How Much Longer Will Paul Johnson Coach?

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone can operate this O like CPJ. Hiring someone, when the time comes, just based on that would be foolish.

There are 3 equal, on the field, parts to the game. And a guy named Wooden said D wins championships

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I don't think anyone can operate this O like CPJ. Hiring someone, when the time comes, just based on that would be foolish.

There are 3 equal, on the field, parts to the game. And a guy named Wooden said D wins championships

I am certainly sympathetic to "D wins championships."

I am persuaded that coaches are a bigger deal at the collegiate level than is often admitted, on both O and D. That being said, I don't think scheme is inconsequential. For example, I think that you have to be a better OC if you're using the same scheme as 80% of what opposition will see.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see GT hire Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun if Paul Johnson decides to hang it up in the next 5 years.
Aside from the fact that he runs the same offense, just curious, why? He hasn't won a single Mountain West title and AFA has been a fairly low-tier bowl team his whole time. Here, he would be a consistent 3-5/4-4/5-3. I'm ready to consistently finish Top 2/3 in the Coastal, win an ACC title, and make a Playoff. If that means changing to a more traditional college offense (which obviously incorporates a lot of what our current offense does with the read option), I'm ready to cross that bridge whenever Stansbury is.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Aside from the fact that he runs the same offense, just curious, why? He hasn't won a single Mountain West title and AFA has been a fairly low-tier bowl team his whole time. Here, he would be a consistent 3-5/4-4/5-3. I'm ready to consistently finish Top 2/3 in the Coastal, win an ACC title, and make a Playoff. If that means changing to a more traditional college offense (which obviously incorporates a lot of what our current offense does with the read option), I'm ready to cross that bridge whenever Stansbury is.

Can you name a team that has moved from the flexbone to another offense and did as well on offense within 2 or 3 years?

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Can you name a team that has moved from the flexbone to another offense and did as well on offense within 2 or 3 years?
Outside my scope of knowledge to be honest but the problems a team would encounter in that scenario make logical sense.

Are we going to run the Flexbone forever? Gonna eventually have to rip the bandaid off. Maybe we could wait until PJ recruits a competent throwing quarterback or hire someone who will run a read option heavy, west-coast style offense to transition us out.

I hope he coaches as long as he is able. I like him and what he brought to GT. I'm terribly afraid that we will have 3 to 4 years of rebuilding after he leaves. It is unlikely his replacement will run the same offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whether CPJ coaches two more or ten more years is a interesting topic. But we are ignoring the rather large elephant in the room. Is football going to survive another ten years? Aside from the growing awareness of the health issues and possible financial liabilities, there is an unfortunate cultural stigma attaching itself to the sport. It isn't a groundswell yet, but fewer kids are playing, fewer parents are allowing their kids to play, there are isolated instances of high schools dropping football. I feel there is a strong possibility, especially if more injury information is discovered, that we will see big time football go the way of the dinosaurs.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Jeepers - how many teams run this O to start with? And you want to know how many have switched?

Might better look at number of teams that once ran wishbone and changed ( GT, bama, Texas, aTm, auburn, Oklahoma, who knows how many). I am not equating the 2 O, but rather the difficulty or lack thereof in change.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
By the time the season starts CPJ will be 60. With the recent uptick in recruiting I'm going to be optimistic and say we average 9 wins for the reset of his time here. If he can do that and contend for some ACC titles along the way, how much longer do you all think he stays on The Flats? I'll give him at least 5 to 8 more seasons.
I would guess 5 years, as far as a replacement i would look to Niamatololo or the current HC at Coastal Carolina.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I would like to add to my last comment on page 1. Although I have no idea how long he would coach, selfishly I would want him to coach for a very long time, but not as long as Bowden and Paterno. Those two had no idea that they needed to leave the game much earlier.

As odd as it may sound, my reasons for wanting CPJ to hang around have more to do with the type men he is building, more so than his W-L record. He has been, and will continue to be very successful on the gridiron, but we have enjoyed unparalleled success during his time graduating players and just simply putting well adjusted and productive adults into the world. Our society has turned completely upside-down in so many ways and CPJ is the antidote in our little section of it. He holds kids truly accountable and tells it like it is. When football players leave TECH, whether they were forced to go to class or did so on their own accord, they will have improved their minds AND their characters while they were here. One only has to go meet these young men to see how well we are doing in this area. I take great pride that I never have to worry about how our players behave or what they will do with the rest of their lives. Most importantly, CPJ will have obliterated any preconceived notion in their minds that the world somehow revolves around them and probably did so in their first few weeks in his presence. It seems to me, that if a young man has hopes to make something of himself in this world, the first thing that has to go is any remaining sense of entitlement that our society is so adept at placing there. At the same time, CPJ has shown time and time again that, despite a thorny exterior in public forums, he is a man of his word and great compassion when a youngster truly deserves it.

We can't afford to have CPJ walk away because he means so much. When he does decide to move on, I hope TS is still here to make the hire and he is lucky enough to find somebody who can take the torch. It will be a tall order indeed.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Outside my scope of knowledge to be honest but the problems a team would encounter in that scenario make logical sense.

Are we going to run the Flexbone forever? Gonna eventually have to rip the bandaid off. Maybe we could wait until PJ recruits a competent throwing quarterback or hire someone who will run a read option heavy, west-coast style offense to transition us out.
Air Force has run an option offense since 1981 and will probably be running it forever and I could see GT doing pretty much the same thing because of the difficulties of recruiting at a school that is very difficult to get into.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Air Force has run an option offense since 1981 and will probably be running it forever and I could see GT doing pretty much the same thing because of the difficulties of recruiting at a school that is very difficult to get into.

Kids do not have to be smarter to run our O.

Perhaps coaches have to be better recruiters (and fans give more $) to run a different O?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Kids do not have to be smarter to run our O.

Perhaps coaches have to be better recruiters (and fans give more $) to run a different O?
I'm saying it's harder at GT to get the big time high school players because it's difficult to get into Georgia Tech. It's easier to run and option offense at GT because they can't get into school the same kind of talented skill players like Clemson,Tennessee and UGAG can.