I know posts like this are heretical around here

Status
Not open for further replies.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
There is no doubt the Offense fell down this yr but from 10-14 they were about 25Th in country in ypp.The Def came in at about 75th.This was the yr that the DEF needed to step up big time and jump to 40th?to carry us somewhat.It didn't happen even with 6 Srs and 2 Jrs starting and few injuries until late.That is my problem with the DEF .On top of that-If next yr, the DEF comes close even this yr I'll be amazed. er, see '09

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Then let us make the discussion be based on fact not some hyperbolic fantasy where we can make up points that suit our opinion. I asked earlier for ANY quote where Paul directly blames the defense for a loss, and I have yet to see one.

No one is happy with our offense this year, and I would guarantee that CPJ was at the head of the line for who is most disappointed. Saying CPJ blames the defense because he has high expectations for them seems a bit over board.

Based on the timing of the comments he made directly after the UGA game, a game we lost 13-7, about raising expectations for the defense, what meaning should we infer from those comments?

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
There is no doubt the Offense fell down this yr but from 10-14 they were about 25Th in country in ypp.The Def came in at about 75th.This was the yr that the DEF needed to step up big time and jump to 40th?to carry us somewhat.It didn't happen even with 6 Srs and 2 Jrs starting and few injuries until late.That is my problem with the DEF .On top of that-If next yr, the DEF comes close even this yr I'll be amazed. er, see '09

Yes, but does it not seem odd at all that the commentary on defensive expectations comes after their second best performance of the year?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Based on the timing of the comments he made directly after the UGA game, a game we lost 13-7, about raising expectations for the defense, what meaning should we infer from those comments?

Every time I have heard him discuss such things this year it is along the lines of:

Offense can't make a play.
Defense can't stop a play.
Special teams cannot even snap the ball to the punter.
Coaches should be doing a better job of teaching and motivating the players.

I have heard him say that he had expected the offense to trend down this year and that he had hoped that the defense would step up. However, I have not heard him say that the defense is THE reason that we lose games.

The fact that THIS reporter in THIS report ONLY posted comments about defense does not mean that CPJ only spoke negatively about the defense.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
That CPJ doesn't hand out trophies for participation? He was disgusted after a loss to UGA, just like we all were. Do you actually think we played a flawless game on Saturday? Were you not just a TAD disappointed when we couldn't stop them when pinned at the 7? The defense didn't lose the game for us, they were true warriors, but that doesn't mean they won it for us either.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Yes, but does it not seem odd at all that the commentary on defensive expectations comes after their second best performance of the year?

I heard CPJ on the radio show after either the Duke or UNC game say that he expected the defense to fill in the gaps that the seniors leaving the offense created. It did not start after the UGA game.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
That CPJ doesn't hand out trophies for participation? He was disgusted after a loss to UGA, just like we all were. Do you actually think we played a flawless game on Saturday? Were you not just a TAD disappointed when we couldn't stop them when pinned at the 7? The defense didn't lose the game for us, they were true warriors, but that doesn't mean they won it for us either.

Not really, because even if we had gotten the ball at midfield I had zero confidence in the ability to drive for a TD. I was hoping for a defensive score, that was about the only way we were going to win at that point.

Foe me, this goes to the OL, which lies at Mike Sewak's feet.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
Every time I have heard him discuss such things this year it is along the lines of:

Offense can't make a play.
Defense can't stop a play.
Special teams cannot even snap the ball to the punter.
Coaches should be doing a better job of teaching and motivating the players.

I have heard him say that he had expected the offense to trend down this year and that he had hoped that the defense would step up. However, I have not heard him say that the defense is THE reason that we lose games.

The fact that THIS reporter in THIS report ONLY posted comments about defense does not mean that CPJ only spoke negatively about the defense.

I have conceded that both the (understandable) overall anti-media vibe CPJ has and the framing of this particular article are probably more of a factor here.

However, I do not think they are the only factors, even if they are by far the largest.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
I've done my fair share of griping about CTR, including his unimaginative schemes, but when we finally do hold a superior opponent to less than 2 TDs, that is not the time to raise the expectations of the defense. It would have been better leadership to do so had we won 14-13, not after a game in which we were fortunate not to be shut out.
Are you referring to that powerhouse offense the puppies were running, because their offense, for much of the year, was just as ineffective as ours.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
This is not even remotely true. There are times when it is appropriate to single out under-performing segments of the whole. This would be a fine plot for a Disney film, but you cannot honestly believe that sometimes we win in spite of circumstances or performances and not because of them. That's also part of being a team. If you do honestly believe this, I would suggest choosing to read books that aren't sold in "Inspiration and Self-Help" next time you read.

I believe what I said, and stand by what I presented in support of my opinion.

What evidence do you have that indicates I am wrong?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
In what way does the .5 point discrepancy detract from my overall point, or do you have a bone to pick with me? If you do, just send me nasty PMs that I can ignore without derailing the thread to engage in auto-erotic nitpickery.

