How much can Santucci Improve the GT Defense?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Taking a purely data approach, you can look at what good coaching did to Duke from 2021 - 2023. Duke's defensive FEI performance improvement was impressive. They went from 113 -> 62 -> 27.

Georgia Tech was 77th in DFEI last year, but we faced the 24th hardest slate of offensive competitors. To answer the OP's question, it feels like good coaching could get us into the 40ish range (from 77 last year). Looking at what 40 vs. 77 means, it's about a 30% improvement in drives that end in a TD / FG Attempt. We gave up 30.9 PPG last year on defense, so a 30% improvement drops that to ~21 PPG.

Carrying that forward, If you think we can maintain a rank of 30 in OFEI and move to ~40 in DFEI, that puts us in the Top 25-30 programs. Range of wins is 7-9. The best team last year with a DFEI > 40 was Oregon State - they were ranked 16th overall due to their offense being ranked 11th. It should be noted that they ended up 8-5.

Lots of numbers here, but I did identify a rule of thumb. Group the final standings into 10's - Top 10, Top 20, Top 30, etc. What is the range of OFEI+DFEI rank that gets you in to those rankings?

To get into the Top "X" / You need a combined OFEI+DFEI Rank of:
Top 10 / 0 - 30
Top 20 / 25 - 60
Top 30 / 50 - 80
Top 40 / 70 - 90
Top 50 / 80 - 110
So much is dependent on how well the DL plays. The DL play, less Kenon White has been terrible for a good number of years. Virtually no pressure on opposing QBs most games and very ineffective stopping the run. Hopefully coaching will help the players improve individually and have better schemes to use improved player skill. This year will be a big tell as to coaching vs talent on the DL!

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, I loved what I read in this article.

Part of it, though, involved the hairs on the back of my neck standing out when I thought of Al Groh - another coach who was basically an encyclopedia of defensive strategies, but who couldn't effectively convey that to his team in a way they could implement. The vibe I get from Jess Simpson, however, is that he not only has the know-how as far as DL strategies - but he also knows how to communicate it in a way that's digestible and presents a clear pathway to implementation.

If that's the case, then we have a potentially exciting defensive front on our hands.
Coach Simpson spent 20 years coaching high school football. His record indicates he knows how to teach defense to young guys.
He and Coach Santucci came together from Duke so they must think they work well together.

“Simpson was one of the most successful coaches in Georgia high school football history, compiling a 164-12 (.932) record, winning seven state championships and appearing in 10-straight state title games in 12 seasons as the head coach at Buford H.S. (2005-16).”

Southern psu fan

Jolly Good Fellow
Below is a nice article concerning GT's new Defensive Coordinator. Tech was near the bottom of all P4 Teams last year in terms of defensive statistics. Can Santucci improve our defense enough to get off the field and help the offense? Based on the article he seems like a good teacher. I believe we will make a significant jump in performance this season!

Getting a few stud defensive linemen in the transfer portal will be a huge step forward.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
Coach Simpson spent 20 years coaching high school football. His record indicates he knows how to teach defense to young guys.
He and Coach Santucci came together from Duke so they must think they work well together.

“Simpson was one of the most successful coaches in Georgia high school football history, compiling a 164-12 (.932) record, winning seven state championships and appearing in 10-straight state title games in 12 seasons as the head coach at Buford H.S. (2005-16).”
Great points. Now pardon me while I go sit somewhere and try not to be *too* optimistic… 😁

AugustaSwarm

Ramblin' Wreck

When I saw that Key was bringing Simpson onboard, I was thrilled. Remember, Simpson was hired before Santucci...

Jess Simpson is a living legend in Ga HS Football. Not only does he "get it" from a coaching standpoint, but he also commands respect from HS coaches all over this state. If Jess Simpson shows up to a HS, people jump into place. He will do more for GT Football with getting doors opened than we'll ever know.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
When I saw that Key was bringing Simpson onboard, I was thrilled. Remember, Simpson was hired before Santucci...

Jess Simpson is a living legend in Ga HS Football. Not only does he "get it" from a coaching standpoint, but he also commands respect from HS coaches all over this state. If Jess Simpson shows up to a HS, people jump into place. He will do more for GT Football with getting doors opened than we'll ever know.
I must also say that there may still be some ruffled feathers among some coaches in some quarters about how BHS “did things” during those years. Overall, though, yes, he’s a legend and will open many, many doors for GA Tech.

Fatmike91

Helluva Engineer
I love our offense, but not with this schedule. Too many teams facing significantly easier schedules against which to stat pad. UNC had a 1st round QB and their usual cupcake schedule last year.

I'm talking offensive efficiency. NOT total offense. Our schedule (and their cupcakes) get adjusted out.

/

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I love our offense, but not with this schedule. Too many teams facing significantly easier schedules against which to stat pad. UNC had a 1st round QB and their usual cupcake schedule last year.
Vt faces 2 teams from upper half of acc plus gt in the middle. We need to beat Vt at blacksburg.
Got to erase,100-0, not by % in stats.
Its a big game following ND( which is supposed to have good D). We,can maul the strong quick but smaller vt defense
Go jackets

Last edited:

LT 1967

Jolly Good Fellow

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Pretty easy. We have not been sound at the fundamentals. Whether that’s taking on blocks, beating a block, tackling, alignment and assignment.

The CPJ years, you got scout teams not giving the best look bc of what they were asked to do in the scheme. Imagine being a pass rusher and the only time you see a legitimate kick slide is on Saturdays? That’s a tough ask

With Collins, it was a lot of trying to make guys fit his scheme and not vice versa. Add on being poor communicators and you get a bunch of chickens running with their head cut off

Turn on the Duke film and the first thing you see is guys flying to the ball and in position to make plays . Seeing Santucci do it with guys that were 3 stars or lightly recruited makes me feel confident believing we can see big turnaround this upcoming season

🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️🤷🏾‍♂️

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
One thing i noticed today, I don't think we were out of position once. Sure some of the blitz's didn't get home . Outside leverage on the inside route has a slant ran on it that beats it etc but we looked like we know what we are trying to do. Our run fits were much better all of their runs that they broke were due to missed tackles or contact that just didn't get the guy down not not being in the hole.

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck

How much can Santucci Improve the GT Defense?​

IMG_5388.gif

slugboy

Staff member
One thing i noticed today, I don't think we were out of position once. Sure some of the blitz's didn't get home . Outside leverage on the inside route has a slant ran on it that beats it etc but we looked like we know what we are trying to do. Our run fits were much better all of their runs that they broke were due to missed tackles or contact that just didn't get the guy down not not being in the hole.
I saw Efford run left, miss the hole, jump back right, fill the hole, and make a short yardage tackle.