How Many Yards Will GT Run For Against Duke

How Many Yards Will GT Run For Against Duke?

• Less than 100

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • 100-200

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • 200-300

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • 300-400

Votes: 64 53.3%
  • 400-500

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Above 500

Votes: 5 4.2%

• Total voters

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Using that logic we should have took a knee on every play in the 4th quarter and punted so the defense could get some practice defending the pass. ( sounds crazy doesn't it ? To stop doing something they can't stop is also ) IMO

Are you trying to equate passing the football with choosing to punt on 1st down? That is absurd.

Practicing passing in a blowout would be akin to playing the back ups in a blow out to get them experience. Oh wait, that actually makes sense. I see why you didn't choose that comparison.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Are you trying to equate passing the football with choosing to punt on 1st down? That is absurd.

Practicing passing in a blowout would be akin to playing the back ups in a blow out to get them experience. Oh wait, that actually makes sense. I see why you didn't choose that comparison.
To stop doing something that is working is absurd.

Texwood

Jolly Good Fellow
Duke typically lines up their d-line a full yard off the neutral zone to put them in better position to defeat cut blocks by our o-line, and it has been pretty successful.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

We have blown countless leads and need to develop a killer instinct. The D wasn’t exactly lights out, our ball hogging ground attack was our best D. To start slinging it around would be the worst thing to do imo. As it turned out, we got a lot of back ups some quality game reps doing what we do.

BleedingGold

Jolly Good Fellow
Seeing some say we should have passed more last night for practice? Good lord, you focus on the game in hand. You don't say "oh we're rolling on the ground and up 21, might want to throw in a pass here because we may need it in another game." Makes absolutely no sense. Glad Paul pulled the passing game after that first play where there was yet another miscommunication between QB and WR.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Seeing some say we should have passed more last night for practice? Good lord, you focus on the game in hand. You don't say "oh we're rolling on the ground and up 21, might want to throw in a pass here because we may need it in another game." Makes absolutely no sense. Glad Paul pulled the passing game after that first play where there was yet another miscommunication between QB and WR.
The running game was incredible and why fix what isn't broke?;)(y)

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

I mean he used it when we needed it, we had 1 sack ad 1 completion to brad ( who made an nfl level catch , he planted both of his feet in bounds on that one.)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
we may have to complete some throws against Duke. If they leave their corners on an island against our wide receivers, I'd like to see us go play action off rocket toss and hit an A back on a seam route, because I'm going to guess their safeties are going to be in run support almost all the time. Might need to hit an A back on a drag route. Would like to see some play action and then hit a post, like we did against Va Tech last year. We don't have to hit a lot of them. We just have to hit them when we call them.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Because it isn't all about one game. Yes, we can run for 1000 yards against a team that has no clue how to defend the run. That doesn't help you against teams that do know how to defend the run. If you only pass when you absolutely have to, you'll look like you only pass when you absolutely have to.

I think you missed the point entirely. But keep going on your tangent...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
If we don't have a passing game we wont beat Puke. I thought we should have passed at least 12 to 15 times last night.
The bright spot on defense are the turn overs. But 31 points not. Take away the 21 first quarter points the score is 45 to 31. I think we have to score 45 minimum to beat puke.
Frankly I struggle with this one. When you rush for almost 600 yards and hang up 66 points, why would you think we "should" have thrown 12-15 passes? And it would have been 45-31 if you take away the 4th quarter points as well. But if we are playing take away, then take away Louisville's 14 4th quarter points and it is 45-17. And, really, even at 45-31 that is a two TD win, on the road, with an offense that has struggled. If you want to throw because you like throwing, well, okay. But if your offense is to run until they make you throw, then don't throw. On the other hand, I do agree we might need 45 to beat Duke -- how we get 'em I don't care -- but I still think our defense is coming around and the turnovers are one indication. On the other other hand, how many do we have to score to beat Duke by 45? That's how many I want. I want Duke leaving the field begging for basketball to start.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

But people do say "oh our starters are rolling and up 21, might want to play the back ups here because we may need them in another game".

