How much can Santucci Improve the GT Defense?

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
Below is a nice article concerning GT's new Defensive Coordinator. Tech was near the bottom of all P4 Teams last year in terms of defensive statistics. Can Santucci improve our defense enough to get off the field and help the offense? Based on the article he seems like a good teacher. I believe we will make a significant jump in performance this season!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Below is a nice article concerning GT's new Defensive Coordinator. Tech was near the bottom of all P4 Teams last year in terms of defensive statistics. Can Santucci improve our defense enough to get off the field and help the offense? Based on the article he seems like a good teacher. I believe we will make a significant jump in performance this season!

In last 5 or 6 years the defensive position groups seemed to play in an uncoordinated way. CB releasing wr over middle and no safety, ML and DT in same gap during a blitz, etc.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
my hot take is by the end of the season, it could be a bad defense and that would still be a huge improvement. It is hard to set the bar any lower.

But I am a glass half full. I think we end up around a top 50 defense, combined with our offense we should be ranked at some point in the season

We will be talked about as a very dangerous team. Not one to overlook

Tech Lawyer

Jolly Good Fellow
In the first game against FSU, there is a simple plan. STOP the RUN. Make DJ and a group of untested receivers beat you. ( They will take deep shots.) Based on what FSU looked like in their Spring game, our interior guys should really get some push on runs and passes. In fact, I think the story of the game will be our DEFENSE!! Also, their RT is suspect, particularly on pass protection. Against UGA. it's getting Carson Beck off his spot. The Dawgs run game won't be as good as it usually is - at least in my opinion?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Heard he's gonna build the D this year around #44.

In other words, it's gonna be an Efford Based Defense....

I'll see myself out now.

Judge Ok GIF by truTV’s Those Who Can’t

wesgt123

Helluva Engineer
In the first game against FSU, there is a simple plan. STOP the RUN. Make DJ and a group of untested receivers beat you. ( They will take deep shots.) Based on what FSU looked like in their Spring game, our interior guys should really get some push on runs and passes. In fact, I think the story of the game will be our DEFENSE!! Also, their RT is suspect, particularly on pass protection. Against UGA. it's getting Carson Beck off his spot. The Dawgs run game won't be as good as it usually is - at least in my opinion?
They have Etienne who is strong and fast (especially in his car)

But piss on em

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've been thinking a lot about this the last couple weeks. I feel cautiously optimistic about the offense. I think the defense is going to be the difference between a solid year and a disappointing one. I want to believe the D can be much better. But I'm just not sure it's realistic for a quick turnaround.

The big problem is personnel. We needed to keep our best returning players and add from the portal/recruiting. We lost three of our best playmakers up front in Kennard, Douse and Kelly. We added from the portal. But numbers-wise just to replace those guys. I'm not sure we got any clear upgrades.

I feel ok about DT/NT. I like the pickups of Gore and van den Berg a lot. Biggers and Lockett have size and could break out for us. But I don't know that we have any playmakers here who are going to generate pressure or sacks. DE is going to be a problem. IMHO, we're going to really miss Kennard. We have no proven players and we're thin on numbers. We were bad at DE last year. I don't see the pieces in place for quick improvement. But there's always the chance of someone(s) breaking out in a big way. Harris looked good at times last year, but didn't generate TFLs or sacks. Height and Sylvain have ability, but need to progress and stay healthy. Could get help here from Jacob Cruz (listed at LB, but has DE size now) and Makius Scott (played as a big DE some last year and we're deeper at DT.)

At LB, Efford should be solid. We have a lot of bodies and young talent for 2 LB spots. But we need the next stars to emerge beside him. If Tren Tatum can put it together, we could have a solid duo. But he struggled last year. DB, could be the strength of the D. We lost a few playmakers. But we have a lot of versatile players and some experience. But we lost some starters and we need the next group to mature.

