How much can Santucci Improve the GT Defense?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I pulled the defensive stats below from the Phil Steele Magazine. I show the Total DEFENSIVE YARDS ALLOWED for the last 3 years for some of GT's toughest challengers for 2024.

Year-------GT-------FSU------ND-----UGA------NCS------Miami----Louisville------VT
2023------437------332------276------289-------332-------322--------317---------317
2022------402------322------329------297-------327-------377--------330---------371
2021------455------378------360------269-------332-------390--------403---------390

A couple of things stood out when I looked at these numbers. GT has a significant amount of work to do in order to caught up with these 7 teams. However, 4 of these teams have made significant improvement over the past year or two........FSU, Miami, Louisville, and VT. Hopefully, we can make a similar improvement over this year and next.

I didn't include UNC above as they have not gotten below 400 yards allowed for the last 4 years. We all obviously hope that doesn't change this Year!!

I am old and I am pretty Old School. I still believe Defense wins Ball games. My favorite GT games were the 1962 Alabama game (7-6) and the 1966 Tenn. game (6-3).

I know this is a new era and you have to have both good Offense and a good Defense. I feel that our 1990 team exemplifies that fact.
Trends in total yards by year can certainly indicate program improvement (or lack of). And I agree with your conclusions in general. However, comparing total yards between different programs can lead to misleading conclusions due to large differences in SoS. GT typically has one of the toughest SoSs among those teams.

Advanced stats like DFEI attempt to filter out differences in SoS. For example, last year VT was ranked 65th - not much better than our 77th. But their yards/game looked really good.

I think we could see some statistical improvement in our defense this year but not win any more games. We are going to face a lot of tough outs.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I have been to 4 Duke games in 2022 and 2023. The thing that stood out to me for their defense was that the secondary tackled well in space. Usually isolated one on one. They also had very few big play breakdowns. I would not think their personnel is much different than ours based on recruiting. I think Elko instilled a belief in the players that they could win more than his x's and o's, but he is a defensive minded coach. They also had a very good QB who could move the offense. He's now at ND.
Which raises the question how much of duke’s improvement on def was Santucci or was it Elko?

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Things that have been said in the early days of fall camp are that our DL has significantly improved and that we have a lot of depth in the front 7.

I think our defense will be a lot better. That doesn't necessarily mean good.

57jacket

Helluva Engineer
One of my biggest gripes about THG defense was the poor open field tackling. Much better last year. Continuing to improve this year I hope.

seanfloyd18

Georgia Tech Fan
Which raises the question how much of duke’s improvement on def was Santucci or was it Elko?
I think this question is partially why we got Santucci; proving himself beyond Elko. This question will always be there unless he succeeds quickly at his next stop.

A few months back I was looking into the Santucci/Elko discussion and after finding a bunch of different breakdowns, etc. came to the conclusion that, for 2023, that was Santucci’s defense. Elko running the program, Santucci running the defense.

I also share the mindset, with some other posters, that 2024 GT Defensive Roster is simply more talented than the 2023 Duke Defense. We are in year one, so everything is new, but we have a young and hungry defense, and very few things are as motivating as looking last year’s defensive failures in the mirror.

This roster is actually a secret gold mine to a young talented DC; the potential for our defense is actually incredibly high. We as a fanbase have been so low, it’s hard to get a serious vantage point.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Santucci had worked under Elko going back to 2017 at Notre Dame. Elko was a DC by trade. The Duke defense made strides in 2022 under Elko and his first DC. Santucci came in in year 2 and the defense got much better. But, given that Santucci is Elko's protege, I have to think that much of the ground-work for the system was installed before he came in. So, he had a lot working in his favor and setting him up for success.

Working in his favor here: We did run a similar 4-2-5 defensive scheme. Not like we're trying to switch from a 3-4 or something. Plus, on paper, we have more talent than he had to work with at Duke. Last year, Duke was 12th in the ACC in 247's Team Talent Composite. Tech was 6th, just behind Louisville. I anticipate we'll be similar when this year's numbers come out. I also think Key and Sherrer got some arrows pointed in the right direction later last year. So, maybe Santucci is set up for more success here than it looks like, based on stats and returning production.

