How Much Longer Will Paul Johnson Coach?

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
I was there at the practice PJ turned 40. Now I feel old.
He is one competitive dude. As long he still enjoys competing, I think he'll keep coaching.

If we were to pluck from the PJ tree for a replacement, Monken might come back. He has Georgia (the state, not the school) ties and connections, so he would have ins at a lot of high schools around the state.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
By the time the season starts CPJ will be 60. With the recent uptick in recruiting I'm going to be optimistic and say we average 9 wins for the reset of his time here. If he can do that and contend for some ACC titles along the way, how much longer do you all think he stays on The Flats? I'll give him at least 5 to 8 more seasons.
Not long enough.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Coach N isn't leaving Navy. If he didn't leave for BYU, he's not leaving for GT. Ivin Jasper (navy's OC) is a much better bet. He'll be a head coach somewhere someday, it's just a matter of where, and when.
Johnson is not going anywhere, or to another job anyway, though it is possible that one morning he awakes and finds the fire is flickering a bit. If that happens then all bets are off. He is just not the hanging-around type. So: forget Navy and Jasper. What Monken has done at a down-and-out program at Army is nothing short of a miracle, and frankly GT is one of a very small handful of majors that would run his offense. It would be a natural progression, and from GT and GSU, he knows the territory. If it's all the same, I vote for Johnson.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Candeto is a guy, if learning more under CPJ for 4-6 more years could possibly be a guy up for the job when CPJ is gone. He's been a head coach before and his offense was successful on the D 3 level. Plus he's a young guy, who if did well could be around for a very long time. At the least maybe stay around as an offensive coordinator. I could see Roof getting the job as well if he stays around until CPJ is gone.

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
By the time the season starts CPJ will be 60. With the recent uptick in recruiting I'm going to be optimistic and say we average 9 wins for the reset of his time here. If he can do that and contend for some ACC titles along the way, how much longer do you all think he stays on The Flats? I'll give him at least 5 to 8 more seasons.

Speaking as someone who just retired at 62 after 31 years teaching in public school I would say everyone is different. One day, it may be soon or it may be much later, he will wake up and decide it is time to move on. It is different for everyone. What I do not want to see happen is a protracted death watch scenario as seen with Coaches Paterno and Bowden. The saddest thing in the world is when everyone knows it is time to go but you. Like Willie Mays in his last year, you become an object of ridicule and/or clucking sympathies that only veil the contempt. Much better to go out with grace and dignity knowing you did your best and let it go. At least that has been my experience thus far.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Speaking as someone who just retired at 62 after 31 years teaching in public school I would say everyone is different. One day, it may be soon or it may be much later, he will wake up and decide it is time to move on. It is different for everyone. What I do not want to see happen is a protracted death watch scenario as seen with Coaches Paterno and Bowden. The saddest thing in the world is when everyone knows it is time to go but you. Like Willie Mays in his last year, you become an object of ridicule and/or clucking sympathies that only veil the contempt. Much better to go out with grace and dignity knowing you did your best and let it go. At least that has been my experience thus far.
This. Bowden's finish was particularly distressing, maybe because he came across as such a good guy.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
this is a @DrJacket question though I suspect he won't say much more than has already been said.
I do have some thoughts, and there's so much I'd like to say.

But, it's simply his question to answer one day when the time comes. I am gratified to see so many of you hope that that time comes a long, long way down the line. I do know that you are on target with one critical dimension-- he's easily the single toughest competitor I've ever been around.

And, I don't sense one ounce less of that right now than ever.

CrackerJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm thinkin' CPJ will be around for 3 or 4 more years at the most. Coaching at the D-1 level has gotten so stressful over the past few years, and when any guy hits ~60, the "W" word, as in, "Why do I keep doing this?", starts to creep into his thoughts.

