How Many Yards Will GT Run For Against Duke

How Many Yards Will GT Run For Against Duke?

• Less than 100

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 100-200

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • 200-300

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • 300-400

Votes: 64 53.3%
  • 400-500

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Above 500

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters

slugboy

Staff member
Duke, last year they got us running the QB. Jones will not be able tot do that this year due to injury. They will have the dink and dunk passing game, like they have had the last 30 years, regardless of the coach.

For our offense, the way to beat Duke is run right at them. They drop their D-line 1 yards and the LBs five. That is a given 4 yards for the B-back and the QB on the Midline. They also like to bring the SS up on the line and crash the A gap. Quick rocket toss to the other side. Once they have to commit to the B back, then the outside opens up. Passing, a few play actions and maybe a smoke route.

If CPJ just sticks to his 5 plays we will win.

Cutcliffe knows passing offense. I wouldn’t expect him to attack CNW’s defense the same way he attacked Roof’s.
I’m curious how CNW prepares for this game.
I’m also curious how CPJ does. I don’t expect anything like Louisville here.

On offense, Duke is below average rushing, and middling overall. They have a 70% completion rate, hitting for about 12 yards per completion and 7 yards per attempt. If they’re dink and dunk then they’re having great run after catch.

On defense, they’re #38 on S&P+, and #34 against the run. They’re consistent and make you convert third downs —none of the Louisville giving up 9 yards on first down stuff.

They have very good special teams. Someone has to ;)

We have a very good offense this season. I’m using pre-Louisville numbers. We’re #31 on offense.

Defense is still below average (#88). We don’t defend the run well, or the pass either. We get turnovers though. We’ll be underdogs against Duke.

We’ll need a couple of things to win. Offense will need to be consistent and keep the faith. Keep doing what they do and not press. On defense it’s so basic as to be laughable. Defense will have to get turnovers and punts. We need to make them kick field goals instead of touchdowns. We need to tackle. We need to do just about everything better on defense. Linebackers and secondary need to improve.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few questions and notes:

1) Is Duke's best MLB out for the season? I know they lost some good D player(s) for the year.

2) No rain in the forecast. High of 74F so good football weather for the run.

3) Duke took UGAg out of the baseball NCAAs so I won't say anything bad about them. May think it though.

4) Here's how many yards per game we have rushed the last four years against Duke: 277, 341, 173, 282 for 2017, 16, 15, 14 respectively. That puts us in the 200-300 average range.

5) Duke has given up this many average yards per game the last 5 years (2018 first): 123, 153, 175, 154, 193. 2018 is their best average. Here are the 2018 stats of what Duke gave up and what the teams average is for the year for their 5 games against Army (168/308), Northwestern (99/77), Baylor (130/174), NC Central (136/?) and VT (81/190). So Duke has done a good job of stopping the rush, against Army that is probably most relevant.

6) TM has developed into an option QB in the last few games. By that I mean the dude is pitching a lot more and better than he ever has. He has always been a great runner, but last year he didn't pitch nearly enough (IMHO).

stech81

Helluva Engineer
A few questions and notes:

1) Is Duke's best MLB out for the season? I know they lost some good D player(s) for the year.

2) No rain in the forecast. High of 74F so good football weather for the run.

3) Duke took UGAg out of the baseball NCAAs so I won't say anything bad about them. May think it though.

4) Here's how many yards per game we have rushed the last four years against Duke: 277, 341, 173, 282 for 2017, 16, 15, 14 respectively. That puts us in the 200-300 average range.

5) Duke has given up this many average yards per game the last 5 years (2018 first): 123, 153, 175, 154, 193. 2018 is their best average. Here are the 2018 stats of what Duke gave up and what the teams average is for the year for their 5 games against Army (168/308), Northwestern (99/77), Baylor (130/174), NC Central (136/?) and VT (81/190). So Duke has done a good job of stopping the rush, against Army that is probably most relevant.

6) TM has developed into an option QB in the last few games. By that I mean the dude is pitching a lot more and better than he ever has. He has always been a great runner, but last year he didn't pitch nearly enough (IMHO).
Here was a list this past week for Duke:
Date Pos Player Injury Status
09/24/18 RB Brittain Brown Upper Body injured last game, is probable Saturday vs Virginia Tech
09/24/18 S Jordan Hayes Undisclosed is "?" Saturday vs Virginia Tech
09/24/18 RB Mataeo Durant Undisclosed is "?" Saturday vs Virginia Tech
09/24/18 QB Quentin Harris Leg injured last game, is probable Saturday vs Virginia Tech
09/24/18 WR T.J. Rahming Ankle injured last game, is probable Saturday vs Virginia Tech
09/23/18 DT Edgar Cerenord Undisclosed is "?" Saturday vs Virginia Tech
09/23/18 S Michael Carter II Undisclosed is "?" Saturday vs Virginia Tech
09/23/18 C Zach Harmon Undisclosed is "?" Saturday vs Virginia Tech
09/17/18 WR Aaron Young Undisclosed is out indefinitely
09/09/18 CB Mark Gilbert Hip is out for season

I use this site not sure how accurate it is http://www.donbest.com/ncaaf/injuries/
Check back in a few days and it will be updated

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Seeing some say we should have passed more last night for practice? Good lord, you focus on the game in hand. You don't say "oh we're rolling on the ground and up 21, might want to throw in a pass here because we may need it in another game." Makes absolutely no sense. Glad Paul pulled the passing game after that first play where there was yet another miscommunication between QB and WR.
Actually -- and I thought the same thing -- Marshall mis-identified the defense at the line, or the "defensive front" according to Johnson. Result was the same but apparently he has some authority to change or modify a play at the LOS. I guess that is what all that scooting around the backfield and using up the clock was all about. Drove me nuts but I see the purpose. And no, he was not throwing anybody under the bus. He was answering a question. A very happy coach answering a question.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We did beat Duke at home two years ago. People talk like we haven't beaten them for 5 years.
Yes but JT made a huge play where he ran about 40 yrds from our own goal line to get us into a position to win. We could have easily lost that game. We may need a big time play or 2 from our QB again this year. In 2014 I thought we should have won that one. I think that was the game where we were ahead and then game was delayed due to lightning. We came back out flat and lost.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yes but JT made a huge play where he ran about 40 yrds from our own goal line to get us into a position to win. We could have easily lost that game. We may need a big time play or 2 from our QB again this year. In 2014 I thought we should have won that one. I think that was the game where we were ahead and then game was delayed due to lightning. We came back out flat and lost.
Jt -250 yes passing 200 yds running is how we beat them in 15.
If we had beat them in 14, i am thinking playoffs.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We will have to be aware of Duke TE. They will use him. We have had trouble with duke O and that position since Cut has been there. We will need a bigger body on him. They will force one on one on him. They like to run a semi trick play on the goal line. QB in spread takes snap and runs toward line like a sneak but TE releases and QB does a jump pass. TE is usually wide open. I have seen them run that play several times since Cut has been there. Usually anywhere from 3 yards or closer. Look for it.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer

People forget how bad JeT was in that '14 Dook game. Had one of those wtf INTs where he just chucked it almost like a hook shot down the sideline. TB came in and led a couple of late drives and there were folks saying he should start. Then the offensive juggernaut got on track... hmmm

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

We rushed for 229 yards yesterday which is a bit low for the last four years. TMs limited mobility didn't help; but we have never really been able to develop two game ready QBs who can run the entire playbook. Too limited in practice time or whatever.

When an opposing team has equivalent players and understands how to scheme against the Flex Bone, they can stop it. The better the D players (think VT) the easier it is to stop.