How Much Longer Will Paul Johnson Coach?

Em_Jae20

Helluva Engineer
By the time the season starts CPJ will be 60. With the recent uptick in recruiting I'm going to be optimistic and say we average 9 wins for the reset of his time here. If he can do that and contend for some ACC titles along the way, how much longer do you all think he stays on The Flats? I'll give him at least 5 to 8 more seasons.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Great question and I have no idea. He has said many times he doesn't want to be coaching into his old age. Although I don't know him personally, he seems to be the kind of guy that is sustained by his competitive nature. What would he do with a sudden absence of a competitive component to his life? Would golf be enough?

When I think about my own life, I love the time I spend coaching and the outlet it provides for me in that sense. However, at my level, I get to walk away from it for 8-9 months per year and pursue other passions which are equally important to me. CFB coaching doesn't really allow for that. It is an all consuming, unforgiving, and unrelenting profession.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I hope he coaches as long as he is able. I like him and what he brought to GT. I'm terribly afraid that we will have 3 to 4 years of rebuilding after he leaves. It is unlikely his replacement will run the same offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Hope he stays for another decade. With that said, I thought Bill Curry and Bobby Ross would retire here.
I did not think Bobby Ross would be at Tech more than 5 or 6 years looking at his track record and knowing he wanted to coach in the NFL. Bill Curry I thought he would be here as long as he wanted. ( guess you could say he did but I thought that was a big mistake to go to Alabama. )

As long as CPJ enjoys coaching and if he stays healthy I hope he stays.

One thing you have to watch as a coach gets a little older some get a little soft. But as long as you see this face you know he will be fine.
upload_2017-6-30_10-56-38.png

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ knows he's got more talent now and coming through the depth chart than he has since he's been at GT. Even with the uneven talent, he was till able to manage 3 ACCCGs and 2 OBs. You gotta think he's not going anywhere anytime soon knowing he's got a lot of talent to finally play with.

GTL

Jolly Good Fellow
I think CPJ knows he's got more talent now and coming through the depth chart than he has since he's been at GT. Even with the uneven talent, he was till able to manage 3 ACCCGs and 2 OBs. You gotta think he's not going anywhere anytime soon knowing he's got a lot of talent to finally play with.
Yeah, I agree. He's starting to get on a roll and will want to see it through. I think he really believes he can win a championship. Personally, I think it'll be 4-5 years. Now if that championship happens in year 5, he'll hang around for a another year or two and if it doesn't happen by year 4, he'll probably hang it up, unless he has a loaded team coming back.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, I agree. He's starting to get on a roll and will want to see it through. I think he really believes he can win a championship. Personally, I think it'll be 4-5 years. Now if that championship happens in year 5, he'll hang around for a another year or two and if it doesn't happen by year 4, he'll probably hang it up, unless he has a loaded team coming back.
Wait..... if he wins it in year 5 he will stay another year or two but if he doesn't win it by year 4 he will leave? How's he going to win it in year 5 if he leaves after year 4 from not winning it all lol? Just messing with you.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck

I agree. The talent and depth are moving in the right direction. Last year, in the 4th qtr against uga, we were the attacking team. They were where we were for most of the last 50 years: trying desperately to hang onto a lead and hoping for the clock to save them. They were pretty much manhandled in the second half of our game in 2014, too. For too long at this time of year, we would be hoping some true freshmen could come in and add some depth on the two deep or actually fill a position. It takes a special talent like Mills to do that now. I think that for the next few years, any team that beats us will have had a full 60 minute fight on its hands. They won't wear us down like uga did in 2013.

I now believe that I will get to relive the 1950's and 1989-1990 in the near future. That the chemistry, coaching, and talent will align. That Georgia Tech is going to take it's small stadium, it's belief in actually educating athletes the same as other students, it's 3* recruits, it's limited fan base, it's nerdy alumni, and beat the hell out of anybody it faces off with. We might beat ourselves, but we will be the only ones to do it. My biggest concern is whether or not I can physically survive the ascent and not pass on before the peak is reached.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
When the time comes, there'll probably be several guys from the CPJ coaching tree out there for Tech to consider, if so inclined. Also, an option-oriented coach not of the CPJ coaching tree, Brent Thompson at The Citadel, is one to keep an eye on over the next few years; the guy is successful. As OC at Div. 2 Lenoir-Rhyne from 2010-2013, his offenses piled up yardage and points; likewise as OC at The Citadel in 2014 and 2015. And last year as HC, The Citadel went 10-2, ranking 9th in the final FCS poll.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'm not sure if Niumatalolo would come coach at tech.

I definitely think that if at all possible we want someone who is going to run the spread option like PJ does. It definitely gives us a competitive advantage and keeps us in games we wouldn't normally be in.
Coach N isn't leaving Navy. If he didn't leave for BYU, he's not leaving for GT. Ivin Jasper (navy's OC) is a much better bet. He'll be a head coach somewhere someday, it's just a matter of where, and when.