If a change is made...

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Oof. How many times has a pro team given a HC basically the GM position and it backfired? Hawks did that with Coach Bud and it basically ruined us until he was let go and Trae came. I feel like this would be similar.
I’ve never seen an AD objectively critique himself as the head coach. “I’m not measuring up as a coach, so I’m firing me. However, I’m an awesome AD. …oh, yes… I should have fired me, the coach a year ago!”

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
O'Brien's first coaching position was at Brown, where he coached tight ends in 1993 and inside linebackers in 1994. He then spent the next three seasons (1995–1997) as an offensive graduate assistant at Georgia Tech.[6]

He then coached the Yellow Jackets' running backs from the 1998 season through 2000 season. In 1999, running back Sean Gregory ran for 837 yards with six touchdowns. In 2000, running back Joe Burns ran for 908 yards with 12 touchdowns.[7]

From 2001 to 2002, O'Brien served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach and was named an assistant head coach for the 2002 season. In 2002, O'Brien was hired as Notre Dame's offensive Coordinator before George O'Leary was dismissed. As offensive coordinator at Georgia Tech in 2001 and 2002, his teams averaged 31 and 21.5 points per game, respectively as the teams went 9–4 and 7–6.[8][9] In 2001, running back Joe Burns ran for 1,165 yards with 14 touchdowns and quarterback George Godsey threw for 3,085 yards with 18 touchdowns. In 2002 under Chan Gailey, running back Tony Hollings ran for 633 yards with 11 touchdowns and wide receiver Kerry Watkins got 1,050 yards and 5 touchdowns.
I remember tony hollins was a beast untill his injury

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
BOB won’t happen, boosters don’t want another tech guy, he’s not using Alabamas offensive talent like he should, wants to jump back to the nfl most likely and will interview for bigger jobs.
Dude what are you talking about? I swear people just make stuff up to try and appear like they know what they’re talking about.

Last year Alabama was #2 in OFEI, #6 in scoring offense, and #8 in total offense. Their QB was also the Heisman winner.
So far this year they’re #5 in scoring offense and #7 in total offense and #4 in OFEI.

Literally how else is he supposed to be using their offense? They’re in the top 5% in everything. If Bill O’Brien is on the table it would be a tough look to pass on him and go after somebody who’s even less proven than he is.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Dude what are you talking about? I swear people just make stuff up to try and appear like they know what they’re talking about.

Last year Alabama was #2 in OFEI, #6 in scoring offense, and #8 in total offense. Their QB was also the Heisman winner.
So far this year they’re #5 in scoring offense and #7 in total offense and #4 in OFEI.

Literally how else is he supposed to be using their offense? They’re in the top 5% in everything. If Bill O’Brien is on the table it would be a tough look to pass on him and go after somebody who’s even less proven than he is.
Hmm, I’m making stuff up? Everything I’ve said this week has come to fruition. Just go read some of the bama fans thoughts on BOB. Coming into this week their leading receiver was Gibbs, which yes Gibbs is ultra talented but still that should always be a receiver, Gibbs had only 22 rushing attempts going into this week, Gibbs should be getting around 15 rushes per game with 3-5 pass receptions per game, so about 15-20 touches per game. Bama fans aren’t fans of BOB and they watch him every single week.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Seriously the Texans were a mess with him.
He won his division 4 times in his 7 seasons there. The Texans were a mess in spite of him being there, not because he was there. And when they made him the GM along with the HC it was a terrible decision. It’s hard enough to do one of those jobs, much less both at the same time. The Texans are very poorly run organization. I think O’Brien got a bad rap because of the way things ended there for him, but his overall tenure was successful.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow

For the 2nd straight year Bama OL is ineffective. Vandy Was very bad. The RBs had to break tackles in the backfield repeatedly.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
He won his division 4 times in his 7 seasons there. The Texans were a mess in spite of him being there, not because he was there. And when they made him the GM along with the HC it was a terrible decision. It’s hard enough to do one of those jobs, much less both at the same time. The Texans are very poorly run organization. I think O’Brien got a bad rap because of the way things ended there for him, but his overall tenure was successful.

In the Deshaun Watson investigation, it was unearthed that BoB was trying to get fired from the Texans, so he could take over NE. However, the Pats ended up losing Brady instead of Belichick and then BoB was just out of a job lol.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Hmm, I’m making stuff up? Everything I’ve said this week has come to fruition. Just go read some of the bama fans thoughts on BOB. Coming into this week their leading receiver was Gibbs, which yes Gibbs is ultra talented but still that should always be a receiver, Gibbs had only 22 rushing attempts going into this week, Gibbs should be getting around 15 rushes per game with 3-5 pass receptions per game, so about 15-20 touches per game. Bama fans aren’t fans of BOB and they watch him every single week.
Yes you’re making stuff up lol. Who cares what the fans think? The numbers speak for themselves. UGA has just as much, if not more talent on the offensive side of the ball as Bama, and they aren’t putting up better numbers than Bama is.