Coaching is a toss up. Santucci did good things at Duke, but was it him or Elko? I think he's probably an upgrade from Thacker/Sherrer. But Thacker's defenses were good in spurts (and terrible at other times.) Was it him? Was it the HC? Was it personnel? How much of an difference can Santucci really make by himself? We were in the 100s in DFEI under TFG. We were 38th in DFEI in 2022. (Why Thack, temporarily, kept his job.) Fell to 77th last year. The assistants are a complete toss up. Do they make a difference, good or bad? Do they not jive with some of our key players? Our upperclassmen have seen a lot of coaching turnover. Transitions are always difficult. There's going to be mistakes and growing pains from implementing a new system. We haven't had a lot of consistency. Long term, I think we are better situated with our staff. But is the change/transition a net benefit or detriment for this year? I'm not sure.

I can imagine a scenario where we leap back to the mid-30s in DFEI (Which, we were there in 2022, so it's not like we don't have the potential.) But that requires a lot to go right. Our margin for error is thin. Looks something like: Biggers and Lockett (both lost weight) have breakout years inside. Gore and van den Berg are good in rotation. Sylvain finally puts it all together. Height is a great pickup. A combination of Jacob Cruz (LB/DE) and Makius Scott (DT/DE) help fill the gaps at DE. Efford and Tatum are the second coming of Eley and Thomas. We find playmakers in the secondary. Santucci and the new assistants makes as big a difference as Buster and crew did for the Offense. Santucci fits his scheme to our players and presses the right buttons in playcalls. We stay healthy. The defense is solid enough to help the offense win games.

But more so, I see a scenario where the DTs are just ok. The DEs are a big weakness. We can't generate a pass rush or consistently stop the run. Efford is on an island. We don't have a solid #2 at LB and he's constantly trying to clean up for the front. The DBs are ok, but opposing QBs have all day to throw and they are under a lot of pressure. We see some progress as the year goes, but there's mistakes and busts from learning the new system. Santucci calls the right plays, but we can't consistently execute. Plus, we face a lot of really good offenses. Any key injuries (which will likely happen) and we'll be in trouble. The results are about the same as they have been.

Last edited:

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I've been thinking a lot about this the last couple weeks. I feel cautiously optimistic about the offense. I think the defense is going to be the difference between a solid year and a disappointing one. I want to believe the D can be much better. But I'm just not sure it's realistic for a quick turnaround.

The big problem is personnel. We needed to keep our best returning players and add from the portal/recruiting. We lost three of our best playmakers up front in Kennard, Douse and Kelly. We added from the portal. But numbers-wise just to replace those guys. I'm not sure we got any clear upgrades.

I feel ok about DT/NT. I like the pickups of Gore and van den Berg a lot. Biggers and Lockett have size and could break out for us. But I don't know that we have any playmakers here who are going to generate pressure or sacks. DE is going to be a problem. IMHO, we're going to really miss Kennard. We have no proven players and we're thin on numbers. We were bad at DE last year. I don't see the pieces in place for quick improvement. But there's always the chance of someone(s) breaking out in a big way. Harris looked good at times last year, but didn't generate TFLs or sacks. Height and Sylvain have ability, but need to progress and stay healthy. Could get help here from Jacob Cruz (listed at LB, but has DE size now) and Makius Scott (played as a big DE some last year and we're deeper at DT.)

At LB, Efford should be solid. We have a lot of bodies and young talent for 2 LB spots. But we need the next stars to emerge beside him. If Tren Tatum can put it together, we could have a solid duo. But he struggled last year. DB, could be the strength of the D. We lost a few playmakers. But we have a lot of versatile players and some experience. But we lost some starters and we need the next group to mature.

Coaching is a toss up. Santucci did good things at Duke, but was it him or Elko? I think he's probably an upgrade from Thacker/Sherrer. But Thacker's defenses were good in spurts (and terrible at other times.) Was it him? Was it the HC? Was it personnel? How much of an difference can Santucci really make by himself? We were in the 100s in DFEI under TFG. We were 38th in DFEI in 2022. (Why Thack, temporarily, kept his job.) Fell to 77th last year. The assistants are a complete toss up. Do they make a difference, good or bad? Do they not jive with some of our key players? Our upperclassmen have seen a lot of coaching turnover. Transitions are always difficult. There's going to be mistakes and growing pains from implementing a new system. We haven't had a lot of consistency. Long term, I think we are better situated with our staff. But is the change/transition a net benefit or detriment for this year? I'm not sure.

