How GT can be consistent Top 25 in recruiting

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what that means. Can we be top 25 2 outta 5 yes. Can we go 24 30 30 28 20. Yes. Is that our ceiling? No idea. It may be. But I do think we can do better than we have over past 20 years. If we do that. To me it’s basically a top 25 type effort. Splitting hairs. So I think its doable

Iirc gol had a few top 25 classes back to back. But thats before the recruiting service internet boom and bs

But his 1999 and 2000 classes were both top 25 I think

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what that means. Can we be top 25 2 outta 5 yes. Can we go 24 30 30 28 20. Yes. Is that our ceiling? No idea. It may be. But I do think we can do better than we have over past 20 years. If we do that. To me it’s basically a top 25 type effort. Splitting hairs. So I think its doable

Iirc gol had a few top 25 classes back to back. But thats before the recruiting service internet boom and bs

But his 1999 and 2000 classes were both top 25 I think

Someone posted a couple of links with recruiting rankings during that time and GT definitely ranked in the top 25 in recruiting multiple times during that period.

Also, I wouldn't put too much stock into the recruiting rankings during the early 2000's. Those services were just starting and severely understaffed. Just go look at the early Chan Gailey classes and see how many guys were ranked the default 2 stars...then went on to be NFL players or All ACC players. Now, when a 2 star or NR kid commits to GT, they pretty much all get bumped up to 3 stars. In a way, recruiting rankings have been inflated for P5 teams because those services know those coaches will limit access or those fanbases won't renew subscriptions if they don't "help" them out.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'd settle for annual top-40 with frequent trips into the top 25 and the occasional 2007.

I've always said, GT can easily be in the 30's annually (depending on size of class), and should be in the top 20 once every 4 years or so. Depending on size of class, recruiting in the 40's should be a disappointment...especially with the staff put together specifically for recruiting.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

One thing I realized with that chart is CPJ was coach at GT/had a part in recruiting classes for 12 of the 18 years that recruiting services came into existence and became a phenomenon in college football. The first few years of recruiting services, they were informative, but the service did not have the staff they had today so there were a lot of kids then had 2 star rankings or NR. Rankings became progressively more in depth as the years went on and recruiting camps during the summers became more popular.

I think one reason why a lot of GT fans think GT can only recruit at a certain level is because for the better part of the existence of recruiting services, one staff had a big hand in 12 of the 18 recruiting classes. There's not much data for GT fans to refer to. 247 (which is basically Scout as well) goes back to 1999, but the first few years of that service most players are NR or 2 stars.

I think the perception of how GT can recruit has been deeply skewed the past decade for the simple fact that GT's recruiting was deeply affected by one staff for the majority of the existence of recruiting services...and that staff ran a system that made it hard to recruit top flight SAs.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
If we can string 3 or 4 10+ win seasons in a row, we can make top 20 recruiting ranking happen. Will not be easy though.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

Animal02

Banned
If we can string 3 or 4 10+ win seasons in a row, we can make top 20 recruiting ranking happen. Will not be easy though.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk
Once in a blue moon maybe......even getting into the top 30 on any sort of regularity is going to be tough.
Getting into the top twenty means beating out all the teams below the line and one above. People need to get a dose of reality.
(As you can see, I only have 3 ACC teams on the entire list. I think we can competitively recruit with almost all of the ACC)
Alabama
UGA
LSU
Clemson
FSU
Miami
Michigan
Ohio State
ND
Texas
Oregon
Auburn
MSU (south)
MSU (north)
Wisconsin
Penn State
Iowa
Oklahoma
Texas AM
Tennessee
USC
Arkansas
USCe
Northwestern
Oklahoma St
Tech Tech
Arizona St
Washington
California
UCF
Cinncinati

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Recruiting in the top 10 is MUCH better than not recruiting in the top 10.

But as we have seen with other teams *cough UGAg for decades*, recruiting alone won't do it. That is why player development, discipline and coaching will be so interesting to see develop under Collins. I'm optimistic that long term recruiting success will lead to more wins.

Looking at baseball, I believe that our baseball recruiting success demonstrates the combination of GT academic reputation, location, vibrancy and program reputation allow us to land occasional top 10 recruiting classes. In the last 8 years, baseball has had two top 10 teams. This year's class, before the draft, is also ranked top 10. I think these are pretty good stats since the high school players are very closely evaluated for the MLB in addition to college.

More stats attached, but I'll leave it at recruiting.

Attachments

• Class Ranking versus RPI 2019.pdf
    34.8 KB · Views: 10

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

But as we have seen with other teams *cough UGAg for decades*, recruiting alone won't do it. That is why player development, discipline and coaching will be so interesting to see develop under Collins. I'm optimistic that long term recruiting success will lead to more wins.

Looking at baseball, I believe that our baseball recruiting success demonstrates the combination of GT academic reputation, location, vibrancy and program reputation allow us to land occasional top 10 recruiting classes. In the last 8 years, baseball has had two top 10 teams. This year's class, before the draft, is also ranked top 10. I think these are pretty good stats since the high school players are very closely evaluated for the MLB in addition to college.

Baseball and football recruiting pools waaaay different.

Animal02

Banned

Baseball is heavily weight to the South because of the extended playing time. Hell, you could have practice now in most of the SE.......meanwhile, in Big Ten country....it is blizzards (just got out of Fargo ND after 24 hrs of cancelled flights and delays)

herb

Helluva Engineer

Also, there are only 11.7 scholarships for the whole team. Makes it a huge incentive for players to stay in state when many are getting only a quarter of a scholarship.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Baseball is heavily weight to the South because of the extended playing time. Hell, you could have practice now in most of the SE.......meanwhile, in Big Ten country....it is blizzards (just got out of Fargo ND after 24 hrs of cancelled flights and delays)

True. But there are about 297 baseball teams in that ranking comparison where we are top 10 occaisionally. So I'd think there are a lot more southern / warm climate baseball teams than the total number of football teams in the ranking ratings. Plus small schools can compete much more effectively in baseball (i.e. Coastal Carolina, College of Charleston, etc).