If a change is made...

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Here's my particular order. Each +/- means better/worse than CGC. And am NOT any type of expert on this stuff...just dreaming. :)

Jamey Caldwell+++Winner. Agile offensive scheme that puts mid-tier players in position to win. Can he recruit?
Deion Sanders+++Winner. Doesn't coddle, but still 'cool'. Generate some buzz to overcome negative messaging. Can he coach?
Clay Helton++Can coach. We've done well with Ga Southern upgrades.
Bill Clark++Can't ask for better turn-around story. Available today. Won't generate buzz. Is he ready to return? Health?
Dave Clawson++If you can win at WF...but why on earth would he leave there?
Shawn Elliot++Has done more with less at State. Doesn't look like the one who will take us to the promised land of 7 - 10 w/year.
Derrick Mason+Probable upgrade. Couldn't win at Vandy.
Will Muschamp+Upgrade. But too many unsuccessful tenures. UGA grad.
Ed OgeronSeems like an even exchange with CGC on paper
Butch Jones-Nope
I would get on board with Clawson or Helton

bikeseat

GT Athlete
As a former player, any thoughts on Deion as a coach, getting a staff together, etc.

I haven't watched a ton of JSU games (only FAMU) and yes my biggest concern is that JSU totally outclasses their opponents on the field. They just out athlete them. However, same is true at UGA/OSU/Bama right? The best teams have a huge margin for error due to recruiting.

without getting political, Deion's approach has a little Jordan Peterson in him. Basically lots of "positive masculinity" in the message e.g. take care of business, work hard, do the right thing, go to class, support your family. That sort of messaging I think works very well in many different communities (black/white/rural/urban).

I think he will have no trouble putting together a staff. He has so much clout and media attention it will be simple

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
When thinking about who our next coach will be, its nice to see where other teams are looking. Nebraska looking at Leipold and Bill O'Brien who've been mentioned in this thread.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
I haven't watched a ton of JSU games (only FAMU) and yes my biggest concern is that JSU totally outclasses their opponents on the field. They just out athlete them. However, same is true at UGA/OSU/Bama right? The best teams have a huge margin for error due to recruiting.

without getting political, Deion's approach has a little Jordan Peterson in him. Basically lots of "positive masculinity" in the message e.g. take care of business, work hard, do the right thing, go to class, support your family. That sort of messaging I think works very well in many different communities (black/white/rural/urban).

I think he will have no trouble putting together a staff. He has so much clout and media attention it will be simple

Thanks!

And being a former athlete, would this job appeal to Deion from your perspective? My thought is yes based on his ATL past (Falcons/Braves), the fact that we could compete for a playoff spot in a not-so-great ACC, his ability to market, recruit and get NIL deals, the desire of local/regional/national player to play for him, his familiarity with ATL, the region (from FSU, but prior to them getting in to the ACC), etc.

Would this be a better job for HIM than, say, Auburn or an SEC job where he's competing against multiple top dogs and would be tougher to get 10 wins and the playoffs? I mean, with the playoffs at 12 teams, IF we can get to 11 wins, we could have a shot at the playoffs in a so-so ACC with the right coach who can market, recruit and COACH.

JacketFan137

Banned
When thinking about who our next coach will be, its nice to see where other teams are looking. Nebraska looking at Leipold and Bill O'Brien who've been mentioned in this thread.

leipold has said they didn’t come to kansas to move but i have a feeling that just means “pay me and we’ll talk”

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Very well put into words the persona Sanders emanates that would benefit us as our next HC. I don't know if I'm all in on Sanders, if only because he's unproven as an HC at this level. But there's a lot to like.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
I personally think CDS makes more sense at a place like GT where stakes are honestly lower than a big time SEC program. Look at Auburn, they're ready to run off Harbin because he's "weird" and does things differently than most normal SEC coaches. CDS has to go somewhere that's a blank slate without an attitude of "this is how we have always done it"

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I personally think CDS makes more sense at a place like GT where stakes are honestly lower than a big time SEC program. Look at Auburn, they're ready to run off Harbin because he's "weird" and does things differently than most normal SEC coaches. CDS has to go somewhere that's a blank slate without an attitude of "this is how we have always done it"
Auburn wants to run Harsin off because Jimmy Raine said so. Has nothing to do with his ability. It's political.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

I also think if Neon looked at what had had to work with and it was an emmitt smith style run it down their throats power offfense? Thats exactly what he would run. If collin's gameplay was "effort baseD" all Neon's stuff is "winning based".

