If a change is made...

bos

Helluva Engineer
I realize this is a long shot, quite possibly, even a dream. Let's say Georgia Tech goes to Central Florida and absolutely destroys UCF. Do we still fire Geoff Collins?

This team is so bad that there is almost zero shot of that happening. If it does, then it just buys him one more week.

JacketFan137

Banned
I realize this is a long shot, quite possibly, even a dream. Let's say Georgia Tech goes to Central Florida and absolutely destroys UCF. Do we still fire Geoff Collins?
if there’s a significant change and we finish strong with a competitive loss to georgia then he would probably stay. that would take a pretty unheard of streak. we’d probably have to win the coastal for that to be on the table

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
if there’s a significant change and we finish strong with a competitive loss to georgia then he would probably stay. thalreadybeenhasat would take a pretty unheard of streak. we’d probably have to win the coastal for that to be on the tabledonecan't
Sometimes what has already been done, can't be undone. There's a decent chance that our only wins going forward is due to teams taking us too lightly.

Billygoat91

Jolly Good Fellow
This team is so bad that there is almost zero shot of that happening. If it does, then it just buys him one more week.
I think the more pertinent question is if he is fired after UCF. If the buyout is Jan 1 instead of the end of the season, that only increases the chances that we move on from CGC during the season. UCF is a chance to even up our record before our ACC slate begins. The way we lost last weekend has got the gears in motion to move on from CGC but I just don't think anything is going to happen fast.

If it isn't this weekend, we probably won't see anything until after the Virginia game. Hypothetically, Duke and UVA are our two most winnable games (if we have such a thing) left on our early football schedule. VT is so late in the year it likely doesn't factor in. We have an outside chance of being 3-4 after the UVA game, more likely we will be 1-6. If we are 1-6 after UVA I think he will be fired then.

On another note. I know that the TStan being hitched to CGC debate is still raging. I am rather neutral on TStan and don't really care if he stays or leaves. Could any of us imagine TStan and Deion in a press conference together though? They just don't seem like they would meld together. The sunglasses on display in that press conference would be something else though.

1663946673723.png
1663946734127.png

JacketFan137

Banned
I think the more pertinent question is if he is fired after UCF. If the buyout is Jan 1 instead of the end of the season, that only increases the chances that we move on from CGC during the season. UCF is a chance to even up our record before our ACC slate begins. The way we lost last weekend has got the gears in motion to move on from CGC but I just don't think anything is going to happen fast.

If it isn't this weekend, we probably won't see anything until after the Virginia game. Hypothetically, Duke and UVA are our two most winnable games (if we have such a thing) left on our early football schedule. VT is so late in the year it likely doesn't factor in. We have an outside chance of being 3-4 after the UVA game, more likely we will be 1-6. If we are 1-6 after UVA I think he will be fired then.

On another note. I know that the TStan being hitched to CGC debate is still raging. I am rather neutral on TStan and don't really care if he stays or leaves. Could any of us imagine TStan and Deion in a press conference together though? They just don't seem like they would meld together. The sunglasses on display in that press conference would be something else though.

View attachment 13140View attachment 13141
i don’t see any move happening until the monday of the bye week

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I can't see Tech destroying UCF, but I hope they've read enough bad stuff about the losses that they get fired up and win one.
It's a weird time to be a Tech fan. We've lost all faith or even hope in the coach, but we still want to win.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I can't see Tech destroying UCF, but I hope they've read enough bad stuff about the losses that they get fired up and win one.
It's a weird time to be a Tech fan. We've lost all faith or even hope in the coach, but we still want to win.

Most of us understand the situation. The coach is terrible...BUT the players are still wearing "GEORGIA TECH" on their jerseys. We want to succeed because we want to see our players succeed.

Weird time indeed...and very demoralizing all around right now.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Well, the best solution to this problem for GT would be for the Collins system to start working and for the team to end the season on a 9 game winning streak, then win the ACC Championship game. I have no belief that such a thing will happen, but I would be very happy if it does. It would save GT money and would keep from having to start another "rebuild".

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, the best solution to this problem for GT would be for the Collins system to start working and for the team to end the season on a 9 game winning streak, then win the ACC Championship game. I have no belief that such a thing will happen, but I would be very happy if it does. It would save GT money and would keep from having to start another "rebuild".
Absolutely agree.
The odds of this are so small I don't really entertain it, but would be very happy if it did.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Why is winning important? Why does it matter that GT find the right person for coach our flagship programs (football and basketball)?

At a school like GT, we are going to get some of the best minds in the country and in the world wanting to attend Ma Tech regardless what our sports programs do, but one thing that a winning program can do at GT is get more students interested in our sports programs who then one day become alumni that fill up our stadium, donate to our athletic fund, become mega donors, etc. I think that's a component our admissions office overlooks...and it's probably because it's not a data point they look at when deciding on applicants.

IMO, maybe our athletic department needs to start lobbying for future students who are deeply into sports. Not at the expense of someone who's better qualified for GT, but if two applicants have the same qualifications, GT should give some weight to the student who's into sports and wants to support our sports programs.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I don’t personally disagree with anything you said.... but again, in the context of unwinding a signed contract, which was my premise, we can’t tell Collins he won’t win 7 until he CAN’T win 7... or 6... or 5...
For you business/corporate types, if Collins has any aspirations of ever getting a HC position again, would it be better for his resume to have three 3 win seasons and a partial season asterisk or three 3-win seasons and fourth season with only 1, 2 or 3 wins? I contend he could benefit from the former by spinning being fired in mid season as being right on the cusp of turning it all around in the second half.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Ok, hypothetical. If Collins were to win every game remaining, make the CFB playoffs, win the Natty, set a new Tech record for season ticket sales, have Geoff be the most popular name for babies ... do you think Tech would keep him? 🤔

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
For you business/corporate types, if Collins has any aspirations of ever getting a HC position again, would it be better for his resume to have three 3 win seasons and a partial season asterisk or three 3-win seasons and fourth season with only 1, 2 or 3 wins? I contend he could benefit from the former by spinning being fired in mid season as being right on the cusp of turning it all around in the second half.
Not a business/corporate type but probably the partial season asterisk - provided his successor started winning. Then he could say his people were finally in place and he was just on the cusp of turning it around when the new guy stepped in a reaped the benefits. :rolleyes:

Then I could see him schmoozing his way back into a lower G-5 HC job somewhere down the road. I pity their fans.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Ok, hypothetical. If Collins were to win every game remaining, make the CFB playoffs, win the Natty, set a new Tech record for season ticket sales, have Geoff be the most popular name for babies ... do you think Tech would keep him? 🤔
I’ll take Gene Chizik for $1000 Alex.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Tech would give him a seven-year perpetual rollover contract.