I can't get excited about this year's offense

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
because every time I start thinking about what type team and year we will have, the Defense comes to the front of my mind. I love the Offense and think it will be very good, but I haven't been this excited about our Defense since 1985. In '83 and '84 you could see something was developing. Well, we had been so bad for so long, you hoped something was developing. In '83 we had a lot of games where we gave up 30+ points. In '84 it was 20+ points (along with a 40 point blowout at Auburn), but we stuffed Alabama to start the season and uga to end it. You could just see them getting better, and almost all were coming back for the '85 season.

The first game against NC State, Swilling had about a half dozen sacks. I was at the game, and it wasn't that he played that well, NC State just let him run loose all day. The next game was UVA in Atlanta. No way were we going to lose, right? Their running back (Barry Word?) had about 200 yds rushing in the FIRST quarter, and we lost. I'll bet Roof hasn't forgotten him yet. But then the Defense settled in, and only two teams scored 17 points the rest of the season: Auburn with Bo Jackson, and Western Carolina the week before who probably should have beaten us. Nobody else scored as many as 17.

Swilling and Roof were good players, but the rest of that Defense just played hard and made plays. I believe Swilling and Pike (who surprised the hell out of me) were the only two that played in the NFL. Ricardo Ingram, just a sophomore then, probably could have, but he chose baseball. Oops, forgot about Reginald Rutland. So there were two seniors, and a junior that made NFL teams, and a sophomore that could have.

But back to this year. I cannot remember the last time we had both CB's as good as we have in White and Milton. We've had some individuals that were better, but not both at the same time. Can anyone remember a better pair? My Tech memory goes back to the late 60's. I know that's saying a lot, but I think it's true.

Golden reminds me a lot of Jeremy Muyres that played a dozen years or so ago and was All-ACC three years IIRC. Not super physical, but made a lot of plays. I seem to recall a three game stretch where Muyres had an interception to seal the win late in the fourth qtr. Having a fifth year senior like Golden at FS will be a big positive. I think replacing Isiah Johnson will be the biggest challenge by far for the Defense. Late last year he became what I thought he would be when I saw him play as a freshman.

Start with the assumption that Days can play and is as good as advertised. If so, this DL will push the ones from '07 and '08 as the best since 1990. We might actually have a legitimate two deep DL. I cannot say for certain whether or not that will be a positive since I have never seen Tech have depth on the DL. I would only be guessing. You think I'm kidding? Bobby Cremins couldn't have handled a two deep team. I think 7 players was the most he could keep straight in his head. Another thing I have never seen at Tech is a good DL along with two good CB's. I have always assumed the two were mutually exclusive. Last year's interception total might be in jeopardy.

Two (DL and DB) of the three parts of the Defense seem to me to be approaching as good as we've had since 1990. The third, LB's, are a question mark to me. Marcordes, Davis, and Harrell seem to be a solid workman like group. For sure, Smith & Fox, Rogers & Brooking, Wheeler & Hall, Williams & Tiggle were better than the current group. But you have to admit those are tough tough competition. Put any two of those on this team and we have a top 10 defense. From 1990 on, we have been blessed with some truly outstanding linebackers. Can Roof take the talent our current three LB's have and make them something special with his schemes? Did our weaknesses on the DL last year limit the LB's. Here's where we go from a good to a great defense, IMO.

In '12, I cringed when the Defense was on the field. In '13, I was hopeful. Last year, well at least late last year, I enjoyed watching them play. This year I'm excited more so than even about the offense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
because every time I start thinking about what type team and year we will have, the Defense comes to the front of my mind. I love the Offense and think it will be very good, but I haven't been this excited about our Defense since 1985. In '83 and '84 you could see something was developing. Well, we had been so bad for so long, you hoped something was developing. In '83 we had a lot of games where we gave up 30+ points. In '84 it was 20+ points (along with a 40 point blowout at Auburn), but we stuffed Alabama to start the season and uga to end it. You could just see them getting better, and almost all were coming back for the '85 season.

The first game against NC State, Swilling had about a half dozen sacks. I was at the game, and it wasn't that he played that well, NC State just let him run loose all day. The next game was UVA in Atlanta. No way were we going to lose, right? Their running back (Barry Word?) had about 200 yds rushing in the FIRST quarter, and we lost. I'll bet Roof hasn't forgotten him yet. But then the Defense settled in, and only two teams scored 17 points the rest of the season: Auburn with Bo Jackson, and Western Carolina the week before who probably should have beaten us. Nobody else scored as many as 17.

Swilling and Roof were good players, but the rest of that Defense just played hard and made plays. I believe Swilling and Pike (who surprised the hell out of me) were the only two that played in the NFL. Ricardo Ingram, just a sophomore then, probably could have, but he chose baseball. Oops, forgot about Reginald Rutland. So there were two seniors, and a junior that made NFL teams, and a sophomore that could have.

