How many wins for GT to earn a CFP berth?

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I personally think 9 wins is possible. But 9 wins won't get GT in the playoffs let alone the top 25. There is so much bias against them it would take an 11 win season to get there.
But 9 would likely get us into the conversation. With a preseason Top Toughest schedule (#6 iirc for from some outlets) that is deserving of being in the conversation.

305jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Shame that we will be written off by uninformed media/public for having an ACC schedule, despite having a tough OOC schedule + the hardest within the conference.

Anyways, if we win 9 games, I don’t even care at that point about the media, it means we finally have a good football team.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
I personally think 9 wins is possible. But 9 wins won't get GT in the playoffs let alone the top 25. There is so much bias against them it would take an 11 win season to get there.
It would depend on how the teams we play actually end up. Right now, our schedule looks daunting. However, if FSU goes 9-3, uga goes 10-2, ND goes 6-6, the strength of our schedule becomes diminished. If the teams we play exceed expectations, then our schedule becomes even more daunting. However, I agree, it'll take 10 wins to be in the conversation.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
Considering free shoes needed 13 regular season wins last year to make the playoffs, I’d take this with a grain of salt.
There are three times as many playoff spots this year than there have been in the past. So, I think it’s a lot easier to be in the conversation.

In the unlikely scenario (wink wink) Tech doesn’t win an ACC championship, I think they would need 10 regular season wins in order to be in the conversation.

Thwg777

Jolly Good Fellow
There are three times as many playoff spots this year than there have been in the past. So, I think it’s a lot easier to be in the conversation.

In the unlikely scenario (wink wink) Tech doesn’t win an ACC championship, I think they would need 10 regular season wins in order to be in the conversation.

I think it’s naive to think a non Power 2 non conference winner gets in at large (except Notre Dame).

GTZachary

Jolly Good Fellow
Yea no way we need less wins than teams like Texas, Michigan and Ohio State. With this saying regular season, we need 10 to be in the at large conversation. Then it will still be challenging without winning the ACC, unless the losses are like, week zero to an FSU team that ends up being top 10, and we are hot at the end of the year with a win over uga.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There's no way Tech gets in the at large conversation with 9 regular season wins this year.

If you look back at ranking history. There's years where there aren't enough 'qualified' 10+ win teams to fill out a 12 team playoff. ie. P4, or G5-with-signature-wins. So, there will be years where a 9 win team gets the 12th spot. I think we all know this will almost always be a P2 name brand. It's going to be hard for any team to make the case to be in with 3 losses. Will have to be a team with some good wins, close losses to ranked teams, and a big dose of benefit of doubt. There's just no combination of three losses and other wins on our schedule that gets us enough benefit of doubt.

Tech could absolutely get in the playoffs with 9 regular season wins, though. Because of our weirdly hard out of conference schedule. It's not hard to imagine Tech goes 7-1 in conference. Loses tough OoC games to (hypothetically) top-10 playoff bound ND and UGA. Has wins over top 25 NCSt and F$U and a road loss to let's say Louisville. Tech has the tie breaker over NCSt and faces Clemson in the ACCCG. A win gets Tech in automatically. Which, honestly, if a crystal ball told you Tech will win 9 regular season games this year; that's a pretty likely scenario to get there.

There's a chance!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Remember that the topic was getting into the conversation, not getting into to CFP. I'd say it depends on the 9 wins. If we end the season with an upset of UGa, and our 3 losses are earlier in the season...then I suspect we are indeed in the conversation. Not at all sure we'd get in. That depends on so many factors beyond our performance by other teams.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
The TV folk will look at the teams under consideration and pick the ones that get the most eyeballs and they will have a big say behind the scenes. The money is what talks with the money folks.

rfjeff9

Jolly Good Fellow

Especially since we beat FSU and Georgia.