How many wins for GT to earn a CFP berth?

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
The TV folk will look at the teams under consideration and pick the ones that get the most eyeballs and they will have a big say behind the scenes. The money is what talks with the money folks.
They established last season that the purpose of the CFP is money generation, not determining a true champion. Why would that change with more teams? I have no idea how many games GT must win to get into that playoff.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
They established last season that the purpose of the CFP is money generation, not determining a true champion. Why would that change with more teams? I have no idea how many games GT must win to get into that playoff.
Unless you're undefeated and in the big 2 I don't think there is any way to know whether you make the playoffs, exception being if you're a conference champion of the Big 12/ ACC. Isn't that an auto bid?

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember that the topic was getting into the conversation, not getting into to CFP. I'd say it depends on the 9 wins. If we end the season with an upset of UGa, and our 3 losses are earlier in the season...then I suspect we are indeed in the conversation. Not at all sure we'd get in. That depends on so many factors beyond our performance by other teams.
We are having a playoff conversation with no wins. We will be yelling and screaming bloody murder, if we are left out with 9 wins.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
seems like it would take a weird combo of 9 wins to a) not be in the conference championship game (a loss there and a 9-4 profile doesn’t feel good enough), b) not have any bad losses that would be disqualifying and c) have enough big wins to be in the conversation. Like beat all of ND and UGA and FSU but lose 3 close games to the best of the rest in the conference.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Unless you're undefeated and in the big 2 I don't think there is any way to know whether you make the playoffs, exception being if you're a conference champion of the Big 12/ ACC. Isn't that an auto bid?
I think it is now, so F$U last season shouldn't happen again, but any others (it appears to me) will be chosen based on some mix of season record, potential eyeballs and dollar bills.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
I think it is now, so F$U last season shouldn't happen again, but any others (it appears to me) will be chosen based on some mix of season record, potential eyeballs and dollar bills.
With Conference schedules being so unbalanced there really is no other way to make the decision on the non conference champions. Even the conference champions will likely played very different conference schedules. It will be a mix as you said. Is there a better way now?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Lots of optimism and lots of reasons to be optimistic.

But the other teams get to improve. Saw video of Virginia,Tech lineman doing 10 reps at 615 lb squats to set new VT record.

Teams will scheme against our offense.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
Lots of optimism and lots of reasons to be optimistic.

But the other teams get to improve. Saw video of Virginia,Tech lineman doing 10 reps at 615 lb squats to set new VT record.

Teams will scheme against our offense.
Alternatively and thankfully, they might need a little more than just a scheme to stop an offense led by OCBF and backed by our experienced OL, HK, Jamal Haynes, and Eric Singleton. We've got a squad this year.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think we need ten wins, with maybe only losing to ND and uga. That will get us into the ACCCG and no worse than 2nd in the conference. Even that might not be enough if the SEC and B1G get four each and the Big 12 gets their champ in. I can see the ACC with only its champ in if FSU and Clemson are not the two top ACC teams. We could be undefeated in the conference and a one loss FSU or Clemson get picked over us. Anyone who thinks we will be in the CFP with a 9-3 record is smoking something.

This is a nice summer topic, but the reality is we are not likely winning ten games this year. Or, nine games. If we beat FSU in Ireland, let's talk about it. But, we are 13-point dogs right now.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
oh no they just say FSU should have been ranked 97. Now when the mutts beat TN tech they will skyrocket to the front.
I think there is some truth to this point. I think the pundits will say FSU lost too much and the expectations were unrealistic. But, we need to get off to a good start. Winning this game may not get us ranked, but beating GSU, Cuse, and VMI after winning this game probably will.

Blue&Gold1034

Jolly Good Fellow
If we beat free shoes, they will remain in the top 25, probably low 20s, and we will not ranked.
It depends. If it is a blowout like 42-27, then I can see GT being put in the 20s range. If it's a close game, maybe not. Polls ratings are all about style points. If Tech controls the game for the most part and wins by double digits, I think the pollsters will be impressed enough to include the team in the top 25.

Last edited:

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I believe we're in a period of time where the powers that be want to see us succeed, they want Atlanta in the Big 10 media collection of top 10 media mkts and GT is their answer, at least for the present. They hold the purse strings, they will get their way. It cannot be escaped, it is all about the money.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
We will 100% be ranked for the first time since early 2015 if we beat Free Shoes. Poll inertia is a lot less of a thing these days than it used to be. If you need a 1:1 example from last season, just look at where Colorado and Duke went from preseason to week 2 after beating TCU and Clemson, respectively.