GoJackets1

Georgia Tech Fan
I am not at all against Deion Sanders, as our next head football coach. However, I have been considering bringing Matt Rhule in as head coach, while keeping Geoff Collins as a defensive assistant/recruiting coordinator. If he truly loves Georgia Tech so much as he always states, why would he turn it down, while knowing he is at risk of getting fired? Besides the bank he will make if he is fired, of course...
No? Yes? Maybe?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I am not at all against Deion Sanders, as our next head football coach. However, I have been considering bringing Matt Rhule in as head coach, while keeping Geoff Collins as a defensive assistant/recruiting coordinator. If he truly loves Georgia Tech so much as he always states, why would he turn it down, while knowing he is at risk of getting fired? Besides the bank he will make if he is fired, of course...
No? Yes? Maybe?
No.

You can't have a former top guy on a current staff. It would be incredibly awkward for the person who used to be in charge. Some players who feel slighted will go to the former coach and think he might be able to intervene for them. That situation would inevitably cause division. It is a bad idea in sports. It is a bad idea in business, except for a few specific situations.

year_of_the_swarm

Jolly Good Fellow
You've got to be able to get a guy like this on the cheap.... System coach. Could install the Air Raid relatively easily. That type of system, much like the option, has proven to be relatively easy to install with immediate results. If they hire a guy who needs premier talent to win, it's going to be a significant rebuild. If they hire a system coach, either option or Air Raid, you will see immediate turn-around. They could go from a total joke to a 7-8 win team in year one. They'd break all the school passing records, start attracting better talent, etc. His offense led the nation in total offense in 2016, and is always a top 20 offense nationally. It just works, every time.

Current Job: Offensive Coordinator at Washington State
Previous Job: Head Coach at Incarnate Word
Previous Job Before That: Offensive Coordinator at Texas Tech
Offensive System: Air Raid
Coaching Tree: Mike Leach

Morris twice was named the Southland Conference Coach of the year (2018, 2021), led the Cardinals to two Southland Conference titles (2018, 2021), twice reached the FCS playoffs, and left UIW as the program record holder for most wins with 24. During his time in San Antonio, Morris orchestrated an offense that finished in the top 10 nationally for total offense in three of his four seasons, including leading the nation in 2020-21 at 552.3 yards per game. His teams finished in the top five in scoring each of the last two seasons, third in 2020-21 (42.0 ppg) and fifth in 2021 at 39.5 ppg.

Prior to Incarnate Word, Morris spent five seasons (2013-17) as the offensive coordinator at his alma mater, Texas Tech. During that time, Morris helped the Red Raiders to three bowl games and guided one of the top offenses in the nation. From 2013-17, Texas Tech's offense scored over 30 points per game all five seasons, and all five years was ranked among the top 16 teams in total offense, including leading the nation in 2016 at 564.4 yards per game. The Tech offense was highlighted by quarterback Patrick Mahomes, who Morris recruited and coached in Lubbock.

GoJackets1

Georgia Tech Fan
I realize this is a long shot, quite possibly, even a dream. Let's say Georgia Tech goes to Central Florida and absolutely destroys UCF. Do we still fire Geoff Collins?

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
I would love either Caldwell or Leipold.

That said, I think fans need to understand what a huge rebuild this is going to be. Frankly, we likely have a larger rebuild in front of us than the rebuild CGC had to undertake.

I still these quotes are very telling.
"They've recruited a bunch of guys that other staffs think are overrated. That's fine, you have differences in evaluations, but they aren't a development program either."
"Chip [Long] knows what he's doing, but it's a really bare cupboard"
"Every good player on defense is gone or in the portal"

So really, it isn't just poor player development. It is also likely poor evaluating in recruiting as well which means the talent level is not as high as many in the fanbase think. Whoever comes in next likely has a bigger rebuild job than Collins did. Not only is a new coaching staff needed, but there is going to have to be significant turnover in the personnel and that may take a couple of years to achieve.

One other note: keep in mind that GT is paying $14MM per year in debt servicing (more than we spend on scholarships)- that is a huge reason why GT's AA is always in financial straits. GT has $33MM in principal due in 2023 so they must have a note (or two) that come due next year.
It is a humbling thought that GT will likely be one of the bottom P5 programs for the next couple of years. Thank god for Colorado!