 2018, and beat Louisville last year as well as South Carolina this year. He's young too. Only 39 years old.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If I pretend for a moment that I am J Batt and thinking about whether to fire Pastner, I have a few questions to for myself. First, are the possibilities clearly better than Pastner? Second, do the numbers make financial sense given where are right now? Third, irrespective of the above, is this year the right time to make a change?

I could also counter those questions with these. Do we really know how well the potential new choices will do? Isn't everyone a bit risky? If we can't afford to make a change now, what is the cost of standing pat? Will next year be appreciatively better?

I wonder if Pitino has considered leaving Iona and who might consider hiring him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Another coach who, while having no tourney appearances under his belt, I'd still consider is Bob Richey from Furman. He's never had a losing season, and has won 20+ games in five out of his six full seasons there. His Furman teams pulled upsets over a top 10 Villanova in 2018, and beat Louisville last year as well as South Carolina this year. He's young too. Only 39 years old.

He's got a profile of coaches that have done well at GT. Coaches who prove themselves at a lower level and do well. My one concern is you would like to see more national tournaments on his resume (NIT, NCAA, etc) and a few more first place finishes. He only finished 1st one time, and went to the NIT once. He's never finished lower than 3rd in the SoCon so that's promising.

Cremins, who coincidentally was also from the Southern Conference at App State, finished 1st three out of six years he was there.

Paul Hewitt finished 1st in the MAAC two out of 3 years he was at Lehigh...and went to 2 national tournaments (NCAA once, and NIT once).

slugboy

Staff member
He is only 70. Someone with that little experience needs to stay in the MAAC.

Drums Eye Roll GIF
Aardman productions are always welcome.

The best thing about being a pirate is ham night!

If I pretend for a moment that I am J Batt and thinking about whether to fire Pastner, I have a few questions to for myself. First, are the possibilities clearly better than Pastner? Second, do the numbers make financial sense given where are right now? Third, irrespective of the above, is this year the right time to make a change?

I could also counter those questions with these. Do we really know how well the potential new choices will do? Isn't everyone a bit risky? If we can't afford to make a change now, what is the cost of standing pat? Will next year be appreciatively better?

I wonder if Pitino has considered leaving Iona and who might consider hiring him.

Those are great questions, and it’s smart to put yourself in the ADs seat mentally.

Some other questions
  • Is this situation repairable?
  • If so, with what? Extra staff? Assistant coach? NIL program? Sports psychologist? Ham night?
  • What are the key issues? Recruiting? Funding? Offensive coaching? Indian burial ground under arena?
  • Is Pastner the problem?
  • Even if the situation is repairable, are we better off with someone new? (I.e. even if Pastner isn’t the problem, is he the answer? Is he a good answer?)
  • What is our relationship like with youth leagues (with the shoe companies involved, I’m not even sure what to call these now) and high schools?
  • Where can we find Daddy Warbucks?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

I don't really view upsets as a particularly great measure of success. Too much variance.

I put him in the group of coaches that I wouldn't want to actively go into a coaching search for, but wouldn't be real upset if we landed at the end of a coaching search.

slugboy

Staff member
I don't really view upsets as a particularly great measure of success. Too much variance.

I put him in the group of coaches that I wouldn't want to actively go into a coaching search for, but wouldn't be real upset if we landed at the end of a coaching search.
How many of us would have hired Cremins?