How many wins for GT to earn a CFP berth?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
It is plain to see the selection process is money rather than merit based. As long as this is the case, we will be on the outside looking in and any deserving team of ours is going to get the shaft.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
I personally think 9 wins is possible. But 9 wins won't get GT in the playoffs let alone the top 25. There is so much bias against them it would take an 11 win season to get there.
in the past yes. if we go 9-3 with THIS schedule. We ought to be ranked.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
What is this thread though? I know we’re all excited because we’re somewhat good again but CFP berth? Yes it’s an expanded field but let’s pump the breaks a little bit.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
I say 10 if we beat UGA at the end of the year or 11 if we dont.

but who we play for the ACC championship will also make a difference. An undefeated Clemson for the win would get us in there with a 10 win season if we play UGA close again

But, my gut is saying we are looking at an 8-9 win season. Probably 9 with the bowl game win. Just like I thought 7 including the bowl win last year

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I completely disagree. Which team was better than the four in the CFP last season?
Georgia, possibly F$U (we’ll never know), and maybe even tOSU. But they could only choose 4 and Bama beat UGAg and UTA beat Bama. So somehow all that cancelled out an undefeated F$U who had won 3 games with its backup QB, one a 5-6 UF team, at game time, at the Swamp playing for a bowl and another being a 10-win Louisville team.

Ramble1885

proud sidewalk fan
I completely disagree. Which team was better than the four in the CFP last season?
I think the selection was fair. Say what you will about FSU. YOU CANNOT LOSE BY 60 IN A BOWL GAME. ”bUt tHe oPt oUtS” okay well in that case they would’ve lost by 30 😂

Bama beat the team who had been #1 the whole year. They deserved to be in. Thankfully the expansion should end this.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Ha ha ha. That’s funny. The argument will just shift to whoever got left out of the expanded playoffs….just like it always does.
At some point the last out does not matter. Does anyone really care about the last team out in the NCAA BB Tournament except for the fans if that school?

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Georgia, possibly F$U (we’ll never know), and maybe even tOSU. But they could only choose 4 and Bama beat UGAg and UTA beat Bama. So somehow all that cancelled out an undefeated F$U who had won 3 games with its backup QB, one a 5-6 UF team, at game time, at the Swamp playing for a bowl and another being a 10-win Louisville team.
At selection time uga, tOSU and FSU were not better than the four selected. None deserved a bid unless you're giving the ACC champ an automatic.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
At selection time uga, tOSU and FSU were not better than the four selected. None deserved a bid unless you're giving the ACC champ an automatic.
This is your opinion. Many, including myself, disagree.

It is a subjective analysis unless you go by hard metrics, the chief of which would be W/L. I will not relitigate the issue, we did that ad nauseum at the time, but you asked so I answered.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think the selection was fair. Say what you will about FSU. YOU CANNOT LOSE BY 60 IN A BOWL GAME. ”bUt tHe oPt oUtS” okay well in that case they would’ve lost by 30 😂

Bama beat the team who had been #1 the whole year. They deserved to be in. Thankfully the expansion should end this.
Baloney. Are you God? How do you know?

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
This is your opinion. Many, including myself, disagree.

It is a subjective analysis unless you go by hard metrics, the chief of which would be W/L. I will not relitigate the issue, we did that ad nauseum at the time, but you asked so I answered.
Going forward there is no hard fact comparison for the teams. Having Conference Champs in is good. The rest is as it always has been will be subjective. Just no way around that with 4 giant conferences where two of them only play 8 conference games and none have divisions.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

FSUs defense didn’t even allow 30 points in a game last year.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Beating UGA who very possibly could be #1 at that time would be a helluva resume’ builder to the playoff committee

Thwg777

Ramblin' Wreck
Beating UGA who very possibly could be #1 at that time would be a helluva resume’ builder to the playoff committee

I know I’m veering off-topic, but I want to go on record that u(sic)ga will lose at least two regular season games this year.

Their schedule is pretty difficult, but I also think the new playoff structure will lead to more parity amongst the SEC and Big 10 teams - with many 10-2 or even 9-3 teams in the playoffs (along with just the ACC winner, Big 12 winner and Notre Dame).

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
I think everyone is forgetting that the current format guarantees spots for the five highest-ranked conference champions, a 5+7 format (adjusted from a 6+6 format after the demise of the PAC12). That means at least one G5 conference champion will be included. Since most years the top G5 team is not in the top 12 (Liberty was #23 last year), at-large bids will go to teams in the top 11.

I predict this year's playoff will consist of 5 SEC, 4 B1G, 1 ACC, 1 Big12, 1 G5. About the only way the ACC and Big12 get a second team in would be an upset of a Top 5 team in the conference championship game. For example, an undefeated #1 Clemson (remember they start the year playing uga) falls to a #15 10-2 GT (losses to ND & uga) in the ACC Championship Game. In that case, Clemson wouldn't drop out of the Top 11 and would "steal" a spot from the P2.

For us to get an at-large bid, we must beat uga. Losing to uga and the ACCCG gives us a 2-game losing streak at the end of the year against playoff caliber teams, and would provide proof (to the selection committee) that we can't win in the playoff. On the other hand, if we beat uga and lose the ACCCG then we could probably have 1 other loss and be on the borderline of the top 11.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
I think everyone is forgetting that the current format guarantees spots for the five highest-ranked conference champions, a 5+7 format (adjusted from a 6+6 format after the demise of the PAC12). That means at least one G5 conference champion will be included. Since most years the top G5 team is not in the top 12 (Liberty was #23 last year), at-large bids will go to teams in the top 11.

I predict this year's playoff will consist of 5 SEC, 4 B1G, 1 ACC, 1 Big12, 1 G5. About the only way the ACC and Big12 get a second team in would be an upset of a Top 5 team in the conference championship game. For example, an undefeated #1 Clemson (remember they start the year playing uga) falls to a #15 10-2 GT (losses to ND & uga) in the ACC Championship Game. In that case, Clemson wouldn't drop out of the Top 11 and would "steal" a spot from the P2.

For us to get an at-large bid, we must beat uga. Losing to uga and the ACCCG gives us a 2-game losing streak at the end of the year against playoff caliber teams, and would provide proof (to the selection committee) that we can't win in the playoff. On the other hand, if we beat uga and lose the ACCCG then we could probably have 1 other loss and be on the borderline of the top 11.
GA Tech will jot get into the CFP with 3 losses.