But back to this year. I cannot remember the last time we had both CB's as good as we have in White and Milton. We've had some individuals that were better, but not both at the same time. Can anyone remember a better pair? My Tech memory goes back to the late 60's. I know that's saying a lot, but I think it's true.

Golden reminds me a lot of Jeremy Muyres that played a dozen years or so ago and was All-ACC three years IIRC. Not super physical, but made a lot of plays. I seem to recall a three game stretch where Muyres had an interception to seal the win late in the fourth qtr. Having a fifth year senior like Golden at FS will be a big positive. I think replacing Isiah Johnson will be the biggest challenge by far for the Defense. Late last year he became what I thought he would be when I saw him play as a freshman.

Start with the assumption that Days can play and is as good as advertised. If so, this DL will push the ones from '07 and '08 as the best since 1990. We might actually have a legitimate two deep DL. I cannot say for certain whether or not that will be a positive since I have never seen Tech have depth on the DL. I would only be guessing. You think I'm kidding? Bobby Cremins couldn't have handled a two deep team. I think 7 players was the most he could keep straight in his head. Another thing I have never seen at Tech is a good DL along with two good CB's. I have always assumed the two were mutually exclusive. Last year's interception total might be in jeopardy.

Two (DL and DB) of the three parts of the Defense seem to me to be approaching as good as we've had since 1990. The third, LB's, are a question mark to me. Marcordes, Davis, and Harrell seem to be a solid workman like group. For sure, Smith & Fox, Rogers & Brooking, Wheeler & Hall, Williams & Tiggle were better than the current group. But you have to admit those are tough tough competition. Put any two of those on this team and we have a top 10 defense. From 1990 on, we have been blessed with some truly outstanding linebackers. Can Roof take the talent our current three LB's have and make them something special with his schemes? Did our weaknesses on the DL last year limit the LB's. Here's where we go from a good to a great defense, IMO.

In '12, I cringed when the Defense was on the field. In '13, I was hopeful. Last year, well at least late last year, I enjoyed watching them play. This year I'm excited more so than even about the offense.

I've had almost the exact same thoughts about our personnel on D this year. Demond Smith is replacing IJ, iiuc, and should be better there than at nickel. We also have depth in the secondary with Lynn Griffin and the Austins. I'm even perhaps a bit more optimistic than you about our talent at LB.

However, last season still baffles me. We had good games vs CU and georgie, and a few that were ok, but most were bad. I'm hoping that was due to youth and inexperience in key spots.

We should know pretty quickly what we have this season. I yearn for a shut down D like GT of past years.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm with you brother. Mainly because of the Days scouting reports. If he's anything less than a Suh-like disruptive force on nearly every down I'll be disappointed at this point. Which is unfair, but about where my expectation level is at for him.

ptjackets

Georgia Tech Fan
Our team will raise or fall with the defense. If you remember last year we were terrible however we found ways to get turnovers. That saved us over and over and changed the outcomes of games. Our defense gave up tons of yards but the Takeaway Titans always seem to manage and pull out a big turnover That save the game. Now, that is a sign of a good defense, however you can't always count on turnovers to save you. Example the Georgia game/orange bowl/Pittsburgh/North Carolina State/Clemson. Turnovers Change the outcome of those games. I think we will be better, however I don't think we will be Pittsburgh Steelers, steel curtain, type defense. I hope I am wrong. We will go as far this year is our defense Takes us. In order for us to be the team we all want our defense must improve beyween the 20s and stop the other team and get off the field more on third down

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
We have question marks on both sides of the ball, for sure, but I'm excited to see how those questions get answered. The players we have stepping into the lineup are exciting and offer a real promise of good play. But as we've seen many times, a players physical gifts are limited by his ability to play fast and instictual which is limited by his knowledge and comfort level which is mainly gained through experience which most of these guys lack. Let us hope the learning curve is steep for the vast majority of our newbies. (*steep in the technical sense not popular sense: graphing learning over time)

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
Funny, the one name I haven't seen on this thread about the defense is Freeman, and he might be the best, most important part of the whole damn thing. By the end of the last season, he wasn't playing like a true freshman, or even a sophomore. He was all over the place, and he was playing almost every down. I'm all kinds of psyched about watching him develop into a terror off the edge this year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
I know I said it pre last year, during first 3rd last year and continue to say it. This D will be fine provided we still call the schemes aggressive like we started doing second half last year. It will not be ok if we don't. The personnel we have, plays to a more aggressive set of calls. Some personnel, like Bama, can do what they do because they can out-athlete every other team one on one, they don't need scheme to make mismatches or take chances to create disruption. At a school like tech, we need to create mismatches with scheme and talk calculated chances to create disruption. Sure you can give up a big play...but we are doing that anyway...so you might as well add the disruption component.

