If a change is made...

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I realize this is a long shot, quite possibly, even a dream. Let's say Georgia Tech goes to Central Florida and absolutely destroys UCF. Do we still fire Geoff Collins?
I still think we will see his full body of work this year. I don’t think 6 wins saves him and I don’t think we’ll get there either.

slugboy

Staff member
Our lists are short and are missing most of the names that will really be in play.

I don’t have the names, but Clawson just coached in the ACC championship last year—is he coming here to rebuild for a chance to do what he’s already doing? (Rinse and repeat with a lot of the other names).

Long belongs on the list, and Tillman does too. Harsin should be on the list, and a ton of assistants we haven’t heard of, too.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
IMO if CGC gets to 6 wins, he will not be fired.
I don't think he will get there, but if he does I just don't see GT pulling the plug.

I don't think you are going to get a big name coach to come here - they know the strengths and weaknesses of GT and are unlikely to stake their careers on a job that is not considered an 'easy' job.
Clawson certainly isn't leaving a now established program at Wake for GT.

I hope none of the assts on the current staff are considered for the HC job. None of them look like HC material to me. Frankly, given how poorly this program has played I really don't want any of the current assts on the next staff.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I still think we will see his full body of work this year. I don’t think 6 wins saves him and I don’t think we’ll get there either.
If we are forced to endure Collins’ “full body of work” through the end of this season, it will be like voluntarily throwing ourselves on a live grenade. In doing so, we will have sacrificed ourselves for the benefit of others. That body of work should deter any other major college football program from ever getting suckered into the notion that the guy can handle a head coaching position. I guess we could pat ourselves on our backs for that feat of public service.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
If we are forced to endure Collins’ “full body of work” through the end of this season, it will be like voluntarily throwing ourselves on a live grenade. In doing so, we will have sacrificed ourselves for the benefit of others. That body of work should deter any other major college football program from ever getting suckered into the notion that the guy can handle a head coaching position. I guess we could pat ourselves on our backs for that feat of public service.
Man, I hear you, I understand and I empathize!
But here’s the reality the way I see it. My unsolicited opinion based on probably as much information as you have, but with as little emotion as possible.
There are two parties to this agreement....

GT made a financial decision (not a football decision) to stay the course and save $3.3M. If we had turned out gangbusters, no one would’ve been unhappy, but $3.3M is the driving factor. Until circumstances surrounding that financial decision change, that decision is unlikely to change.
The most profound influence on that $3.3M is party #2, CGC. If I am CGC, I have no incentive right now to even discuss my termination, much less any “give” on the buyout. If GT wants me gone, they can pay up and make it so, but if they come to me looking for money I say:
- we’re 1-2. Right where most everyone expected, even if last week was not a good showing.
- Our two losses are top 15, potentially top 10 teams.
- I’m looking at a schedule that still has UCF, Duke, UVA and VT on it... all winnable games. That’s 5 wins potentially. I believe in myself and I believe in my guys and I’m not throwing in the towel now.
- if we catch a break and see the improvement I expect, we could be in a position to win another game or two... potentially 7 wins
- not only am I considering $3.3M, I’m also considering my future. I can sell 5 or 6 wins to somebody. It didn’t happen as fast as GT would’ve liked, but the rebuild was happening.

GT can look at that and call the man crazy, but they can’t prove it wrong UNTIL IT IS WRONG. If they feel strongly enough that it’s wrong, they can pay up

I think if we are sitting at 2 or 3 wins in mid November, GT has all sorts of ability to start having real talks about the buyout and the timing of events. Once it is truly a forgone conclusion, both parties will come to the table. The question is WHEN it becomes a forgone conclusion. If we can’t get UCF and then drop either of Duke or UVA at home, both parties have to admit what it is and come to the table. If we sneak a couple of wins, Collins has less incentive. If I’m Collins, I’m looking for as many chances as possible to catch lightning in a bottle and have something to point to for my future.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
He needs to fire thacker or atleast "officially relieved of play calling duties"
From an outside perspective, I agree. But again, as objectively as possible, he knows his job is on the line and if the solution were that simple, I have to believe he’d be on it already

Edit to add, maybe he is thinking about his future and he doesn’t want to own this defense!

JacketFan137

Banned
chadwell and deion are the only two names that seem interesting to me right now. i would honestly prefer being an up and comers first shot vs being a landing place for some old man that fell from grace and we’re the rehab assignment.