A lot of people here thought that Gibbs would’ve been better as a slot receiver anyway. Gibbs’ biggest weakness is his pass blocking, and Alabama asks their backs to pass block a ton. If that’s his biggest weakness why would they let him stay back there?

For reference, O’Briens offenses are putting up much better numbers at Alabama than Lane Kiffin’s did. Bama’s defense isn’t nearly as elite as it used to be. If Bama fans are upset about not looking as good as they did in their dominant run from 2011-2020, it starts on the defensive side of the ball. UGA now has the defense that Bama did in those years.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
For the 2nd straight year Bama OL is ineffective. Vandy Was very bad. The RBs had to break tackles in the backfield repeatedly.
For the 2nd straight year Bama’s offense is in the top 5 in the country. Hmmm, seems like a good OC with a good scheme can maneuver around a less than ideal OL. Not to mention we’ve spent the last 4 years blaming our poor OL play on the OL coach and the Head Coach, seems weird to call out their OC for it.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
For the 2nd straight year Bama’s offense is in the top 5 in the country. Hmmm, seems like a good OC with a good scheme can maneuver around a less than ideal OL. Not to mention we’ve spent the last 4 years blaming our poor OL play on the OL coach and the Head Coach, seems weird to call out their OC for it.
The stats don’t tell the story. The. OC has autonomy at Bama.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If Bill O'Brien isn't on the list of candidates, the person(s) putting the list together needs to be replaced as well. Doesn't mean GT should hire him, but he's one of a few guys that could walk into GT and make us a winning program within 2-3 years. That dude can coach, and he's probably cut with the same cloth as O'Leary in that he's a hard nosed coach and will coach toughness into this team. He isn't going to coddle players, and demands excellence. One of the few coaches I've seen stand up to Tom Brady and win. Oh, and QBs and skill players will line up to play for him. He won at Penn State with heavy scholarship restrictions (and talked a 5 star QB into signing there under those conditions) because of the Paterno scandal...he can win anywhere.

O'Brien is going to have A LOT of big schools after him once the season is complete, and if Twitter rumors are any indication, GT may not even have a shot.

Jetdrive3

Jolly Good Fellow
Regardless of what is going on at Bama. The HC job here is a major step backward for O’Brien. It would kill the remainder of his career. When he leaves Bama, it will be the big bucks job he may retire from. At Tech we have to catch guys who are ascending from Power fivers. Who is guaranteeing 6 to 9 million here?

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t see the obsession with BOB. Please explain to me what the obsession with Bob is.
There is no “obsession” with BOB, he’s just a solid candidate. My top 2 are Deion and Chadwell. I don’t think Deion is coming, and Chadwell may not either. O’Brien is probably among the top of the second tier. He’s well respected among coaching circles, has a good track record, and is a pretty big name to tie to your program. He completely rejuvenated Penn State’s program when they further down towards rock bottom than we are now. Plus he’s familiar with Georgia Tech.

Of the “re-treads” like Mullen, Charlie Strong, Muschamp, Jeremy Pruitt, etc. O’Brien would 100% be the best.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I just don’t see the obsession with BOB. Please explain to me what the obsession with Bob is.
If you were going to develop a slate of candidates, who you would put on it?

Well, Tech went all in on the NFL-Lite strategy, so you would want folks with NFL experience. You probably can't afford a head coach, so a coordinator makes sense. Or, you could go for someone who is older, perhaps hasn't been as successful as they could have been, but still has coaching chops. And any connection to a quality, academic-oriented school would fit the bill.

That ... is BOB.

The challenge is ... can you afford him? He's 52 and may relish 7-8 years on the Flats, returning Tech to competitive ability, and sailing off into the sunset.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

It's been explained in several threads and this thread. If you don't see his credentials and what he's done, it's because you don't want acknowledge O'Brien is a good coach. Will he win at the level Nick Saban or Lincoln Riley? No, especially not at GT. At worst he's Chan Gailey, and his ceiling at GT is probably closer to what George O'Leary did with Freidgen on his staff.

O'Brien would be a MUCH MUCH better hire than the Dell McGee CEO type coaching scenario you've thrown out there.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Of the “re-treads” like Mullen, Charlie Strong, Muschamp, Jeremy Pruitt, etc. O’Brien would 100% be the best.

Mullen? No. He's got a personality disorder ... as in total jerk. He would alienate his own mother over dinner. Strong? Had his chance and his brand is tarnished. Muschamp? Good grief. Two-time failure as HC. Pruitt? He's not even coaching anymore, he's playing poker full-time.

O'Brien would bring credibility. I still think it's Key or Long. I just don't think you can sell the Tech job today like you could have 6-7 years ago. Unless it's a very special case.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My list of candidates would still include BOB but I wouldn’t have him as high as some others do.
1: Chadwell
2: Deion
3: Dell McGee
4: Jeff Lebby
5: BOB
6: Mullen
7: Kendal Briles
Guys that are not realistic: Lance Lepoid, Gus, Dave Clawson.
No point in commenting. The fact that the GTAA is taking action suggests there is already a slate for both AD and HC. Let's just see it play out.