Edit to say that it's not clear that 29.5 is the average, it seems to be the median (except it isn't that either, but maybe you thought it was.)
Lol. I summed and divided by 128, it was pretty clear. I was going to let this go until your edit. But yes, I feel like egregious stretches of the truth detract from your overall point. You were building arguments based on sensational headlines and made up facts.
I was bored so for fun:
2015: 29.5
2014: 29.1
2013: 29.3
2012: 29.0
2011: 28.1
2010: 27.7
Hardly "above 30 for two decades". If we are going to be pedantic about CPJ's press conferences after a loss, let's at least try to get our facts remotely straight.

I wish our offense would have been competent. I wish our defense would have been better. I think CPJ would agree.

You act like he wrote the article. He didn't. The problem with your post is you conflate CPJ with the author of the article. This is all Paul said:

"You've got to get better expectations," Johnson said. "For whatever reason, if the offense doesn't score every time, they stink. And if we can make them punt four times, that's great. We've got to have the expectations for both sides."

"We still had a chance," Johnson said. "We get them on the 6-yard line, and whenever we need a stop, we can't get one."

The first quote isn't about the uga game. It's about expectations being the same for both sides, in general. He doesn't point out two possessions; he points to one. He doesn't discuss the offense because the author of the article didn't quote him on the offense. CPJ didn't choose the quotes, the author did. Paul has criticized the offense on a number of occasions (see my last post in this thread) and admitted that it starts with him. I don't need to reread the article because I got it the first time. Did you?
Your whole rant was the d hasn't been good all year so
Again, the point is that the D and O should be treated evenly. We pretty much were unstoppable on offense last year. This year we regressed to where the D and O were about even. Saying the "HC doesn't care about defense" is laughable. You really think Paul doesn't care about defense?

The inconsistency is amazing. Fans are satisfied when our D gets a few stops, and want CPJ's head to roll when our offense gets stopped more than a few times.

And if you haven't heard Paul take accountability for anything, you just aren't paying attention. This took about 8 seconds to find. I hope you admit you are wrong in the next post; I'm sick of all the people criticizing Johnson for never taking responsibility.

“I think a lot of it is youth. A lot of is guys who will not probably be playing next year when we get everybody back, and we’ve got to coach better, so it’s all of the above. We’ve got to pay more attention to detail, and we’ve got to do a better job coaching.”

http://www.myajc.com/news/sports/co...rnallink_referralbox_free-to-premium-referral

"I've never experienced anything like this in my coaching career, being as inept as we are on offense," said Johnson. "I was disappointed with the effort today. We looked like a very poorly coached team. That starts with me. Right from the very opening series offensively. We can't even take the play call into the huddle without screwing it up."

http://www.fromtherumbleseat.com/20...tech-has-worst-rushing-performance-under-paul
You act like he wrote the article. He didn't. The problem with your post is you conflate CPJ with the author of the article. This is all Paul said:

"You've got to get better expectations," Johnson said. "For whatever reason, if the offense doesn't score every time, they stink. And if we can make them punt four times, that's great. We've got to have the expectations for both sides."

"We still had a chance," Johnson said. "We get them on the 6-yard line, and whenever we need a stop, we can't get one."

The first quote isn't about the uga game. It's about expectations being the same for both sides, in general. He doesn't point out two possessions; he points to one. He doesn't discuss the offense because the author of the article didn't quote him on the offense. CPJ didn't choose the quotes, the author did. Paul has criticized the offense on a number of occasions (see my last post in this thread) and admitted that it starts with him. I don't need to reread the article because I got it the first time. Did you?
I am not acting like he wrote anything. He is taking shots at the defense because his offense couldn't get the job done. What he and everyone is failing to discuss is how long was the defense on the field against ugag? Tech's d was on the field much longer than the offense was. He can be snarky and comment on having even expectations but until he realizes defense wins not his wing T, the defense will not get better. Funny how before Paul arrived Tech routinely had a top 25 defense. What is the difference? Paul is. Please address why we have had 3 DC's in 8 years?

I am not acting like he wrote anything. He is taking shots at the defense because his offense couldn't get the job done. What he and everyone is failing to discuss is how long was the defense on the field against ugag? Tech's d was on the field much longer than the offense was. He can be snarky and comment on having even expectations but until he realizes defense wins not his wing T, the defense will not get better. Funny how before Paul arrived Tech routinely had a top 25 defense. What is the difference? Paul is. Please address why we have had 3 DC's in 8 years?
"Please address why we have had 3 DC's in 8 years?"
Perhaps because this same coach who "doesn't care anything about defense" cares enough to try to get a DC who can build a good defense.

Did you also ask why Richt had 3 DC's in 8 years?

"Please address why we have had 3 DC's in 8 years?"
Perhaps because this same coach who "doesn't care anything about defense" cares enough to try to get a DC who can build a good defense.
We didn't have any problems building a good defense until Paul arrived. Someone stated how can I think Paul doesn't care about defense. Stats don't lie, we have had some of our worst defenses under Paul Johnson.

We didn't have any problems building a good defense until Paul arrived. Someone stated how can I think Paul doesn't care about defense. Stats don't lie, we have had some of our worst defenses under Paul Johnson.
As bad as Gomer was he still fielded a decent defense year in and year out. His offense was the problem, namely Reggie Ball.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
And Paul is still standing? Ironic the winning coach gets fired and losing coach gets a pass. Winners want winners, losers well they just wish "wait until next year"
Well Paul is what 3-2 vs top 10 teams in the calendar year? Numbers off top of my head so I'm probably wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.