I know posts like this are heretical around here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Collect the same data for the offense. You'll find that under Gailey, along with the 5-8 points fewer points allowed by the defense, GT scored 9-18 points fewer on offense.

So, Gailey's offense scored fewer points and had fewer plays over 20 yards, but for some reason people who want more excitement want to go back to that.
I did reference that. Go back and read.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Dude, the defense has gotten worse since he has been here. Explain that. Other coaches at Tech with less support have done much better than what we are seeing. I don't want to hear about defections and academic casualties because that would be against your argument that Tech doesn't have those problems. EIGHT years buddy and this ish is worse than year ONE. Numbers don't lie.

If you were asking me to explain that I'd say the stuff we're doing scheme wise isn't working and we're not as talented as we need to be in spots. I'd say that has more to do with our defensive woes than CPJ only halfheartedly caring about defense. Which, to be frank, is a pretty ignorant thought. There's a pretty massive gap between getting poor results because what you're doing isn't getting it done and what you're trying to insinuate. I don't know what CPJ did to you but I don't understand why you feel the need to constantly make stuff up in an attempt to besmirch the guy. It doesn't help you make your point. Disagreeing with a silly comment doesn't mean you're ok with where the defense is at. I don't think anyone is going to argue with you that the defense hasn't been very good or that it doesn't need to improve.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm trying to get my mind wrapped around this entire thread. It starts out with a complaint about CPJ complaining about the defense, while the last 4 pages have been trashing the defense and how bad it has become. Were we just mad that CPJ stole our thunder?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Boom,
Hard to herd bees , ha ha!!

I try to provide numbers or pictures for CONTENT and therefore COMMENT.

What do u think the picture I attached?
Sure shows guys still trying but not on same page for a game 12 defense?

What do u think of the dl in the picture?
It is clearly a pass and there is no rb near them and they are still in run lane discipline.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm trying to get my mind wrapped around this entire thread. It starts out with a complaint about CPJ complaining about the defense, while the last 4 pages have been trashing the defense and how bad it has become. Were we just mad that CPJ stole our thunder?

And in between there's a whole lot of the Smarm and Sunshine crowd's illiterate ways. Please delete my account. This site is the polar opposite of BbuzzOff. I am going to go search for a forum where you can have both positives and negatives without a few alpha posters taking issue and the masses of sycophants falling in line.

Enjoy this forum, where half of the idiots pick us to go 16-0 and spew vitriol at you when you question the rationality of it, and then spend the whole season crying.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
And in between there's a whole lot of the Smarm and Sunshine crowd's illiterate ways. Please delete my account. This site is the polar opposite of BbuzzOff. I am going to go search for a forum where you can have both positives and negatives without a few alpha posters taking issue and the masses of sycophants falling in line.

Enjoy this forum, where half of the idiots pick us to go 16-0 and spew vitriol at you when you question the rationality of it, and then spend the whole season crying.
WB...not sure why you feel bailing out of the forum is productive...counter points provide a change in perspective that are what keep things interesting...I particularly enjoy the controversy predicated on the assertions being civily presented (had a bad experience on AJC Blog that was simply unprofessional)..hang in there...

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Boom,

It is clearly a pass and there is no rb near them and they are still in run lane discipline.
I see a LB with his eyes in the backfield as a TE runs right past him, uncovered, down the middle of the field. In most defenses, with that many receivers in route, that is his man.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Boom,

I see a TE wide frick' open to the point of being ridiculous. A forced punt on from the 12 (short of 1st down) and we have a chance... less clock burned and opportunity for more that two prayer throws... doesn't guarantee a win, but a hheck of a lot better chance to have done so.

Paul's first year at Tech his defense gave up 16.18 points per game. This year Paul's defense gave up 25.75 points per game. Points per game against Tech has gone up every year Paul has been here and yes Tech's points per game has also gone up, but this discussion is about the defense. Those are numbers from a coach that half heartedly cares about defense. The article that has this debate going comes across to me that he was ticked off that author may have said something about his offense, so he blows back about expectations and all that BS. The ending to all this is he is responsible for the whole pie good, bad, indifferent. He needs to own the whole mess not say well if they did or they should have, if expectations were the same. What he's doing is saying the defense is not my fault, I run the offense blame them for that. Obama like, deflection.
Read this Ronnie.