I can imagine a scenario where we leap back to the mid-30s in DFEI (Which, we were there in 2022, so it's not like we don't have the potential.) But that requires a lot to go right. Our margin for error is thin. Looks something like: Biggers and Lockett (both lost weight) have breakout years inside. Gore and van den Berg are good in rotation. Sylvain finally puts it all together. Height is a great pickup. A combination of Jacob Cruz (LB/DE) and Makius Scott (DT/DE) help fill the gaps at DE. Efford and Tatum are the second coming of Eley and Thomas. We find playmakers in the secondary. Santucci and the new assistants makes as big a difference as Buster and crew did for the Offense. Santucci fits his scheme to our players and presses the right buttons in playcalls. We stay healthy. The defense is solid enough to help the offense win games.

But more so, I see a scenario where the DTs are just ok. The DEs are a big weakness. We can't generate a pass rush or consistently stop the run. Efford is on an island. We don't have a solid #2 at LB and he's constantly trying to clean up for the front. The DBs are ok, but opposing QBs have all day to throw and they are under a lot of pressure. We see some progress as the year goes, but there's mistakes and busts from learning the new system. Santucci calls the right plays, but we can't consistently execute. Plus, we face a lot of really good offenses. Any key injuries (which will likely happen) and we'll be in trouble. The results are about the same as they have been.
Good post. Agree 100% biggest concern of the year was losing Kennard, Douse, Kelly. Not sure we have the numbers on the DL needed for the grind of a schedule. I will say the pickup of Romello Height is big. He will need to be our defensive MVP this year for us to see the improvement we desire, as he is likely our sole source of a decent pass rush.

The margin of error is extremely thin, which is what makes this so unpredictable (and exciting). We really can be a top 30 DFEI team, but could also just as easily be 70s with a couple injuries and disappointing development.

We were horrid at stopping the run last year, and that really needs improvement, but overall I think our defensive fate will be determined by how well we rush the passer. That is what I will be focusing on week 0 and should be a good indicator of how we do rest of the year.

mtodd30

Ramblin' Wreck

Solid breakdown, but don’t forget Romello Height and our two transfers at LB. They have a chance to be our X factor on Def

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow
I pulled the defensive stats below from the Phil Steele Magazine. I show the Total DEFENSIVE YARDS ALLOWED for the last 3 years for some of GT's toughest challengers for 2024.

Year-------GT-------FSU------ND-----UGA------NCS------Miami----Louisville------VT
2023------437------332------276------289-------332-------322--------317---------317
2022------402------322------329------297-------327-------377--------330---------371
2021------455------378------360------269-------332-------390--------403---------390

A couple of things stood out when I looked at these numbers. GT has a significant amount of work to do in order to caught up with these 7 teams. However, 4 of these teams have made significant improvement over the past year or two........FSU, Miami, Louisville, and VT. Hopefully, we can make a similar improvement over this year and next.

I didn't include UNC above as they have not gotten below 400 yards allowed for the last 4 years. We all obviously hope that doesn't change this Year!!

I am old and I am pretty Old School. I still believe Defense wins Ball games. My favorite GT games were the 1962 Alabama game (7-6) and the 1966 Tenn. game (6-3).

I know this is a new era and you have to have both good Offense and a good Defense. I feel that our 1990 team exemplifies that fact.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I have been to 4 Duke games in 2022 and 2023. The thing that stood out to me for their defense was that the secondary tackled well in space. Usually isolated one on one. They also had very few big play breakdowns. I would not think their personnel is much different than ours based on recruiting. I think Elko instilled a belief in the players that they could win more than his x's and o's, but he is a defensive minded coach. They also had a very good QB who could move the offense. He's now at ND.