IF Pastner is fired, who would be a good hire to replace him?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Chris Collins at Northwestern just beat Purdue and has his team sitting in 3rd place in the Big 10. If he can do it at Northwestern, he can do it at GT.
Don’t see him giving up the momentum he’s built in the program for, quite frankly, a lateral move at best.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Chris Collins at Northwestern just beat Purdue and has his team sitting in 3rd place in the Big 10. If he can do it at Northwestern, he can do it at GT.
You gonna ignore his entire tenure at Northwestern?

Note - I was gonna write something more colorful in response when I read this.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I am a little concerned that no one has any great ideas for our next coach. This was surely not the case when CGC was in his final days. Is this a reflection of the lack of interest in the program or lack of confidence that a change will be made? -

Please, more wild speculation about Jay Wright coming out of retirement or Tubby Smith's redemption tour, or former Hawk Dwight Howard coming back to the ATL to coach where it all began (a la Patrick Ewing) or Drew Barry returning to Tech....
The answer to your questions is YES. There are GTBB structural issues that need to be addressed for real sustained improvement in the BB program. The question is waiting for those to occur, and they may not occur, better or making a change while trying to make the structural changes at the same time. This is why ADs get paid big bucks. I am glad I am not the decision maker nor the guy trying to raise funds to make the structural changes. Hoping J Batt is the right guy to deal with our situation.

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
The answer to your questions is YES. There are GTBB structural issues that need to be addressed for real sustained improvement in the BB program. The question is waiting for those to occur, and they may not occur, better or making a change while trying to make the structural changes at the same time. This is why ADs get paid big bucks. I am glad I am not the decision maker nor the guy trying to raise funds to make the structural changes. Hoping J Batt is the right guy to deal with our situation.
Structural issues? A basketball team has a coach that assembles, trains, and organizes the team and players that play the games. This is not rocket science.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Structural issues? A basketball team has a coach that assembles, trains, and organizes the team and players that play the games. This is not rocket science.
If you think it’s that simple, then it certainly explains a lot. Let me try and break it down for you.

To assemble talent that is required to compete at the highest levels, you need NIL $$. We are behind virtually everyone else in our conference.

To train, recruit, and teach, you need $$ to pay quality coaches, we’re near or at the bottom in salary pool for assistants, and our head coach is one the lowest paid in the conference.

You’re right, it’s not rocket science, it’s economics.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Come on man. There are serious issues with how our basketball program is structured. Even an engineer can understand that concept.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Can we squeeze 2-3 "bridge" years out of 70 year old John Beilein?! Surround him with young guys who can recruit and do the heavy lifting, and possibly one of them picks up the baton after Beilein leads us to two straight Final Fours, and said assistant coach turns GT into a basketball powerhouse.

...OK, it's late, I may be dreaming. Continue on with this depressing exercise of who would take over our beloved program...

Steverc

Jolly Good Fellow
Come on man. There are serious issues with how our basketball program is structured. Even an engineer can understand that concept.
Yes. The "structure" of the team has "issues". Therefore, we can not win a basketball game. Got it.

slugboy

Staff member
I thought that Sasquatch did a good job hiring assistants when Pastner started, and I still think he was a low-effort AD. A basketball-smart AD could probably accomplish a lot in coaching hires.

I don’t understand the “no one has proposed any good coaches” comment. We’ve had a bunch in some of the Pastner threads.
Can we squeeze 2-3 "bridge" years out of 70 year old John Beilein?! Surround him with young guys who can recruit and do the heavy lifting, and possibly one of them picks up the baton after Beilein leads us to two straight Final Fours, and said assistant coach turns GT into a basketball powerhouse.