Not sayin' I want him to leave - I just think the job'll wear down even a tough old bird like CPJ.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is currently at 70 wins and has four years left on his current contract. If we average 8 wins the next 4 fours that will put him at 102 and even with Heisman, 33 behind Alexander, and 63 behind Dodd. I don't think coaching records will keep him coaching but if he extends past this current contract he should past Heisman and maybe Alexander. Dodd will be hard to past. He will have to coach until somewhere around 2030. Just for info Beamer coached until 70.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
CPJ is currently at 70 wins and has four years left on his current contract. If we average 8 wins the next 4 fours that will put him at 102 and even with Heisman, 33 behind Alexander, and 63 behind Dodd. I don't think coaching records will keep him coaching but if he extends past this current contract he should past Heisman and maybe Alexander. Dodd will be hard to past. He will have to coach until somewhere around 2030. Just for info Beamer coached until 70.
If he coaches through his age 70, I believe he will pass Dodd.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Not to be mean, but Beamer worked until he was 70. He coached until he was 67. Which oddly is a reason for folding the tent.

Personally, I'd like to see him coach as long as he could or wanted to... But almost as important, I truly hope that, when the time comes, we remain in the CPJ coaching tree... I love the option offense, and I think it gives us a real advantage over anything else we might run...
I think 2020 is his target year. Let the man leave on his own terms, and don't become a Bill Snyder or Bobby Bowden. That said, Gators down here are whispering "Bring back Steve Superior",

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I think 2020 is his target year. Let the man leave on his own terms, and don't become a Bill Snyder or Bobby Bowden. That said, Gators down here are whispering "Bring back Steve Superior",
There's no way in hell that the old ball coach will leave the golf course to coach Florida. I think he would rather be golfing than talking to football recruits and parents.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
Operating on the assumptions that PJ retires when he wants, and that Tech will want to retain an option-oriented offense -- here's someone to keep an eye on is a coach outside the Johnson coaching tree: Brent Thompson, now in his second year as HC at The Citadel. He operates a run-heavy, option-oriented offense, typically either out of the classic double-slot flexbone or out of a "T-bone" (imagine halfbacks rather than slotbacks, and with WRs instead of TEs as in a classic T formation). As an OC, Thompson's offenses were successful and piled up yardage at Div. 2 Lenoir-Rhyne from 2011-2013 and then at The Citadel in 2014-2015, and nothing changed last year as Thompson was bumped up to HC (after JMU snagged Mike Houston as HC from The Citadel).

No telling what will unfold in the next few years, but if Thompson continues to either do well at The Citadel, or gets picked up by some struggling FBS program with the uncommon good sense to "get a guy who runs an offense like the academies and Georgia Tech do" and continues to have some success, well -- just keep an eye on Thompson over the next few years.

http://citadelsports.com/staff.aspx?staff=5

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Operating on the assumptions that PJ retires when he wants, and that Tech will want to retain an option-oriented offense -- here's someone to keep an eye on is a coach outside the Johnson coaching tree: Brent Thompson, now in his second year as HC at The Citadel. He operates a run-heavy, option-oriented offense, typically either out of the classic double-slot flexbone or out of a "T-bone" (imagine halfbacks rather than slotbacks, and with WRs instead of TEs as in a classic T formation). As an OC, Thompson's offenses were successful and piled up yardage at Div. 2 Lenoir-Rhyne from 2011-2013 and then at The Citadel in 2014-2015, and nothing changed last year as Thompson was bumped up to HC (after JMU snagged Mike Houston as HC from The Citadel).

No telling what will unfold in the next few years, but if Thompson continues to either do well at The Citadel, or gets picked up by some struggling FBS program with the uncommon good sense to "get a guy who runs an offense like the academies and Georgia Tech do" and continues to have some success, well -- just keep an eye on Thompson over the next few years.

http://citadelsports.com/staff.aspx?staff=5
I would like to see GT hire Air Force head coach Troy Calhoun if Paul Johnson decides to hang it up in the next 5 years.