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
But here’s the reality the way I see it. My unsolicited opinion based on probably as much information as you have, but with as little emotion as possible.

GT made a financial decision (not a football decision) to stay the course and save $3.3M. If we had turned out gangbusters, no one would’ve been unhappy, but $3.3M is the driving factor. Until circumstances surrounding that financial decision change, that decision is unlikely to change.
The most profound influence on that $3.3M is party #2, CGC. If I am CGC, I have no incentive right now to even discuss my termination, much less any “give” on the buyout. If GT wants me gone, they can pay up and make it so, but if they come to me looking for money I say:
- we’re 1-2. Right where most everyone expected, even if last week was not a good showing.
- I’m looking at a schedule that still has UCF, Duke, UVA and VT on it... all winnable games. That’s 5 wins potentially. I believe in myself and I believe in my guys and I’m not throwing in the towel now.
- if we catch a break and see the improvement I expect, we could be in a position to win another game or two... potentially 7 wins
Someone is drinking their whiskey freely. It took three years to get to nine wins. There is no reason to expect a renaissance now. Of P5 schools, SI expects only Colorado and NW to have fewer wins this season.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Someone is drinking their whiskey freely. It took three years to get to nine wins. There is no reason to expect a renaissance now. Of P5 schools, SI expects only Colorado and NW to have fewer wins this season.
CGC or Stansbury?
I am no stranger to the whisky, but I think you missed context

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

- not only am I considering $3.3M, I’m also considering my future. I can sell 5 or 6 wins to somebody. It didn’t happen as fast as GT would’ve liked, but the rebuild was happening.

GT can look at that and call the man crazy, but they can’t prove it wrong UNTIL IT IS WRONG. If they feel strongly enough that it’s wrong, they can pay up

I think if we are sitting at 2 or 3 wins in mid November, GT has all sorts of ability to start having real talks about the buyout and the timing of events. Once it is truly a forgone conclusion, both parties will come to the table. The question is WHEN it becomes a forgone conclusion. If we can’t get UCF and then drop either of Duke or UVA at home, both parties have to admit what it is and come to the table. If we sneak a couple of wins, Collins has less incentive. If I’m Collins, I’m looking for as many chances as possible to catch lightning in a bottle and have something to point to for my future.
Pretty reasonable except that the moon will fall out of the sky before this team runs the table on all five of those teams, winnable or not. Secondly, I don't know about Coach Collins but so far as "throwing in the towel" well, that towel has already been tossed in the ring by the players and possibly some of the assistants.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
i think that’s kinda what we’re looking at no matter what unless we hire a coach people don’t want to hire away like a paul johnson.

for the foreseeable future tech will face that since we aren’t bama, usc, texas, notre dame, michigan, or an nfl team.

having some fun for four years would be better than what’s going on now
Paul had job offers. So mods should remove fake news

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Pretty reasonable except that the moon will fall out of the sky before this team runs the table on all five of those teams, winnable or not. Secondly, I don't know about Coach Collins but so far as "throwing in the towel" well, that towel has already been tossed in the ring by the players and possibly some of the assistants.
I don’t personally disagree with anything you said.... but again, in the context of unwinding a signed contract, which was my premise, we can’t tell Collins he won’t win 7 until he CAN’T win 7... or 6... or 5...

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I don’t personally disagree with anything you said.... but again, in the context of unwinding a signed contract, which was my premise, we can’t tell Collins he won’t win 7 until he CAN’T win 7... or 6... or 5...
Most, though by no means all, of this program's problems at present can be attributed to that contract. Geoff took us to the cleaners it would appear.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
IMO if CGC gets to 6 wins, he will not be fired.
I don't think he will get there, but if he does I just don't see GT pulling the plug.

I don't think you are going to get a big name coach to come here - they know the strengths and weaknesses of GT and are unlikely to stake their careers on a job that is not considered an 'easy' job.
Clawson certainly isn't leaving a now established program at Wake for GT.

I hope none of the assts on the current staff are considered for the HC job. None of them look like HC material to me. Frankly, given how poorly this program has played I really don't want any of the current assts on the next staff.
In the preseason win poll, I was trying to be magnanimous by picking 4 wins. It was probably off by one but we will see.