How GT can be consistent Top 25 in recruiting

Animal02

Banned
This is exactly what CGC is doing. Everyone is treating this topic as if there is only one right answer. I've seen a few posts above that say we don't know what is said in the living room to recruits, but that isn't entirely true either. My coworkers son was recruited by GT, and eventually offered a PWO. He chose a full scholarship at GaSo. I have a high school classmate who's son played on the football team here at GT for the last 5 years. Both have told me exactly what the coaches told them. Johnson and crew hammered life in the big city, education, alumni connections, life after football, and all the other things you guys already know. But ultimately, a recruit has to buy what we are selling. Are there players who would prefer a smaller college town to a major metropolis? Sure. But we can't sell small town because that's not what we are. We have to sell what we've got. We make our best pitch and keep making it as long as the recruit is interested in hearing it. CGC seems pretty adept at figuring out what's important to an individual recruit. We will know in a couple of years how successful he is here at GT. Until then, it's all just supposition.
I agree. There is nothing wrong pitching the city.......it simply is not the be all to end all like some people are making it out. IMO......pitching the good weather to northern recruits would be a much bigger advantage.........considering you guys are in the 60s and I have 3-5 inches of the white stuff to get off the driveway. :eek:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I agree. There is nothing wrong pitching the city.......it simply is not the be all to end all like some people are making it out. IMO......pitching the good weather to northern recruits would be a much bigger advantage.........considering you guys are in the 60s and I have 3-5 inches of the white stuff to get off the driveway. :eek:

Every recruiting analyst out there acknowledges that being in the heart of ATL is GTs biggest single recruiting advantage, especially considering that the ATL metro area produces a large portion of the nations best HS football players. You and I agree on a lot, but you're just simply wrong on this one.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
For whatever reason, it is pretty clear that the allure of living in a big city is not a major driving force for most football recruits. The vast overwhelming majority of top football programs are located in small, rural towns like Athens, Tuscaloosa, Norman, Gainsville, Tallahassee, Ann Arbor, Lincoln, Starkville, etc., and some like Clemson and Auburn that even share the exact same name as their small town. lol. There are a few exceptions like USC (LA) and Miami, and some pretty good ones located in medium cities like TX (Austin) and Ohio St. (Columbus), but those seem to be the minority.

How many good football programs are located in downtown NYC, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Philly, Boston, San Fran, Detroit, Seattle, etc.? Not a lot. While Atlanta could absolutely be a great selling point for certain kids, for whatever reason, it seems that the majority of college football players either do not care or would prefer a small town that is centered around the university and football team.

And, to be honest, I kind of get that. I absolutely love Atlanta, went to Tech, and have lived within a mile of Bobby Dodd for the last 15 years. That said, I also went to grad school in Athens (please don't ban me from the board, it was a program Tech didn't offer! lol). I would much much rather live in Atlanta now as a professional with some money. But I actually preferred the town of Athens as a college town as a young kid over the city of Atlanta. In Atlanta, most Tech football players would not get recognized if they walked into a restaurant two blocks off campus. In Athens and places like that, those kids are legitimate celebrities.

[Edited to say we should absolutely still try to use it as a selling point, I just don't think it is the big advantage for most kids that some do.]

Animal02

Banned
For whatever reason, it is pretty clear that the allure of living in a big city is not a major driving force for most football recruits. The vast overwhelming majority of top football programs are located in small, rural towns like Athens, Tuscaloosa, Norman, Gainsville, Tallahassee, Ann Arbor, Lincoln, Starkville, etc., and some like Clemson and Auburn that even share the exact same name as their small town. lol. There are a few exceptions like USC (LA) and Miami, and some pretty good ones located in medium cities like TX (Austin) and Ohio St. (Columbus), but those seem to be the minority.

How many good football programs are located in downtown NYC, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Philly, Boston, San Fran, Detroit, Seattle, etc.? Not a lot. While Atlanta could absolutely be a great selling point for certain kids, for whatever reason, it seems that the majority of college football players either do not care or would prefer a small town that is centered around the university and football team.

And, to be honest, I kind of get that. I absolutely love Atlanta, went to Tech, and have lived within a mile of Bobby Dodd for the last 15 years. That said, I also went to grad school in Athens (please don't ban me from the board, it was a program Tech didn't offer! lol). I would much much rather live in Atlanta now as a professional with some money. But I actually preferred the town of Athens as a college town as a young kid over the city of Atlanta. In Atlanta, most Tech football players would not get recognized if they walked into a restaurant two blocks off campus. In Athens and places like that, those kids are legitimate celebrities.

