I can't get excited about this year's offense

Animal02

Banned
I expect a much improved defense this year, but one thing keeps gnawing at me, the Spring Game. We all expected the first string O, with all it's missing linemen, to struggle against the first string D. It was quite the opposite. The offense marched through the defense like Sherman through Georgia. We pleasantly discovered we have a Bback in Marcus Allen and the Abacks and wr's didn't look too shabby, either. In fact, the only thing that stopped the first team O was the no-contact rule on JT. Maybe our O is just that good.... maybe it's something else.....

I would expect the O to struggle against the D simply because the D knows the playbook. We lost three games last year by a combined 13 points. One extra stop per game improvement by the D over last year, and this year could be incredible.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I expect a much improved defense this year, but one thing keeps gnawing at me, the Spring Game. We all expected the first string O, with all it's missing linemen, to struggle against the first string D. It was quite the opposite. The offense marched through the defense like Sherman through Georgia. We pleasantly discovered we have a Bback in Marcus Allen and the Abacks and wr's didn't look too shabby, either. In fact, the only thing that stopped the first team O was the no-contact rule on JT. Maybe our O is just that good.... maybe it's something else.....
Got my fingers crossed that the offense is going to be that good. Somebody out there will be smart enough to figure out an over/under on the playbook for the first two games vs. ND, which three weeks later has to play Navy. Pure vanilla for Alcorn and Tulane, or no more than is needed, and ND may see stuff that even FSU and MSU didn't see.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I would expect the O to struggle against the D simply because the D knows the playbook. We lost three games last year by a combined 13 points. One extra stop per game improvement by the D over last year, and this year could be incredible.
We called it snowbirding way back when and it drove us nuts. Coach shrugged it off and said if we didn't like it, do something about it. While the defensive coach smirked.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Cheese, our offense IS that good. The offensive efficiency stats from 2014 should be enough to convince anybody that this is the case. We broke all time records for the history of the stat for crying out loud. We destroyed defenses that shut down the majority of their schedules. I expect our offense to have success against our defense, even if our defense is much improved. I sincerely believe our defense will be better this year, even if only marginal progress compared to the second half of 2014. I just don't want to use success against our offense in scrimmages as a measuring stick, because it really isn't fair.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Cheese, our offense IS that good. The offensive efficiency stats from 2014 should be enough to convince anybody that this is the case. We broke all time records for the history of the stat for crying out loud. We destroyed defenses that shut down the majority of their schedules. I expect our offense to have success against our defense, even if our defense is much improved. I sincerely believe our defense will be better this year, even if only marginal progress compared to the second half of 2014. I just don't want to use success against our offense in scrimmages as a measuring stick, because it really isn't fair.
The first two games on the schedule shouldn't provide much of a measuring stick, either, unless we struggle. Then we'll all be you-know-whating bricks.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
The OL, I think, in the spring game was Chamberlain, Braun, Brigham, Burden, and Joe. I think that's a pretty tough group and would abuse a lot of defenses. (I know
Brigham is no longer playing) Additionally, the O's success might validate what some have been saying that AB, BB, and WR are pretty much plug and play in CPJ's offense if the QB and OL are where they need to be. Possibly, the pipeline at A and B are pretty solid with talent, too. Lastly, maybe our Defense isn't built to stop the TO since we never play it in a game. Did Roof have them in defensive sets that they will be running against offenses like Clemson, uga, and Miami? He might have been more interested in getting reps than stopping the O.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The defense will rise if that D line develops a pass rush. That has been the weakness of the team since CPJ arrived.

This. If we don't figure out how to get to the QB it will be a long season. We were what, last in the ACC in sacks last year? We likely won't have the advantage we had last year of scoring all the time. If you lower our TOP and PPG, we'd probably lose a few more.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
The OL, I think, in the spring game was Chamberlain, Braun, Brigham, Burden, and Joe. I think that's a pretty tough group and would abuse a lot of defenses. (I know
Brigham is no longer playing) Additionally, the O's success might validate what some have been saying that AB, BB, and WR are pretty much plug and play in CPJ's offense if the QB and OL are where they need to be. Possibly, the pipeline at A and B are pretty solid with talent, too. Lastly, maybe our Defense isn't built to stop the TO since we never play it in a game. Did Roof have them in defensive sets that they will be running against offenses like Clemson, uga, and Miami? He might have been more interested in getting reps than stopping the O.

Minor point. Chamberlain was injured and did not play in the Spring Game. Klock was in there. Many of the successful first team gains were outside where I saw some DB's dodging and more focused on the WR crackback block....a legacy no doubt left to them from Smelter (tic).