To me Tenuta proved this. And second half last year began to validate. Groh proved you can't be Bama at tech, and first half last year kinda did too; where you lay off a bit and try to win individual matchups one on one and keep them in front of you mindset.

If we just simply rush 4, play quarters or 3 deep, or lol, rush 3 and do that...it will be long games....We need to combo blitz, bring cats, zone dog blah blah blah...

BuzzbaitGT

Georgia Tech Fan
"This D will be fine provided we still call the schemes aggressive like we started doing second half last year."

This.

Play smart; play fast; play aggressively. If playing aggressively on D results in giving up big plays from time to time, I'm fine with that, as long as we're also playing smart (i.e., the Jackets know their assignments and aren't blowing coverages).

When we take the fight *to* the opposition, it maximizes our strengths and minimizes our weaknesses on D, IMO.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Agree!Buzzbait - I think CTR figured that out a long time ago, but half way through the season it seems like the guys bought in. We had a lot of shuffling with the DL situation, and too often early in the season the boys who were new were shaky and the boys who had some experience were trying to ballhawk and stud out which left guys in the wrong position WAY too often and playing tentative.

Once the team bought in, and settled down, we saw the scheme begin to work. I am hoping we see that continue through this offseason and start things out right this year.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree!Buzzbait - I think CTR figured that out a long time ago, but half way through the season it seems like the guys bought in. We had a lot of shuffling with the DL situation, and too often early in the season the boys who were new were shaky and the boys who had some experience were trying to ballhawk and stud out which left guys in the wrong position WAY too often and playing tentative.

Once the team bought in, and settled down, we saw the scheme begin to work. I am hoping we see that continue through this offseason and start things out right this year.

it wasnt a buy in issueIMO. You can clearly see the scheme and playcall changes on tape. In fact it was publicly admitted by PJ they are calling it more aggressive.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Like @redmule I'm most excited about the D this year. But that is because of the three sides of a football team, the GT D has the most to improve. I like smash mouth O, big play ST and forcibly violating D.

Our team will raise or fall with the defense. If you remember last year we were terrible however we found ways to get turnovers. That saved us over and over and changed the outcomes of games. Our defense gave up tons of yards but the Takeaway Titans always seem to manage and pull out a big turnover That save the game. Now, that is a sign of a good defense, however you can't always count on turnovers to save you. Example the Georgia game/orange bowl/Pittsburgh/North Carolina State/Clemson. Turnovers Change the outcome of those games. I think we will be better, however I don't think we will be Pittsburgh Steelers, steel curtain, type defense. I hope I am wrong. We will go as far this year is our defense Takes us. In order for us to be the team we all want our defense must improve beyween the 20s and stop the other team and get off the field more on third down

So turnovers are luck and some are skill. Most of ours were skill last year. See https://gtswarm.com/threads/turnovers-why-we-were-so-good-in-2014.6150/

We have question marks on both sides of the ball, for sure, but I'm excited to see how those questions get answered. ........

Three sided metaphorical ball. I think we have few questions on ST, some on O and more on D. Mostly on D because the performance hasn't been there. It should be better. But like @Skeptic , I'll believe it when I see it. We should be better on D but we haven't shown **** on the field. Most teams expect to do better than they do every year.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I know I said it pre last year, during first 3rd last year and continue to say it. This D will be fine provided we still call the schemes aggressive like we started doing second half last year. It will not be ok if we don't. The personnel we have, plays to a more aggressive set of calls. Some personnel, like Bama, can do what they do because they can out-athlete every other team one on one, they don't need scheme to make mismatches or take chances to create disruption. At a school like tech, we need to create mismatches with scheme and talk calculated chances to create disruption. Sure you can give up a big play...but we are doing that anyway...so you might as well add the disruption component.

To me Tenuta proved this. And second half last year began to validate. Groh proved you can't be Bama at tech, and first half last year kinda did too; where you lay off a bit and try to win individual matchups one on one and keep them in front of you mindset.

If we just simply rush 4, play quarters or 3 deep, or lol, rush 3 and do that...it will be long games....We need to combo blitz, bring cats, zone dog blah blah blah...
CTR knows what he is doing and he'll get the most out of what he has just like he did last year. He's forgotten more defensive scheme than we all know.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

I expect a much improved defense this year, but one thing keeps gnawing at me, the Spring Game. We all expected the first string O, with all it's missing linemen, to struggle against the first string D. It was quite the opposite. The offense marched through the defense like Sherman through Georgia. We pleasantly discovered we have a Bback in Marcus Allen and the Abacks and wr's didn't look too shabby, either. In fact, the only thing that stopped the first team O was the no-contact rule on JT. Maybe our O is just that good.... maybe it's something else.....