If a change is made...

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Considering the budget constraints and odd timing of the buyout drop, perhaps the best mid/long-term solution is to hire a consultant to evaluate every coach on the current staff. We find which coach (whether it be a coordinator or position coach) is the most competent at his job. Then we offer that coach a one-year contract as Geoff Collins’ replacement. It would allow us to lower the buyout while retaining continuity, that assistant would get an opportunity to prove himself as a head coach, and then if it doesn’t work out, we will be better equipped financially to offer more competitive salaries to a new coaching staff. We would probably be in for another rough year, but that’s the cost of firing Collins. If we’re not willing to do what needs to be done to get the finances to hire a better head coach and staff, then we’ll just be watching the same or worse results while the Athletic Association digs itself into further debt.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
General Custer: "If only those Indians hadn't shown up, we'd a won. No question!"
A solid comparison. Custer was one of the best of his generation at personal promotion and working the media, but one of the least effective officers in a time filled with ineffective officers.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
No, there's plenty of money if it were just directed to the right place. A little less for the Edge Center and a little more for recruiting and coaches would go a long way.
We have 11,000 donors, 5,000 of which are students. That’s a pitiful number.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
Considering the budget constraints and odd timing of the buyout drop, perhaps the best mid/long-term solution is to hire a consultant to evaluate every coach on the current staff. We find which coach (whether it be a coordinator or position coach) is the most competent at his job. Then we offer that coach a one-year contract as Geoff Collins’ replacement. It would allow us to lower the buyout while retaining continuity, that assistant would get an opportunity to prove himself as a head coach, and then if it doesn’t work out, we will be better equipped financially to offer more competitive salaries to a new coaching staff. We would probably be in for another rough year, but that’s the cost of firing Collins. If we’re not willing to do what needs to be done to get the finances to hire a better head coach and staff, then we’ll just be watching the same or worse results while the Athletic Association digs itself into further debt.
I'd like to be considered for this promotion....

Drunk Stan Marsh GIF by South Park

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck

There is a reason college coaches never get a 1 year deal. What player is going to commit to a coach/program if the coach isn't guaranteed to be there?

Sheboygan

Helluva Engineer
@Sheboygan I agree on the measurables. My only defense of this regime is that I think way too many people undersold just how hard this transition was going to be. As I said earlier, had we went for more 3O with a CPJ disciple, we'd likely be winning 4-6 games a year on average. No one of his disciples is anywhere near as good as CPJ. Had we went with a Fritz type solution, we'd still have the OL to deal with, which would have exacerbated the situation as well. Also, had we gone with any kind of "option" coach and not won 6 games the anti-option fans would have melted immediately. I don't disagree with a lot of the direction CGC has taken this offense. I understand moving away from even the "appearance" of option. Where CGC failed most, IMO, was in putting brand before results. Yes, build a culture of family and fun, but before we start branding everything, fix the basics first.
Absolutely !!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Another name to add to the list of candidates: James Madison's Curt Cignetti.

Pure winner wherever he goes. Just beat App State, and beat the breaks off of MTSU who is beating Miami pretty badly in the 4th qtr right now.

Was a WR coach/Recruiting coordinator for 'Bama from 2007-2011 so has experience recruiting the South.

Great coaching record at IUPUI his first HC job, had a short stay at Elon, then his James Madison resume is incredible. First year went to the FCS Championship Game, Semifinals the next two seasons. JMU moved up to Sun Belt this year and JMU is currently 3-0. His record at JMU is 35-5, and 18-2 in conference with three first place finishes.

Definitely worth a look.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
That’s the post. I thinks there’s other options as well but this is where I would start besides calling Urban and letting him say no

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
I want a proven winner like CPJ who has done this for 30+ years. It's clear that we aren't going to be NIL crazy unless Deion magically shows up so I want a proof of concept. Geoff really had none as a head coach before he showed up.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
I'll go with a hard pass. To say it cleanly, Urban's behavior is not what I would like to see from a leader. There are many others that I would prefer. Herman had always been a Texas guy, but I'm not sure an outside voice isn't what would be good in our present circumstance.

JStewart2227

Jolly Good Fellow
Kendal Briles, Jamey Chadwell, Curt Cignetti, are a few others maybe. I’m 50/50 on Deion. All about his recruiting not sold on if he’s ready to coach on the P5 level. I know a lot saw Clawson, I don’t think he’ll leave WF to come to GT.