I do think Santucci is a good coach. So far, I trust Coach Key's ability to identify and hire assistants. But I'm skeptical how quickly Santucci can implement a big improvement.

Plus, I'll admit, I lost hope for good defensive play a decade ago. We've been looking for a difference-making DC since 2007. We've been mediocre-to-bad on defense so long. I'm not even sure what a good defense at Tech would look like. I don't believe. But I really hope this squad will prove me wrong. But my skepticism is honestly earned.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
Santucci had worked under Elko going back to 2017 at Notre Dame. Elko was a DC by trade. The Duke defense made strides in 2022 under Elko and his first DC. Santucci came in in year 2 and the defense got much better. But, given that Santucci is Elko's protege, I have to think that much of the ground-work for the system was installed before he came in. So, he had a lot working in his favor and setting him up for success.

Working in his favor here: We did run a similar 4-2-5 defensive scheme. Not like we're trying to switch from a 3-4 or something. Plus, on paper, we have more talent than he had to work with at Duke. Last year, Duke was 12th in the ACC in 247's Team Talent Composite. Tech was 6th, just behind Louisville. I anticipate we'll be similar when this year's numbers come out. I also think Key and Sherrer got some arrows pointed in the right direction later last year. So, maybe Santucci is set up for more success here than it looks like, based on stats and returning production.

I do think Santucci is a good coach. So far, I trust Coach Key's ability to identify and hire assistants. But I'm skeptical how quickly Santucci can implement a big improvement.

Plus, I'll admit, I lost hope for good defensive play a decade ago. We've been looking for a difference-making DC since 2007. We've been mediocre-to-bad on defense so long. I'm not even sure what a good defense at Tech would look like. I don't believe. But I really hope this squad will prove me wrong. But my skepticism is honestly earned.
I don’t disagree…. BUT…
Sobering reality will likely kick in soon enough. Can we at least set it aside during preseason?

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I have the same issue, i have been hoping for a killer defense since 2007. I remember having SO much hope for Al Groh to turn our defense around only to discover it was somehow even worse under him

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I've been thinking a lot about this the last couple weeks. I feel cautiously optimistic about the offense. I think the defense is going to be the difference between a solid year and a disappointing one. I want to believe the D can be much better. But I'm just not sure it's realistic for a quick turnaround.

The big problem is personnel. We needed to keep our best returning players and add from the portal/recruiting. We lost three of our best playmakers up front in Kennard, Douse and Kelly. We added from the portal. But numbers-wise just to replace those guys. I'm not sure we got any clear upgrades.

I feel ok about DT/NT. I like the pickups of Gore and van den Berg a lot. Biggers and Lockett have size and could break out for us. But I don't know that we have any playmakers here who are going to generate pressure or sacks. DE is going to be a problem. IMHO, we're going to really miss Kennard. We have no proven players and we're thin on numbers. We were bad at DE last year. I don't see the pieces in place for quick improvement. But there's always the chance of someone(s) breaking out in a big way. Harris looked good at times last year, but didn't generate TFLs or sacks. Height and Sylvain have ability, but need to progress and stay healthy. Could get help here from Jacob Cruz (listed at LB, but has DE size now) and Makius Scott (played as a big DE some last year and we're deeper at DT.)

At LB, Efford should be solid. We have a lot of bodies and young talent for 2 LB spots. But we need the next stars to emerge beside him. If Tren Tatum can put it together, we could have a solid duo. But he struggled last year. DB, could be the strength of the D. We lost a few playmakers. But we have a lot of versatile players and some experience. But we lost some starters and we need the next group to mature.

Coaching is a toss up. Santucci did good things at Duke, but was it him or Elko? I think he's probably an upgrade from Thacker/Sherrer. But Thacker's defenses were good in spurts (and terrible at other times.) Was it him? Was it the HC? Was it personnel? How much of an difference can Santucci really make by himself? We were in the 100s in DFEI under TFG. We were 38th in DFEI in 2022. (Why Thack, temporarily, kept his job.) Fell to 77th last year. The assistants are a complete toss up. Do they make a difference, good or bad? Do they not jive with some of our key players? Our upperclassmen have seen a lot of coaching turnover. Transitions are always difficult. There's going to be mistakes and growing pains from implementing a new system. We haven't had a lot of consistency. Long term, I think we are better situated with our staff. But is the change/transition a net benefit or detriment for this year? I'm not sure.

