How GT can be consistent Top 25 in recruiting

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I personally believe with an equal budget to uga we can pull 1 or 2 five star players and 5-8 4 star players.
I don't think even that much money would help us find that many quality football players a year consistently. Tech's curriculum and admission standards militate against it, even in a state with a lot of good athletes like Georgia. But we'll know how plausible this is in a couple of years.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
What the article fails to note.......spending during that time of Bama's renewed success.
As a comparison.
Football spending (not including scholly $$$) per player from 2006-2015 (2015 the last figures available)
UGA $173,710 to $238,040
Alabama $166,480 to $385,198
GT $80,941 to $169,097

Clearly the spending that Bama did showed results going 95% of what UGA was to 160%
Wow, thanks for the great info
If you have it - how are Duke and Vt doing?

Imo , Ala and UGA are out of our league .

Win the Coastal, dont get slaughtered by uga , compete for ACC champ, go to good bowl. First Milestone completed!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer

Win the Coastal, dont get slaughtered by uga , compete for ACC champ, go to good bowl. First Milestone completed!
Seems reasonable as a goal. Of course in my heart I want to win another natty in my lifetime.

Uga accepted the arms race when they hired Smart. I doubt even how the administration wants to put that much money toward football. But that may be our number one drawback along with other mitigating circumstances that we have less control over.

herb

Helluva Engineer

According to the earlier post, we spend 17.3 million. Duke outspends us by over 6 million dollars. Almost a third more than us, I don’t understand how we let that happen. It makes absolutely no sense. Virginia Tech outspends us by over 13 million,

Animal02

Banned
According to the earlier post, we spend 17.3 million. Duke outspends us by over 6 million dollars. Almost a third more than us, I don’t understand how we let that happen. It makes absolutely no sense. Virginia Tech outspends us by over 13 million,
One thing to consider is whether the cost of scholarships is included in the numbers......with Duke being private, they are not required to release the info, and their tuition costs would be much higher.
This is the site I got my numbers from.
http://spendingdatabase.knightcommission.org/

Animal02

Banned

Duke is private......you can look here for every (public) school's spending you want. ;)

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I have no argument with the support that Tech offers it's athletes and while Tech has expanded it's offerings....adding one or two more options may seem huge when you only have 40 majors.....it is nothing when compared to a school that offers over 150 degree majors. Tech needs to get creative WRT showing alternate paths to the end result.....like math as a undergrad major for someone looking toward med school.
I once saw a (reliable) statistic showing that Math and Physics majors had the highest MCAT scores of all majors, nation wide...way, WAY higher than Biology and Pre-Med majors.
(Arrrggh. Quote formatting error that I can’t seem to fix...)

Last edited:

Cam

Helluva Engineer
I'll repost myself in the quoted box below to give an idea of what goes into a top 30 class, how close we have been in recent years, and why it should be the expectation under Collins. There's no reason that a staff made up nearly entirely of high-level recruiters can't get GT over the hump and into the top 30. Furthermore, I think consistent top 30 classes should be good enough for us to develop into a strong program if we balance the roster correctly and "stay old." Model it after good ol' Wisconsin. Wisconsin, a program that has gone 42-12 in the last 4 years, just inked their top class EVER this last season. They were ranked 27th. I've come to learn that part of the reason that Wisconsin has difficulties in recruiting is due academic requirements regarding foreign languages, which few students are able to qualify for. Sounds familiar. But they develop their players at a high level and have had sustained success because of it. The goal, in my mind, isn't to have the best talent on the field. It's to have good enough talent that teams like Clemson and UGA don't just blow us up on talent alone, negating any kind of schemes or game plans. CPJ alluded to this in the past, particularly after a bad Clemson loss.

Top 30 consistently is certainly obtainable. We were about one blue chip player away from achieving it under Paul Johnson in 2017. Rivals has been using the same formula to calculate their rankings for the last 6 years and from that we can calculate the general cutoffs. In short, the scale ranges from 5.2 to 6.1, with the divisions being 2* (5.2-5.4), 3* (5.5-5.7), 4* (5.8-6.0), and 5* (6.1). Each rating grants a player a particular point value with additional points granted for being in the top 250 ranked players (more points for higher rank).

On average, the 30th ranked class has had a Rivals score of 1661 points over the last 6 years. That indicates that your top 20 recruits (the only ones used in the calculation) need to bring in an average value of 83 points per player, which means a relatively even balance between 5.6 (75 points) and 5.7 (90 points) players. Side note: this also means you could technically have a top 30 class consisting entirely of 3* recruits. However, the classes in the 30-26 range average 4.5 four star players, which Paul Johnson was hovering just below in 2017 and 2018. Assuming we get just 1 or 2 more four star players each year (anyone over 5.9 rating is gravy) coupled with a handful 5.7 rated players, we should be able to consistently be top 30.

Top 20 is a fair bit more difficult, but still possible. The 20th ranked class averages around 1894 points, which is an average per player value of 94.7 points and an average of 8.3 four star players. For reference, if you recalculate the 2007 class with the current formula, they had a total of 1886 points. That would mean that recruiting in the Top 20 each year would require us to perform at our historical best each season.

Vespid

Jolly Good Fellow

Simple, implement IPHAY, then we outspend clemp 10 to 1.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I want to see a gt verses vt line by line financial income and expenditure comparison. Any ideas where we can see this info. ?? Doesnt make sense. ?

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
One part of the equation I have not seen identified is the total number of alumni in the donor chain. I would think you would factor out the number of alumni outside the nation since I do not think they are major contributors. (Although I could be wrong on this one). Which would leave the alumni pool available.

I'm not sure IPTAY would be enough.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I want to see a gt verses vt line by line financial income and expenditure comparison. Any ideas where we can see this info. ?? Doesnt make sense. ?

It makes perfect sense. Our recruiting staff, until a couple of years ago, had 2 people on it. Then we bumped it to 4-5. Over all, our entire program has issues like this. We are (were) severely understaffed compared to our peers. We've been playing on the cheap for a decade now.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
We have 125000 alumni
Vt has about 250000 alumni.

Does the vt Alumni association share their list with VT athletic association. Not so at gt.

We have endowment 1.6 b and they are about 1.1

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
We have 125000 alumni
Vt has about 250000 alumni.

Does the vt Alumni association share their list with VT athletic association. Not so at gt.

We have endowment 1.6 b and they are about 1.1

That endowment is not for athletics. I know at GT, the 1.6b is pretty much off limits for athletics. On the academic/research side, GT has done very well financially, which is why uga was so keen to get engineering added. They wanted a piece of that pie. As for the GTAA, we have been woefully behind ever since the arms race began in the early 2000's.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
That endowment is not for athletics. I know at GT, the 1.6b is pretty much off limits for athletics. On the academic/research side, GT has done very well financially, which is why uga was so keen to get engineering added. They wanted a piece of that pie. As for the GTAA, we have been woefully behind ever since the arms race began in the early 2000's.
How do we have half the alumni pool and 40% larger endowment? Better AA giving???

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Duke is private......you can look here for every (public) school's spending you want. ;)

The Feds see your private school status and raise you one Title IX compliance requirement: https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/

OPE Equity in Athletics Disclosure has the spending by sport for every college as required to be reported for Title IX compliance. (Lags by a couple years, because bureaucracy)

From that data ACC Football spending by school 2003-2016:

upload_2019-2-13_8-49-0.png

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I also find this very interesting. Clemson Budget vs Wins. When D-Rad Arrived, he boosted the budget massively (I know, there were other factors going on too)*. It's a sample size of one. But if you want to see a correlation of $$ and Wins:

upload_2019-2-13_9-5-34.png

*[Meanwhile Sasquatch was cutting our budget while the rest of the ACC was growing annually by double digits. :poop:]

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Not only is Duke out spending us they have sociology degree to put their athletes in. That's what the majority of them major in. Duke grades easier than we do. Duke always leads the ACC in graduation rates and all ACC academic teams for a reason. That sociology program is well oiled.