Because upstateJacket has proven himself over and over again to be nothing more than a foolish hater, I choose to ignore anything he post from now on. I don't have time to waste on ignorance
You are calling me foolish? That is funny. I provided numbers to back up my stance, which you have whined in the past that I don't have info to back my point. The defense has been crap since he got here. You admit that. The difference is I call a spade a spade. You are a blind sheep that just follows the masses. I truly feel sorry for you. Name calling, belittling someone for a thought is childish. Are you a demoncrat? Are you Billary supporter? This is America where we still have freedom of thought without persecution. Call me what you want, I don't care what YOU think of me. This board cannot have civil discussion if the two parties don's agree w/one another. Babies, need to grow up.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I could not be more confused by this thread. The entire point seems to be taking one beat writer's perspective on one statement from a 12 minute press conference and reaching the conclusion that Johnson only blamed the defense for the loss, or that was somehow the "first thing he said," or that he doesn't care about the defense. These are mostly laughable statements, but also ones that are easily verified. The audio from that post game press conference is on this very site. In fact, the first thing he blames in his opening statement is turnovers, followed by offensive execution, only then by saying we couldn't get a stop on the final series when we needed one. He says multiple times that they need to coach better, spends most of the time talking about poor execution on offense, and makes the statements quoted in the article in response to a reporter's question suggesting that the run defense was good. Johnson said he did not agree that giving up 194 rushing yds on over 6yds per carry was good and that we should have better expectations for the defense. Does anyone disagree with any of that?

https://gtswarm.com/threads/georgia-vs-georgia-tech-postgame-press-conference.8733/

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I see a LB with his eyes in the backfield as a TE runs right past him, uncovered, down the middle of the field. In most defenses, with that many receivers in route, that is his man.

Content received content returned
Watching this play brought back really bad memories so I can be rightfully accused of making it more than the one play that it is.

A key play uga used to defeat us in 1965 AND 1966 or 1967 was just like this one except the full back slipped out over the middle after acting like he was going to block. Great fake handoff to I back following fullback. I back drew a huge crowd and then qb dropped off to fullback for a critical first down. Even fooled all american safety bill eastman. 65 & the mafia remember that?

Have re watched "the play" (1:48 on gt bob) several times.
There were only 2 other receivers besides the tight end.
The left wr got lots of space on 28 = soft coverage? U decide.

The set up was run heavy I type formtion with great tail back --- BUT LT was line up almost yd of line in two point stance( then he held freeman- this guy can't get a call). We were going to stop the run!.

The 2 LB lined up on line of scrimmage right over the te AND gave him a clean release!! THEN when right tackle went left in pass blocking set up, chase did not immediately sense pass and fire at qb. This was a bam bam play so no real fault here. If pj davis was for 48 , would he have held up the te and then gone full speed after the qb? Will ask him someday.

Truly Great 1 st down call by their coach.

Will get them next year because we will stop ol doing the Ole' pass blocking.

GO JACKETS

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Read this Ronnie.

I asked you to compare Gailey's offensive numbers to Johnson's in the manner you compared their defensive numbers.

You reply was

I did reference that. Go back and read.

The post you quoted this time included the word offense, but did not even remotely compare Johnson's to previous offenses. This post was saying that Johnson dues not take responsibility for the defense. It has been pointed out many times in this thread that people who have listened to entire interview sessions with CPJ, that he points out flaws with all areas of the team including the offense and the coaches. Every time that I have heard him, he hasn't seemed to be throwing anyone under the bus, just giving honest analysis of what has happened.

If you can find a complete recording of this interview, and prove to me that the reporter asked about problems with the offense, and that CPJ only replied with "the defense is at fault", then I will agree with your assessment. Until then, I will assume that this reporter heard the very same things that I have heard all year long with my own ears and choose to only write about a small portion of it.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I could not be more confused by this thread. The entire point seems to be taking one beat writer's perspective on one statement from a 12 minute press conference and reaching the conclusion that Johnson only blamed the defense for the loss, or that was somehow the "first thing he said," or that he doesn't care about the defense. These are mostly laughable statements, but also ones that are easily verified. The audio from that post game press conference is on this very site. In fact, the first thing he blames in his opening statement is turnovers, followed by offensive execution, only then by saying we couldn't get a stop on the final series when we needed one. He says multiple times that they need to coach better, spends most of the time talking about poor execution on offense, and makes the statements quoted in the article in response to a reporter's question suggesting that the run defense was good. Johnson said he did not agree that giving up 194 rushing yds on over 6yds per carry was good and that we should have better expectations for the defense. Does anyone disagree with any of that?

https://gtswarm.com/threads/georgia-vs-georgia-tech-postgame-press-conference.8733/
This. I wish I read through this thread sooner. The context is all right here folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.