...OK, it's late, I may be dreaming. Continue on with this depressing exercise of who would take over our beloved program...
We’ll build him an Iron Man exoskeleton so he can move around on the sideline ;)

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I am not 100% sure Pastner will be fired. I think there's a case to keep him. And, part of it is the difficulty in getting a replacement who is measurably better.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes. The "structure" of the team has "issues". Therefore, we can not win a basketball game. Got it.
The bigger question is: Can you get anyone better than Pastner? At the moment, the answer is a definitive NO. NO coach worth anything will come to GT with the current "structural problems". If this is a house rebuild after a fire, the new coach would only have Legos available as materials and tools. Not a single coach that anybody would want to be at GT would come to GT under the current situation.

The decision is whether to build those things under Pastner, or to hire a bridge coach. If GT builds those things underneath Pastner, he might be here for another year or two. The program might improve or it might not improve. After two years, the program would either have a rejuvenated Pastner or could fire him with a good program underneath and be able to hire a good replacement. If we reach out in desperation for a bridge coach, it could take 3, 4, 5 years to get rid of him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I am not 100% sure Pastner will be fired. I think there's a case to keep him. And, part of it is the difficulty in getting a replacement who is measurably better.

I think as fans, we don't see the entire landscape of available candidates. Sure it's easy to spot a non-Power 5 guy who makes a run in the NCAA or check the records of someone in the Mid American/WAC/etc. and see that he's been winning 20+ games a year and say "Oh, he'd be great at GT!"

There are assistant coaches on every level or HCs outside of the NCAA. How many of us knew about Tommy Lloyd at Gonzaga before he was a candidate at Arizona (now their 22-4 HC)? Anyone know about Bo Ryan from the backwoods of Wisconsin Prattville then Milwaukee eventually Wisconsin's HC? Did any of us know about Paul Hewitt at Sienna before we hired him? I certainly didn't and I thought I was a die hard college sports fan at the time.

The point is, ADs are more in tuned with the entire landscape of basketball than fans are. Just because we can't spot a good candidate doesn't mean an AD or search firm doesn't have a long list of possible candidates.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The bigger question is: Can you get anyone better than Pastner? At the moment, the answer is a definitive NO. NO coach worth anything will come to GT with the current "structural problems". If this is a house rebuild after a fire, the new coach would only have Legos available as materials and tools. Not a single coach that anybody would want to be at GT would come to GT under the current situation.

The decision is whether to build those things under Pastner, or to hire a bridge coach. If GT builds those things underneath Pastner, he might be here for another year or two. The program might improve or it might not improve. After two years, the program would either have a rejuvenated Pastner or could fire him with a good program underneath and be able to hire a good replacement. If we reach out in desperation for a bridge coach, it could take 3, 4, 5 years to get rid of him.
So far he doesn't seem to have lined up any real help for next year where this team is deficient. Will Batt take a chance with him getting results in the portal. There is also the very real chance we lose kids to the portal either way. Attendance could be even worse next year if fans expect another dismal year. A new coach brings renewed hope.
Pastner needs to change his assistant coaches and hit a home run in the portal to save himself. Will he even get the chance? Has he lost the fan base and loyal contributors? Batt will decide who coaches next year.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I think as fans, we don't see the entire landscape of available candidates. Sure it's easy to spot a non-Power 5 guy who makes a run in the NCAA or check the records of someone in the Mid American/WAC/etc. and see that he's been winning 20+ games a year and say "Oh, he'd be great at GT!"

There are assistant coaches on every level or HCs outside of the NCAA. How many of us knew about Tommy Lloyd at Gonzaga before he was a candidate at Arizona (now their 22-4 HC)? Anyone know about Bo Ryan from the backwoods of Wisconsin Prattville then Milwaukee eventually Wisconsin's HC? Did any of us know about Paul Hewitt at Sienna before we hired him? I certainly didn't and I thought I was a die hard college sports fan at the time.

The point is, ADs are more in tuned with the entire landscape of basketball than fans are. Just because we can't spot a good candidate doesn't mean an AD or search firm doesn't have a long list of possible candidates.

Just when I'm prepared to write you off as a slack jawed yokel, you pull a gem like this. Kudos, sir.

We all like to think we got it all figured but these AD's get paid to have a finger on the pulse of thangs. Shirley, they have a better idea who's out there than we do.