I Don't Like To...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
i don’t believe gunners or wr alignment is relative to the center like a down linemen. In other words the down linemen can line up with their heads even with the centers butt. But wide outs or gunners have to be on the line.

The top gunner is not on the line tight like the bottom gunner is. The fact is he is off of it a bit and I could see that being called. Its borderline

Really? One of them has his foot half on the twenty yard line. The other has his toe on the twenty yard line.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
At least 3 of those were complete BS penalties. The phantom procedure on the FG, the BS formation call on the Harvin punt, and the Def PI. And I didn't see anything "thuggish".
I saw at least two plays that should have been unneccesary roughness against UM, one where a time outwas called before the ball snapped and a Miami player just steamrolled Graham after the whistle, the other when a Miami player kneed Jerry Howard in the chest after the whistle, both very obvious cheapshots with refs standing there watching

Bule

Jolly Good Fellow
Wtf is this crap about “thuggish”? Taunting and being physically nasty to get penalties is thuggish. Having players stay hyped, juiced and excited may be very different than the CPJ regime and what we are used to but far from thuggish. Give it a rest, it may not be your style, but if it is what is takes to keep these kids motivated, even during the rough times, and attracts young highly ranked recruits to a culture than who are we to complain??

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw at least two plays that should have been unneccesary roughness against UM, one where a time outwas called before the ball snapped and a Miami player just steamrolled Graham after the whistle, the other when a Miami player kneed Jerry Howard in the chest after the whistle, both very obvious cheapshots with refs standing there watching

right, I meant 'thuggish' by us. Miami got away with garbage all afternoon. Refs were terrible.

motynes

Jolly Good Fellow
@Ibeeballin thanks for all the clips. Love them. Really miss your defensive breakdowns.

I do think the coaching staff is genuine and seem to really have the players bought in. He seems to be making better coaching decisions. Everyone has been railing on our oline all year. They played really well in the 2nd half.

As for the penalties, we have been really good this year. I personally believe the only thing you can blame the coaches for on penalties is when you have delay of game for not getting plays in, too many people on the field, etc.

I am just so happy that P’naude called the 2nd half the way he did. The passing game will come I believe. I do like some of the concepts. I like graham finally at QB. I liked Oliver at QB. Sanders is playing lights out. Wish we could target him more cause he catches everything. Brown is awesome. I think Oliver can be awesome. Would like to run some wildcat with him tho. Cause he is amazing with the ball in his hands. All those are wishful thinking. Loved all the power running. Line up and hit the guy in front of you. Pull the guards. Hit the guy that comes in front of you. We seem to be good at them. Let’s stick with that.

FLTech

Georgia Tech Fan
express long term opinions based on short term observations. So, I have been holding off for a while, preferring to reflect on a larger data sample. I thought about posting this last week, so please don't think that my following comments are based on the single, most recent win.

I am starting to believe in CGC as the right person to run our program. I base that comment on how he has handled himself during the losing streak and the tough times, combined with how hard the kids have played and stuck together despite it all. To be truthful, I wasn't really bought in during the off season hype. That stuff just doesn't resonate with me. Then our season began. You can tell so much more about athletes and coaches (and fans) when things aren't going well. EVERYBODY is great when things are going well. That cannot be said about the opposite. IMHO CGC is doing the only thing he can do under the circumstances, and that is teach kids how to compete in his system, as well as setting standards for effort and behavior etc etc. It is no small task to create an environment where kids that age stick together, despite some very humbling circumstances. Yet we have. Compare that to what you saw from MyHammy yesterday. Additionally, I believe our kids have played harder than our opponents in every FBS contest thus far, all the way to the final snap. We have been better than our opponents in the second half. I know big leads/deficits can affect that dynamic, but it hasn't affected us in the least bit. CGC has taken a lot of pages straight out of the USMC playbook (competition is king with rewards and consequences for every single training event) and I so appreciate that. There is zero doubt in my mind that that stuff works. I would bet the house that CGC has sat down at some point with a person in the Marines and discussed leadership training etc etc in an effort to build the correct culture for his CFB teams.

In no way shape of form do I think we are a good ACC football team at the moment. We are not. With that said, we are an amazing TEAM in a more general sense. If we can be a great TEAM in the current circumstances, imagine what we can become in better ones.

I also do not think that yesterday's game was a turning point. Certainly, it represents something to build on. It was a "gut check" and "fortunate" win where we simply found a way. We may go on to win more games, but I have no illusions in thinking they will be easy or pretty. Literally no result, in any week, moving forward, would surprise me, unless we were to quit on the field. That would surprise me.

Finally, I will say, I don't think we are THAT far off of having a very formidable presence in the ACC. To be truthful, Graham is starting to remind me of frosh Joe Hamilton. Most of the tools look similar, as are the type of mistakes that are being made. Fridge was Lil' Joe's mentor, and by mid-sophomore year, he had him dialed in to the point that he was one of the most feared QBs in the land. We are simply a year's experience (for most position groups, not just QB) and a couple of guys on the interior of each line away from being pretty darned good. I believe the culture has been established and the skill position talent is there to be further cultivated.

Thanks for listening (err, reading).

it's ONE win

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
IMO, the most important thing to take away from this game, as BG originally said, CGC has these guys playing hard, with great attitude !!
And I totally disagree with this BS about thuggishness ... a little chippiness is a part of playing football, just don't take it to the next level and be smart about it as far as costly penalties.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I don't get this board sometimes. Last week the problem was that people were ok with Collins going 1-11. Now the problem is that people are encouraged by winning another game and seeing the team improve every week? Why is it such a bad thing on this board for people to be optimistic and hopeful for the future of this program?

Oh you get this board (and others) lately.

Some folks just wanna watch the world burn ... and don't understand why you're not miserable too.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
@Ibeeballin I think Oliver can be awesome. Would like to run some wildcat with him tho. Cause he is amazing with the ball in his hands.

In a vacuum I like the idea of a wildcat package for Oliver, and I bet the coaches do too.

IMO, there are probably two reasons we aren't doing it. First, I think Mason gives us the best chance to get yards on the ground because of the OL injuries and inexperience. A lot of his yards Saturday were after contact. Oliver is a tough runner but doesn't have Mason's ability to break tackles at the beginning of the run/at the LOS. Second, Grahm is a young QB and has shown the ability to improve during a game when he stays in. So keep him in and keep feeding him reps...both for overall improvement and intragame improvement.

I do think Oliver is an absolute weapon and I'd love to get him the ball more. I liked the WR quick screen out of the bunch formation to Sanders. Would be a good play for Oliver as well. Some sort of rocket toss type play to him would be interesting.

In a vacuum I like the idea of a wildcat package for Oliver, and I bet the coaches do too.

IMO, there are probably two reasons we aren't doing it. First, I think Mason gives us the best chance to get yards on the ground because of the OL injuries and inexperience. A lot of his yards Saturday were after contact. Oliver is a tough runner but doesn't have Mason's ability to break tackles at the beginning of the run/at the LOS. Second, Grahm is a young QB and has shown the ability to improve during a game when he stays in. So keep him in and keep feeding him reps...both for overall improvement and intragame improvement.

I do think Oliver is an absolute weapon and I'd love to get him the ball more. I liked the WR quick screen out of the bunch formation to Sanders. Would be a good play for Oliver as well. Some sort of rocket toss type play to him would be interesting.
I have seen Oliver break tackles, but he is definitely not the POWER runner that Mason is.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

IMO, there are probably two reasons we aren't doing it. First, I think Mason gives us the best chance to get yards on the ground because of the OL injuries and inexperience. A lot of his yards Saturday were after contact. Oliver is a tough runner but doesn't have Mason's ability to break tackles at the beginning of the run/at the LOS. Second, Grahm is a young QB and has shown the ability to improve during a game when he stays in. So keep him in and keep feeding him reps...both for overall improvement and intragame improvement.i

Is a place for TO at tight end?

yea, 9 can help block but, imo, he can t get open quickly he just draws more opponents into the box == ol issues are magnified.

Would TO as a split out tight end be a nightmare for a lb?
If we spread them out - Howard , mason and graham get more space?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
By rule they are. The 5th guy not on the line was likely the topside gunner in that pic. And that is questionable, otherwise if he is on the line the call is inexcusable

This doesn't really help the stereotype that ACC refs are pretty incompetent. I think it was last year we lined up in our unbalanced "Over Green" formation and got a big play and the refs tossed a flag for illegal formation. The TV cams zoomed in on PJ and you could see him yell, "IT'S AN UNBALANCED LINE". What's worse is that we ran that formation earlier in the game, then all of a sudden on a key down they toss the flag.

Regardless, maybe it's a teaching point for next time: perhaps the gunners should point to the linesmen and confirm that they are on the line, much like WR's do. Someone needs to give the refs the business.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I kind of disagree on the importance of the win--in fact that fake punt TD gave us momentum that was HUGELY important to show we could keep up in lots of ways ( and outfoxing the U was REALLY sweet.)
It was the type of play that also showed our staff was NOT dull and what they were selling would pay off.
In fact, it might prove to be a "regime saver" since we not only beat the line but also WON. We were heading headlong toward 1-11 which might have been a calamity for the future.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
And compare that to the ABYSMAL fake punt attempt by Arkansas. This was a well designed and well executed play which gave our team a boost in the arm it badly needed.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck

Looks like Miami is still Miami under the Jimmy Johnson era...