I can imagine a scenario where we leap back to the mid-30s in DFEI (Which, we were there in 2022, so it's not like we don't have the potential.) But that requires a lot to go right. Our margin for error is thin. Looks something like: Biggers and Lockett (both lost weight) have breakout years inside. Gore and van den Berg are good in rotation. Sylvain finally puts it all together. Height is a great pickup. A combination of Jacob Cruz (LB/DE) and Makius Scott (DT/DE) help fill the gaps at DE. Efford and Tatum are the second coming of Eley and Thomas. We find playmakers in the secondary. Santucci and the new assistants makes as big a difference as Buster and crew did for the Offense. Santucci fits his scheme to our players and presses the right buttons in playcalls. We stay healthy. The defense is solid enough to help the offense win games.

But more so, I see a scenario where the DTs are just ok. The DEs are a big weakness. We can't generate a pass rush or consistently stop the run. Efford is on an island. We don't have a solid #2 at LB and he's constantly trying to clean up for the front. The DBs are ok, but opposing QBs have all day to throw and they are under a lot of pressure. We see some progress as the year goes, but there's mistakes and busts from learning the new system. Santucci calls the right plays, but we can't consistently execute. Plus, we face a lot of really good offenses. Any key injuries (which will likely happen) and we'll be in trouble. The results are about the same as they have been.
Excellent - this tracks how I see the Defense this season. Hope but little actual faith.

slugboy

Staff member
Santucci had worked under Elko going back to 2017 at Notre Dame. Elko was a DC by trade. The Duke defense made strides in 2022 under Elko and his first DC. …

Maybe it was Elko, but O’Leary was a DC, and his defenses as a head coach weren’t great. It’s not hard to find good DCs that didn’t make a similar defensive impact as head coaches. There are some head coaches that keep their previous units performing at a high level, but it’s often hard to tell who makes the difference.

The only thing to be sure of is when a new coach comes in and a unit tanks. Otherwise, things are cloudy.

—-

As for the DL, I’ve seen a few articles that say Santucci runs a 4-2-5 with a stand-up rush end (which happens in a 3-3-5 too). I’m not sure, but that makes me think he may use a big LB as a rush end and move someone else inside. (I won’t be sure of this until I actually see us on the field). Either he has the players he wants, or he’s had endless time to plan with who he does have.

I don’t want to base too much on Duke’s defense, because Santucci might have a lot he wants to do that Elko may not have wanted.

Last season was mostly about fixing basics. If we do better at tackling and reading plays correctly, we should be a lot better on defense.

I’m in “wait and see” mode.

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
We as a fanbase have been so low, it’s hard to get a serious vantage
From my low leverage field view. The defense will be better.

prairie dog GIF

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I believe, as a non professional DC of course, that our D last year early was a product of very ineffective LB play and poorly coached/schemed DE play. With 38 tackles from Biggers and some encouraging play from Lockett and Scott I do not believe our D woes should be dumped on the DTs. Agree that more depth and better coaching will improve the DT play. Late in the year Efford emerged with some real LB play and the DEs did less of driving inside leaving the safeties to come off coverage and make an open field tackle for a significant outside gain, repeatedly. Our 3 safeties should not have been leading the tackling at mid season. Some of these problems seemed to be at least partially fixed in the last few games and our other LBs seemed to get more in the game. Harris showed up at DE in the bowl game. I am encouraged that Santucci can recognize and fix these problems, especially since he will have more quality depth to work with. What he desperately needs to develop is a pass rush. He will have Height and Sylvain to help Harris. It is possible to greatly improve this D.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
From my low leverage field view. The defense will be better.