[Edited to say we should absolutely still try to use it as a selling point, I just don't think it is the big advantage for most kids that some do.]
Yes, yes and yes.
Years ago, there were a lot of establishments that catered to Tech students.........every small college town has them......I don't see that around Tech much anymore when I have been on campus....but may I am just overlooking them

Animal02

Banned
Don’t really get your point. ATL is clearly something we can sell that no one else can. Are you saying we shouldn’t build up the positives of the city? If all you are trying to say is some kids won’t like it I get it, but you seem to think we shouldn’t use it?
Didn't say we should not use it......I just do not think it is much of a factor.....and think it is far less of a factor than many poster here believe it is. @GTRX7 spelled it out pretty well.

eastpoint

Georgia Tech Fan
So being in ATL is nothing new.
Correct. Playing in front of friends and family is the one of the most important reasons kids choose the schools they choose.

You might know something about football but you are ignorant about recruiting. Or you could just be an extremely negative Nancy about life.

eastpoint

Georgia Tech Fan

LA has been very alluring. Austin is alluring. Atlanta is more alluring. Demographics of college football have changed dramatically the last 25 years. Top 25 schools are made up of 75% or more black kids now. That is a huge change. 40 years ago Alabama had four black players. Think about that.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
LA has been very alluring. Austin is alluring. Atlanta is more alluring. Demographics of college football have changed dramatically the last 25 years. Top 25 schools are made up of 75% or more black kids now. That is a huge change. 40 years ago Alabama had four black players. Think about that.

And I saw where Atlanta was named the top city in America for young African Americans in terms of opportunities to make a lot of money. I think it absolutely can be a draw but we just have to have the right sales pitch. And it is going to take time to educate people about what the city has to offer.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sounds like you don’t like Atlanta. Why do you equate a private school in Chicago with a public school in Atlanta? More NBA and NFL players have second homes in Atlanta than anywhere. More NFL and NBA players retire to Atlanta than anywhere else. Metro Atlanta
So being in ATL is nothing new.
I am in a holiday inn so I know the facts about this big city.
The holiday inn is 25 miles nw of downtown Houston
The texas 6a state champions last year is 1 mile north and is attended by granddaughter.
The previous years championship was won by hs located .25 miles west of hotel.
They also won basketball championship in same year.
Both are also excellent academically.

Fact-
ATL and Houston are dynamic growing megacities that have a giant number of potential recruits. Of these recruits and their parents - most like being able to access mega city in a safe manner.

The rigor of gt sports and gt academics make game time a special visiting time for families. ATL has many fun attractions for them to enjoy on long weekend or post game.

We come a day early and go to the fox, the aquarium, concerts, etc . It's really a mini vacation and a gt football game.

However , I agree its not a be all end all for every recruit. Also agree that more than 1 person thinks it is. Good luck convincing them.

I just hope we can recruit the suburbs of very large cities because ATL will be a draw to"" many"" of those recriuts.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Weren't the land grant colleges located in rural areas and not in cities.
Penn state is half way between Pittsburgh and Harrisburg in the middle of trees.
Not saying a number of players wouldn't prefer a small town atmosphere.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
So we are going to recruit kids that spend all their time in clubs and at concerts? If big cities were such a great draw, Northwestern would be recruiting Mecca as well. I think people are wish casting Atlanta as such a great recruiting draw.
10% of NW recruits are from Houston.
Ae87"posted data link is source of the number. Dallas, Atl, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Detroit, AND CHICAGO - make up the rest.
a city school recruiting from cities.
Nw is in a crappy city. We are in ATL. They are a crappy football school. They average 50 as a 247 recruiting class.

Looking foward to the more visible and coordinated marketing of 404 and gt swag

Animal02

Banned
10% of NW recruits are from Houston.
Ae87"posted data link is source of the number. Dallas, Atl, Tampa, Pittsburgh, Detroit, AND CHICAGO - make up the rest.
a city school recruiting from cities.
Nw is in a crappy city. We are in ATL. They are a crappy football school. They average 50 as a 247 recruiting class.

Looking foward to the more visible and coordinated marketing of 404 and gt swag
Last 10 years
Northwest W77 L 51 (3) 10 win seasons 8 Bowl games
GT W72 L56 (2) 10 win seasons 8 Bowl games

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Yes, yes and yes.
Years ago, there were a lot of establishments that catered to Tech students.........every small college town has them......I don't see that around Tech much anymore when I have been on campus....but may I am just overlooking them
There are a couple; I've been there when the players came in and it was high fives all around. But it is more a matter of the Tech players choosing them then them holding out to get Tech players to come. No surprise that they are near Tech and feature cheap prices for good food in large portions.