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This. If we don't figure out how to get to the QB it will be a long season. We were what, last in the ACC in sacks last year? We likely won't have the advantage we had last year of scoring all the time. If you lower our TOP and PPG, we'd probably lose a few more.
I'm not sure what you call a "long season," but I think we'll still be in most ball games with the same 'ol, same 'ol defense. I just highly doubt our D doesn't improve.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
it wasnt a buy in issueIMO. You can clearly see the scheme and playcall changes on tape. In fact it was publicly admitted by PJ they are calling it more aggressive.
I am on the fence about buy in thing. I don't mean to say guys didn't believe in the system, but more that they were trying to do too much - CTR mentioned guys playing like "cowboys" and getting caught out of position. I was just riffing off that notion and watching the first few games where it looks like we were out of place on D.

Legal Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not sure what you call a "long season," but I think we'll still be in most ball games with the same 'ol, same 'ol defense. I just highly doubt our D doesn't improve.

I agree that the D should improve. The issue is we are more likely to fall off on offense more than our improvement on defense. We lost so much on offense, to me that will likely outweigh the personnel gains on defense, particularly when considering our losses on D. Certainly the DL should be better, even without Green, but Isaiah won't be easy to replace and Quayshawn may well have been our best defensive player. And besides JHD its not like we've got a potential instant difference maker coming in - jury is still out on guys like Anree and Vic.

We should have a shot of winning every game. Even if our D gets a lot better and we improve as a team, we easily could be 8-4 because of our schedule. ND, clem, FSU, and uga are all losable - even for good teams - and on top of that we have @ dook, unc, virginia tech, and @ miami.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
yep, Cheese--there is a nagging doubt about the DEF left over a bit

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Last year Wofford had scored 9 and had several good drives by halftime and Tulane had 21 by halftime. So what I will be looking for this year is to see if we can largely shut down Alcorn State and Tulane offensively all game (except maybe mop up). I hope we will have many games this year where the offense doesn't have to dominate to win decisively.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
The 2014 defense was an entirely different D in the first half than the second half. I totally expect them to improve. They won't be a top 10 defense, but if they can get back to the 2013 level of play---and they most certainly can---GT can run the table.

Also, there will be players next season that break out. Maybe another Freeman, PJ Davis, Synjyn Days; guys we aren't expecting to produce a ton, but do.

I think we're in for another special year. Last year was so damn magical, it's something that will stay with me forever. Following this team in 2014 was one of the most thrilling experiences of my life.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The 2014 defense was an entirely different D in the first half than the second half. I totally expect them to improve. They won't be a top 10 defense, but if they can get back to the 2013 level of play---and they most certainly can---GT can run the table.

Also, there will be players next season that break out. Maybe another Freeman, PJ Davis, Synjyn Days; guys we aren't expecting to produce a ton, but do.

I think we're in for another special year. Last year was so damn magical, it's something that will stay with me forever. Following this team in 2014 was one of the most thrilling experiences of my life.
A look at the '15 schedule kind of leaves no one game that will tell us how good, or bad, this team is going to be. It might be another year of cresting in November.

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree that the D should improve. The issue is we are more likely to fall off on offense more than our improvement on defense. We lost so much on offense, to me that will likely outweigh the personnel gains on defense, particularly when considering our losses on D. Certainly the DL should be better, even without Green, but Isaiah won't be easy to replace and Quayshawn may well have been our best defensive player. And besides JHD its not like we've got a potential instant difference maker coming in - jury is still out on guys like Anree and Vic.

We should have a shot of winning every game. Even if our D gets a lot better and we improve as a team, we easily could be 8-4 because of our schedule. ND, clem, FSU, and uga are all losable - even for good teams - and on top of that we have @ dook, unc, virginia tech, and @ miami.
The schedule is brutal...it is concerning with all the new moving parts that need to be installed...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The schedule is brutal...it is concerning with all the new moving parts that need to be installed...
The schedule is going to be tough for certain. But not brutal. ND, for instance, has a tougher schedule and the interesting thing about the ACC/scheduling this season is that Tech, Clemson and ND do almost a round robin in the middle of it. Great scheduling, seriously. The Clemson-Tech game could be a classic, with two distinctly different option QBs vying not just for ACC recognition but maybe All-American.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Some personnel, like Bama, can do what they do because they can out-athlete every other team one on one, they don't need scheme to make mismatches or take chances to create disruption.

Please forgive me if I'm wrong. I was under the impression that the Bama 3-4 was primarily the more aggressive 1-gap specifically because getting the personnel necessary to run 2-gap (even at Bama) is too difficult at the collegiate level. They do, however, run more aggressive corner back schemes that take advantage of superior athleticism. Again, I may be mistaken, but that was how I understood it.

I do agree with the rest of your point. We MUST run a scheme that maximizes our potential and strengths. That is what I think the great coaches are capable of, and what I hope we are capable of.

I believe having two legitimate threats on the inside will open up our defense. It's incredible how one additional playmaker on the inside can make the rest of the defense look better. This is on top of the fact that our back four may be the best we've seen in some time already.