How GT can be consistent Top 25 in recruiting

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
To get back on stepping up recruiting Mack Brown has 4 4* star commitments for 2020 already for UNC and he has been there same amount of time as Collins. I want to see us getting some "elite" commitments for 2020 as well. What is holding us back. Let's get some of these kids please. BTW one of them is a 4* WR from N. Gwinnett. I realize we actually have more rigorous academics than UNC and grades matter but let's get some momentum started at Tech.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
To get back on stepping up recruiting Mack Brown has 4 4* star commitments for 2020 already for UNC and he has been there same amount of time as Collins. I want to see us getting some "elite" commitments for 2020 as well. What is holding us back. Let's get some of these kids please. BTW one of them is a 4* WR from N. Gwinnett. I realize we actually have more rigorous academics than UNC and grades matter but let's get some momentum started at Tech.
I think you are underselling Brown's already existing network of coaches in the Virginia/Carolinas are and his established rep for running a top 10 program at UNC. I'm as eager to see us get more 4 star athletes as the next guy (well … I'd rather have players the coaches like for the jobs we have open, stars or not), but let's give the pot awhile to percolate. UNC has always out-recruited us - and most of the ACC, for that matter - but the results on the field haven't been up to snuff, regardless.

Btw, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Brown last about as long as Richt did at da U. He hasn't got anything to prove and, unless he can replicate his former success, very little to gain by staying if the program doesn't take off.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I think you are underselling Brown's already existing network of coaches in the Virginia/Carolinas are and his established rep for running a top 10 program at UNC. I'm as eager to see us get more 4 star athletes as the next guy (well … I'd rather have players the coaches like for the jobs we have open, stars or not), but let's give the pot awhile to percolate. UNC has always out-recruited us - and most of the ACC, for that matter - but the results on the field haven't been up to snuff, regardless.

Btw, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Brown last about as long as Richt did at da U. He hasn't got anything to prove and, unless he can replicate his former success, very little to gain by staying if the program doesn't take off.
I have lived in CH since I "got out" which includes Dooley, Crum, Bunting, Brown and Fedora. They absolutely were irate that Brown left them for Texas. Some still aren't real happy they hired him back. They felt betrayed. I think it's a sign of desperation and fact that Duke and State are out recruiting them recently. It should be interesting but things are gonna get tougher for us with UNC getting better.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what that means. Can we be top 25 2 outta 5 yes. Can we go 24 30 30 28 20. Yes. Is that our ceiling? No idea. It may be. But I do think we can do better than we have over past 20 years. If we do that. To me it’s basically a top 25 type effort. Splitting hairs. So I think its doable

Iirc gol had a few top 25 classes back to back. But thats before the recruiting service internet boom and bs

But his 1999 and 2000 classes were both top 25 I think
Also was before APR ramped up. Unless you churn through a lot of players on your roster it is hard to be consistent in your ranking.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Also was before APR ramped up. Unless you churn through a lot of players on your roster it is hard to be consistent in your ranking.

Apr is a bit of a joke. But wont go into that now. Gt has used it as an excuse. Look at who some of the top apr schools are. Alabama was a couple years ago. Remember its a self policed metric and all sorts of bs. So eh. But sure if you want to say that impact us. Fine. But its been a built in gt excuse and one you will never hear about from collins cuz its #fakenews

But. I will say. We will dip a bit in apr. but still be ok. But yeah sure its a minor blip. Nothing too damaging. Cpj offense was way more a hurdle for us to recruit than apr. and under chan after he put us on flunkgate the school got real strict. All of that has passed now. Collins is coming in at the right timing

Animal02

Banned
Apr is a bit of a joke. But wont go into that now. Gt has used it as an excuse. Look at who some of the top apr schools are. Alabama was a couple years ago. Remember its a self policed metric and all sorts of bs. So eh. But sure if you want to say that impact us. Fine. But its been a built in gt excuse and one you will never hear about from collins cuz its #fakenews

But. I will say. We will dip a bit in apr. but still be ok. But yeah sure its a minor blip. Nothing too damaging. Cpj offense was way more a hurdle for us to recruit than apr. and under chan after he put us on flunkgate the school got real strict. All of that has passed now. Collins is coming in at the right timing
APR actually hurts schools like Tech more than schools like Bama that have fluff majors.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Have no animosity toward Atlanta.....I just don't think it is the great recruiting tool some people believe it is.