prairie dog GIF

Statistically, it would be hard to get worse. My gut says we will see major improvement on the D this year but it might not be enough improvement to overcome the SoS we face. It's entirely possible we end up winning only 5-6 games yet have a much improved team.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I believe, as a non professional DC of course, that our D last year early was a product of very ineffective LB play and poorly coached/schemed DE play. With 38 tackles from Biggers and some encouraging play from Lockett and Scott I do not believe our D woes should be dumped on the DTs. Agree that more depth and better coaching will improve the DT play. Late in the year Efford emerged with some real LB play and the DEs did less of driving inside leaving the safeties to come off coverage and make an open field tackle for a significant outside gain, repeatedly. Our 3 safeties should not have been leading the tackling at mid season. Some of these problems seemed to be at least partially fixed in the last few games and our other LBs seemed to get more in the game. Harris showed up at DE in the bowl game. I am encouraged that Santucci can recognize and fix these problems, especially since he will have more quality depth to work with. What he desperately needs to develop is a pass rush. He will have Height and Sylvain to help Harris. It is possible to greatly improve this D.
yep---It will be interesting to see who starts at many of the DEf positions. --2nd DT,2nd LB, rush DE, rover, other CB. --Oddly the most solid depth-wise might be DT with the uM transfer and the Penn St dude arrivaling...

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We're gonna win some big games in the 4th qt, lots of depth that will be coming at 'em for 60 minutes, just watch. Need to cut down the interceptions. We got lots of big games to win this year, unbelievable tough schedule with some nicely placed bye weeks. Win with our schedule and we're back in the game.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
yep---It will be interesting to see who starts at many of the DEf positions. --2nd DT,2nd LB, rush DE, rover, other CB. --Oddly the most solid depth-wise might be DT with the uM transfer and the Penn St dude arrivaling...
I see the pecking order on D shaping up like so:

DT is well fixed for this year when you add in backups Jones, Moore, and the promising freshmen Marshall and walk-on Adams. Rotation likely to be Biggers, Scott, Lockett, Gore, and Van Den Berg. Only 5 of 9 return next year so another round of portals at DT is needed next year.

I think N is fixed with Daniels and Gibbs in rotation and Shelley in emergency.

CB is interesting after Burrell, Harvey, and Shelley. I liked Franklin and Dowdell in the Spring Game and highly rated Stevenson just arrived.

SS and FS is a question after Lee and Brooks with Seymore backing up Brooks. Moore, Davis, Tobe, and freshman C Pritchett will have to battle it out

After Efford the LB position is a real question. Tatum may have the best shot at the other LB but Butler, Lightsey, and Hamilton are in the mix.

I see the edge players stacked up at the beginning: Harris, Height, Cruz, and freshman Bradford. Who knows how this goes.

The DEs are Sylvain and Robinson in rotation and sometimes Scott with freshmen Lloh and Boyd in a battle. Only the freshmen return so the SDE position will need portal help next year. Maybe an edge player will grow into this job next year as we have two promising freshmen at edge coming on board..

Last edited:

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I see the pecking order on D shaping up like so:

DT is well fixed for this year when you add in backups Jones, Moore, and the promising freshmen Marshall and walk-on Adams. Rotation likely to be Biggers, Scott, Lockett, Gore, and Van Den Berg. Only 5 of 9 return next year so another round of portals at DT is needed next year.

I think N is fixed with Daniels and Gibbs in rotation and Shelley in emergency.

CB is interesting after Burrell, Harvey, and Shelley. I liked Franklin and Dowdell in the Spring Game and highly rated Stevenson just arrived.

SS and FS is a question after Lee and Brooks with Seymore backing up Brooks. Moore, Davis, Tobe, and freshman C Pritchett will have to battle it out

After Efford the LB position is a real question. Tatum may have the best shot at the other LB but Butler, Lightsey, and Hamilton are in the mix.

I see the edge players stacked up at the beginning: Harris, Height, Cruz, and freshman Bradford. Who knows how this goes.

The DEs are Sylvain and Robinson in rotation and sometimes Scott with freshmen Lloh and Boyd in a battle. Only the freshmen return so the SDE position will need portal help next year. Maybe an edge player will grow into this job next year as we have two promising freshmen at edge coming on board..

After watching brumfield's press conference I need to make an update. It looks like Tobe is with the CBs and is that fourth CB I was wondering about.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Statistically, it would be hard to get worse. My gut says we will see major improvement on the D this year but it might not be enough improvement to overcome the SoS we face. It's entirely possible we end up winning only 5-6 games yet have a much improved team.

This is will be statistically impossible.

No way we can be a 30+ppg offense, improve on D and not be better record wise