I think you missed the point entirely. But keep going on your tangent...

I understand the point. It's just a short sighted and flawed one.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I didn't get to see the game because I was backpacking the last 4 days. I have seen the score and the highlights but cannot get a "feel" if Tech was ever threatened or not. The most important objective imo was to get the W and get the road monkey off of our back. By whatever means necessary. If they can't stop the run, we needed to keep our foot on the gas. Just get the W and get out of town. The two early L's imo took away our margin of error and/or ability to "work on things" or "develop our depth" or whatever. The bottom line remains the bottom line. If we have to throw 100 times to beat Duke and manage to win, I'll not complain about the lack of rushing attempts. I just want the W's.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I didn't get to see the game because I was backpacking the last 4 days. I have seen the score and the highlights but cannot get a "feel" if Tech was ever threatened or not. The most important objective imo was to get the W and get the road monkey off of our back. By whatever means necessary. If they can't stop the run, we needed to keep our foot on the gas. Just get the W and get out of town. The two early L's imo took away our margin of error and/or ability to "work on things" or "develop our depth" or whatever. The bottom line remains the bottom line. If we have to throw 100 times to beat Duke and manage to win, I'll not complain about the lack of rushing attempts. I just want the W's.
Tech was never really threatened

MidtownJacket

Staff member
The other thing that is important to remember is that all offenses that are worth a lick take what the defense is giving them. If you play a stand out coverage guy, then you don’t throw to his side of the field / assignment unless forced to.

The defense we played was unable to stop our options and types of run. If you move away from that and all of a sudden start to have issues (fumble, interception, 3 and out) you give away momentum. In an emotional game already fraught with boogeymen for our yellow jackets it feels foolhardy to focus on anything other than gas down, full frontal assault winning. We exorcised the road game demons, we won on a huge stage - only game of P5vP5 on espn and beat a team who had every reason to come out hot as hell and angry based on their last loss.

I’ll take that.

If we go up to duke and they stop the dive then I hope we run the counter trap we had going all night as well next week. CPJ says time and time again the opponent stopping the run against a traditional offense opens up quick throws for their QB. Against us it should open up quick pitches and outside options or midline/counter/traps. We use more intricate ball movement and misdirection in lieu of the quick throw / bubble screen / slants that I think many other teams run (tic) against run defense.

Even though we had the clear ability to road grade their Dline and just pound the inside he went more exotic with the traps and pitches to practice our response to the exact thing people are demanding he prepare for: traditional run defense stopping our dive and midfield run game.

CBP admitted to emptying their scheme bank against us on defense, he actually said “we tried every look we had game planned all year long and couldn’t stop them” or STTE. We literally just ran a clinic on how the option accounts for any Defensive look without passing (because the option accomplishes the same thing as the pass, get the ball outside quickly). The level of opponent certainly goes up next week but “game-practice” in garbage time on what we do makes more sense to me than forcing pass concepts we don’t know cold. We need this and every win we can get, that comes first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

For about the last 10 minutes in the second quarter, it looked like the game might go the way of UT last year. Tech got held to a FG (what turned out to be the only non TD possession all day.) and UL scored pretty quick to make the game 24-14. For a minute it looked like UL might have come alive. That was the closest to a "threat".

But then Tech responded with a crisp drive and held them to a FG before half (which was a total egg by the D.) When Tech scored on the first possession of the 2nd half it was basically over.

Duke, last year they got us running the QB. Jones will not be able tot do that this year due to injury. They will have the dink and dunk passing game, like they have had the last 30 years, regardless of the coach.

For our offense, the way to beat Duke is run right at them. They drop their D-line 1 yards and the LBs five. That is a given 4 yards for the B-back and the QB on the Midline. They also like to bring the SS up on the line and crash the A gap. Quick rocket toss to the other side. Once they have to commit to the B back, then the outside opens up. Passing, a few play actions and maybe a smoke route.

If CPJ just sticks to his 5 plays we will win.