I grew up in Atlanta, went to high school in Atlanta, and spent roughly half of my life in Atlanta but I don't think Atlanta is going to solve our recruiting woes. It goes much deeper than that. Now that I am retired and live in south Georgia, I avoid Atlanta like the plague. The traffic and the crime are just too much to deal with. You guys can have it. My daughter loves living in Decatur and working in Midtown for what it is worth. As far as Coach Collins is concerned, you can pretty much bet the house there is no scheme, marketing tool, fad, sales pitch, and any other technique he will use short of either paying them or holding a gun to their heads. Personally, I think paying them is what works. Why not? The NCAA is not going to do anything except fall on the floor and kick their heels.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer

All of that is true, but I would not underestimate the SOB, he can get players and generally knows what to do with them. That said, you are correct that his motivations are not what they once were as a coach. He will give it a whirl and if things don't fall in place real quick he will leave UNC hanging with a mess for his successor to clean up ala MR at Miami. A scenario we will likely not have to face with Coach Collins. Everything about him and most of his staff screams "Long Haul". It is possible we have found our man for the next decade, a veritable lifetime in today's coaching climate.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
All of that is true, but I would not underestimate the SOB, he can get players and generally knows what to do with them. That said, you are correct that his motivations are not what they once were as a coach. He will give it a whirl and if things don't fall in place real quick he will leave UNC hanging with a mess for his successor to clean up ala MR at Miami. A scenario we will likely not have to face with Coach Collins. Everything about him and most of his staff screams "Long Haul". It is possible we have found our man for the next decade, a veritable lifetime in today's coaching climate.
If our Assistant coaches are as good as I think , I look for them to move up and move on. I know people hate that but if you want the best they will move on.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck

Somewhat agree 33, as you say, the higher APR ratings list indicate it is a bit of a joke. It's not so funny in our case though with the no place to hide issue. Imo, the more important issue will be our graduation rate which is currently very high. If it tanks, the branding spiel will lose a lot of it's luster. Even ugag will eventually get dinged by their very low rate, if for no other reason because we will use it against them, but only if ours stays high.
Academics always have and always will impact our ability to compete against those programs who don't have our challenges. CGC will not be able to change society, but I am encouraged by his energy and enthusiasm, especially his comments about getting kids to start taking education seriously a lot sooner.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Somewhat agree 33, as you say, the higher APR ratings list indicate it is a bit of a joke. It's not so funny in our case though with the no place to hide issue. Imo, the more important issue will be our graduation rate which is currently very high. If it tanks, the branding spiel will lose a lot of it's luster. Even ugag will eventually get dinged by their very low rate, if for no other reason because we will use it against them, but only if ours stays high.
Academics always have and always will impact our ability to compete against those programs who don't have our challenges. CGC will not be able to change society, but I am encouraged by his energy and enthusiasm, especially his comments about getting kids to start taking education seriously a lot sooner.

If we can increase the talent level, while still getting guys with good character and work ethic, we’ll be fine.

If there are red flags showing up regarding the work ethic and character part, I’d just as soon not take them, even if they are a talented player.

It’s not just about grades, either. Don’t want to introduce a cancer into your locker room.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The BB one and dones don't hurt the APR if they finish the semester in good standing. That's how Duke and Kentucky are doing it. FB is more difficult since those kids are usually on a 4 year plan. The ones that drop out mid semester or fall behind in hours can really affect APR.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
CGC will not be able to change society, but I am encouraged by his energy and enthusiasm, especially his comments about getting kids to start taking education seriously a lot sooner.
Problem = this is largely out of his hands. Families that take education seriously are more likely to have sons who take education seriously, but even that is not assured. And I'd say it is a lead pipe cinch that not much a Tech football coach says will have much influence on the distribution of young men who fit the bill.

That is why targeting is so important for a school like Tech; we have to find good athletes who a) value education, b) have the grades to show for it, c) want to major in something Tech teaches, and d) aren't susceptible to the blandishments of other institutions with more choices available. That, sports fans, is a real hard row to hoe. Maybe we can get better at it, given time and money. Maybe we can't. Right now, our long term experience is not greatly encouraging for more then a marginal change for the better. Many here think the new staff can make the difference. I hope they are right, but I'll believe it when I see it.

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
Problem = this is largely out of his hands. Families that take education seriously are more likely to have sons who take education seriously, but even that is not assured. And I'd say it is a lead pipe cinch that not much a Tech football coach says will have much influence on the distribution of young men who fit the bill.

That is why targeting is so important for a school like Tech; we have to find good athletes who a) value education, b) have the grades to show for it, c) want to major in something Tech teaches, and d) aren't susceptible to the blandishments of other institutions with more choices available. That, sports fans, is a real hard row to hoe. Maybe we can get better at it, given time and money. Maybe we can't. Right now, our long term experience is not greatly encouraging for more then a marginal change for the better. Many here think the new staff can make the difference. I hope they are right, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Yeah, that's why I say he can't change society. I believe a lot of people aren't aware of how dismal the academic standing of the demographic which makes up the lion's share of the better players truly is. We have to hope no longer having to recruit to the TO combined with signing more exceptions (meaning vs OUR standards in the AA) with a ton of support for them, will make a big difference. One of our most important (imo) Assistant coaches is just such an exception.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer