I Don't Like To...

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Really? One of them has his foot half on the twenty yard line. The other has his toe on the twenty yard line.

One is on 20. The other is closer to the 19 with foot on the 2 of twenty. The ball was spotted on the 19. By rule anything under 1 yard from ball is considered on los. The bottom gunner therefore is clearly in compliance.

The top gunner is on the 20. The ball is on the 19, or close to it. He is essentially at one yard. Therefore its a judgment call. The ref flagged him. Iiwii. But thats the rule. Because the ball is not quite fully on the 19 u could let this go and it be ok. By the same token its too close for comfort and the gunner should know better to check or creep up

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I watched the whole game and, other than 2 questionable penalties (on the punt where Harvin had a Roughing call negated and the other on the non-flinch on the FG), I don't recall any silly fouls after big plays yesterday.

Shoving dead ball on 21. Holding on 73. Unsportsman dead ball on 22 (excused by Collins). Early movement on the FG 93. All these hurt. I am not upset with the 3 on #3 as he made several outstanding plays and one TFL and two of the calls were borderline. There were overall too many penalties (about 85 yards worth I believe). Aggressive fouls happen if you are playing hard. Its the dead ball mouthing/pushing and pre-snap fouls you have to eliminate.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
it's ONE win

It's one win that virtually no one thought we would get. ESPN gave us a 6 percent chance. Some folks had even talked themselves into forecasting back to back 1-11 seasons. In a few weeks time, we have gone from maybe having a competitive quarter to competing for a full game. Make no mistake, this one win was a big one for the program and it's okay to be juiced about it.

FLTech

Georgia Tech Fan
express long term opinions based on short term observations. So, I have been holding off for a while, preferring to reflect on a larger data sample. I thought about posting this last week, so please don't think that my following comments are based on the single, most recent win.

I am starting to believe in CGC as the right person to run our program. I base that comment on how he has handled himself during the losing streak and the tough times, combined with how hard the kids have played and stuck together despite it all. To be truthful, I wasn't really bought in during the off season hype. That stuff just doesn't resonate with me. Then our season began. You can tell so much more about athletes and coaches (and fans) when things aren't going well. EVERYBODY is great when things are going well. That cannot be said about the opposite. IMHO CGC is doing the only thing he can do under the circumstances, and that is teach kids how to compete in his system, as well as setting standards for effort and behavior etc etc. It is no small task to create an environment where kids that age stick together, despite some very humbling circumstances. Yet we have. Compare that to what you saw from MyHammy yesterday. Additionally, I believe our kids have played harder than our opponents in every FBS contest thus far, all the way to the final snap. We have been better than our opponents in the second half. I know big leads/deficits can affect that dynamic, but it hasn't affected us in the least bit. CGC has taken a lot of pages straight out of the USMC playbook (competition is king with rewards and consequences for every single training event) and I so appreciate that. There is zero doubt in my mind that that stuff works. I would bet the house that CGC has sat down at some point with a person in the Marines and discussed leadership training etc etc in an effort to build the correct culture for his CFB teams.

In no way shape of form do I think we are a good ACC football team at the moment. We are not. With that said, we are an amazing TEAM in a more general sense. If we can be a great TEAM in the current circumstances, imagine what we can become in better ones.

I also do not think that yesterday's game was a turning point. Certainly, it represents something to build on. It was a "gut check" and "fortunate" win where we simply found a way. We may go on to win more games, but I have no illusions in thinking they will be easy or pretty. Literally no result, in any week, moving forward, would surprise me, unless we were to quit on the field. That would surprise me.

Finally, I will say, I don't think we are THAT far off of having a very formidable presence in the ACC. To be truthful, Graham is starting to remind me of frosh Joe Hamilton. Most of the tools look similar, as are the type of mistakes that are being made. Fridge was Lil' Joe's mentor, and by mid-sophomore year, he had him dialed in to the point that he was one of the most feared QBs in the land. We are simply a year's experience (for most position groups, not just QB) and a couple of guys on the interior of each line away from being pretty darned good. I believe the culture has been established and the skill position talent is there to be further cultivated.

Thanks for listening (err, reading).
This post almost brought a damn tear to my eyes. Great Post!! That was a very enjoyable read.

Sure, a lot of the reason for the Miami win were bonehead mistakes by them, but our fellas hung in there until the end.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
if your head is on the is on the center butt, then you are considered on the line

Agree. Even many years ago the rule was your most forward part (usually tip of helmet) has to be up to the center's waist or closer. Now they let the center role the ball around and even slide it forward a bit just before snap. Also most OTs line up in the backfield by these "rules", mostly because they are often in a more upright position (two point stance). Maybe the refs assume the tackle's head would be up to the center's waist if he leaned forward into his 3 point stance? Slippery slope.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
@Ibeeballin thanks for all the clips. Love them. Really miss your defensive breakdowns.

I do think the coaching staff is genuine and seem to really have the players bought in. He seems to be making better coaching decisions. Everyone has been railing on our oline all year. They played really well in the 2nd half.

As for the penalties, we have been really good this year. I personally believe the only thing you can blame the coaches for on penalties is when you have delay of game for not getting plays in, too many people on the field, etc.

I am just so happy that P’naude called the 2nd half the way he did. The passing game will come I believe. I do like some of the concepts. I like graham finally at QB. I liked Oliver at QB. Sanders is playing lights out. Wish we could target him more cause he catches everything. Brown is awesome. I think Oliver can be awesome. Would like to run some wildcat with him tho. Cause he is amazing with the ball in his hands. All those are wishful thinking. Loved all the power running. Line up and hit the guy in front of you. Pull the guards. Hit the guy that comes in front of you. We seem to be good at them. Let’s stick with that.

In the 6th overtime of the UNC and VT game UNC threw for the two points unsuccessfully. VT used their big (wildcat) QB to power run off tackle for the win. That is what P'Node needs to do with Oliver on short yardage. He can also attack the outside with the option. Graham has limited inside game in short yardage and it is a good time for rest and some coaching him up on the sidelines.

DieselTeeth

Jolly Good Fellow
You misspelled most 18-22 year old athletes.

There are things to complain about, the people with no chance to play being engaged and trying to hype up their teammates that are playing shouldn’t be one of them IMO.

Collins’ mantra is focusing on the next play. When you do that, the scoreboard isn’t as relevant. Could it be embarrassing to fans and potentially the players when we are losing (especially to a team we should beat)? Sure. Is it any worse than looking defeated, not being locked in, and/or mailing it in? No. I’d prefer the former. I think most teams have the other option.
Like.. like.. like ..like..
Please coach, keep appealing to the young crowd and recruits. The gold seats on the 50 are almost turn over

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
express long term opinions based on short term observations. So, I have been holding off for a while, preferring to reflect on a larger data sample. I thought about posting this last week, so please don't think that my following comments are based on the single, most recent win.
I am starting to believe in CGC as the right person to run our program. ....
it's ONE win
This post almost brought a damn tear to my eyes. Great Post!! That was a very enjoyable read.
Sure, a lot of the reason for the Miami win were bonehead mistakes by them, but our fellas hung in there until the end.

I'm just not sure where to go with this...

jackets55

Jolly Good Fellow
Rule 2, Sec 27, ARTICLE 4. a. Lineman 2. A Team A player is legally on his scrimmage line when he faces his opponent’s goal line with the line of his shoulders approximately parallel thereto and either (a) he is the snapper (Rule 2-27-8) or (b) his head breaks the plane of the line drawn through the waistline of the snapper.

Rule 2, Sec 27, ARTICLE 4. d. Back 1. A back is any Team A player who is not a lineman and whose head or shoulder does not break the plane of the line drawn through the waistline of the nearest Team A lineman.

In the picture, the gunner at the top is clearly 2 yds off the line of scrimmage but that doesn't make him a back as long as he breaks the plane of the right tackle's waist, which it appears he does. However, him being so far removed from the line does draw attention to the fact the tackle is too far back from the center and clearly doesn't break the plane of the snapper's waist and is no longer a lineman but a back, hence the flag. Nit pick maybe, but one that could have been avoided. I think we had only 10 men on the field until the last couple of seconds and the top gunner ran onto the field. If I am remembering correctly.