How GT can be consistent Top 25 in recruiting

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Also, there are only 11.7 scholarships for the whole team. Makes it a huge incentive for players to stay in state when many are getting only a quarter of a scholarship.

As I recall, the scholarships can only be divided so far. Like maybe half? But the point is correct, the kids who get no or little scholarship will stay in state to have the reduced tuition.

In this year's class, GT is doing better at going out of state. 6 of 18 in the 2019 class were out of state. 2018 only 1 of 9 and 2017 only 1 of 14.

I think we have to go out of state to be more successful; either for football or baseball. (Basketball is a mystery to me.)

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I understand thinking there is a slim chance, but to not think we can have a top 15 or top 10 recruiting class and be with the big boys is going against collins, and keys mission. I truly believe key thinks we should be in the top 5 every year in rankings, and top 10 recruiting school. Collins may be on that same boat.

For you to laugh at it is understandable, but to say you're a fan and not be willing to do whatever it takes to give us a chance to get us there is... sad. Sometimes if you speak things into existence and walk like you know it will happen, it then does happen.

We should be thinking with this new staff GT has a much better chance at winning a national championship than 80% of college football. Leaving only most of the average top 20 tied with us. We haven't proved a thing. But you have to believe this school is special, it can be the center of the college football landscape. You want a recruit? You'll have to beat GT out for them because they get who they want. (That's what I want to hear).

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I understand thinking there is a slim chance, but to not think we can have a top 15 or top 10 recruiting class and be with the big boys is going against collins, and keys mission. I truly believe key thinks we should be in the top 5 every year in rankings, and top 10 recruiting school. Collins may be on that same boat.

For you to laugh at it is understandable, but to say you're a fan and not be willing to do whatever it takes to give us a chance to get us there is... sad. Sometimes if you speak things into existence and walk like you know it will happen, it then does happen.

We should be thinking with this new staff GT has a much better chance at winning a national championship than 80% of college football. Leaving only most of the average top 20 tied with us. We haven't proved a thing. But you have to believe this school is special, it can be the center of the college football landscape. You want a recruit? You'll have to beat GT out for them because they get who they want. (That's what I want to hear).

Oh and it's 8am... I'm not dunk hahaha I know its sounds crazy, but if you don't think it can happen why care? Always cheering for weak bowl games. We are here to win championships and to dominate.

GTRock

Jolly Good Fellow
First, we would have to not implode next season. Have a decent first year under CGC and I believe that staff can recruit in at least the 30's next year given what they did in such limited time this year. Then you have to continue to build off that. It's largely momentum driven.

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck

I completely agree with what you said except for one point: "but to say you're a fan and not be willing to do whatever it takes to give us a chance to get us there is... sad". If what it takes is sacrificing the integrity of the school or team then I am not for it. I don't want to be UNCheat when it comes to academics or Alabama when it comes to over processing players. We need to make changes for sure but those changes should also be in the best interests of the school and the players.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't want to re-post everything, but I (with some help/input from other Swarmers) did some research on this question a while back.

Thread: https://gtswarm.com/threads/how-should-tech-do-in-recruiting-rank-analysis.16594/

P5 Teams sorted descending by budget. Green cells are a top 25 class. There's other factors, but bottom line- if we want consistent Top 25 recruiting, we need a Top 20 budget (or more accurately the staff, facilities, resources, travel, and gimmicks such a budget can buy:

upload_2018-12-6_19-25-4-png.4682

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Just to ground everyone, AD TStan has repeatedly said ... we will struggle to recruit. And that our advantage will be development.

Top 30 sounds about right. Top 10? No way.

Deleted member 2897

Per Kelly all it takes is a few Top 250 or Top 100 per class. They bring the biggest swings.

Rivals points is crazy in that a guy rated extremely high nationally can count 3x as much as a 3-star guy. Those are why the top 10 in recruiting are where they are - they get several of them.

Deleted member 2897

If we get a real qb in the second 5 years to add to good program, there is a chance.
But don't bet on it.

We have 2 QBs today who are rated 4-stars. Kelly Bryant took Clemson to the National Championships as a 3-star. QBs are important, but are only 1 piece of the puzzle.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

The mentality of the fanbase truly only affects the results of the current staff in one way. Butts in seats at BDS creating a great football atmosphere. Something sadly lacking at Tech for the vast majority of the past 40 years.

As for stars, I never have and never will care over much about stars. Coaches landing the targets they most want? Yes. Fielding a team full of all Conference players? Yes. I don’t really care how Rivals regards anyone. Field a bunch of all Conference players and championships will follow.

Deleted member 2897

I realize that our new QB coming in was upgraded to a 4-star. Are you saying that JG, because he was a "4-star athlete" was also a 4 star QB?

Correct, we have 2 QBs rated 4-stars.

Justin Thomas was rated as an ATH too - he also was a QB. These are typically the best athletes on the field who can play multiple positions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
If we can string 3 or 4 10+ win seasons in a row, we can make top 20 recruiting ranking happen. Will not be easy though.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

This is a chicken/egg argument. The last time GT had back to back 10+ win seasons, Dodd was the coach. (51-52) In reality, we won't win 10+ wins multiple years in a row unless we get recruiting fixed first. It can be done, but trying to win games in order to recruit better is backwards.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Not sure what that means. Can we be top 25 2 outta 5 yes. Can we go 24 30 30 28 20. Yes. Is that our ceiling? No idea. It may be. But I do think we can do better than we have over past 20 years. If we do that. To me it’s basically a top 25 type effort. Splitting hairs. So I think its doable

Iirc gol had a few top 25 classes back to back. But thats before the recruiting service internet boom and bs

But his 1999 and 2000 classes were both top 25 I think

As was O’Leary’s 01 class and he was on his way to another in 02. We were rocking along in recruiting before Gailey arrived. Then we used his poor recruiting efforts to justify Johnson’s. Enough of the defeatist nonsense we have swallowed as a collective fan base.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't want to re-post everything, but I (with some help/input from other Swarmers) did some research on this question a while back.

Thread: https://gtswarm.com/threads/how-should-tech-do-in-recruiting-rank-analysis.16594/

P5 Teams sorted descending by budget. Green cells are a top 25 class. There's other factors, but bottom line- if we want consistent Top 25 recruiting, we need a Top 20 budget (or more accurately the staff, facilities, resources, travel, and gimmicks such a budget can buy:

Man, Arkansas and Tennessee fans must be pissed lol

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Just to ground everyone, AD TStan has repeatedly said ... we will struggle to recruit. And that our advantage will be development.

Top 30 sounds about right. Top 10? No way.
Any idea how the other acc teams are so rich compared to gt. Several have very strong bb ?? Small facilities that are empty can't be the money source. Is it more GENEROUS wealth graduates?

No kidding there is no way top 10 in foreseeable future.

fsu just had bad year. The grade rank of their top 11 are at or higher than our top recruit. We can do better, but..

It's not how good you are, it's how fast you get better.

herb

Helluva Engineer
Indiana too. Plenty bb money and bad football for as far as the eye can see.

Maybe it ATL as an attraction and gt being in a great high school football state that let's us slink by on the cheap

Or just maybe we had a good coach who did more with less. Nah, that couldn’t be it.

Now we seem to have a good coach, who is supremely interested in selling the school (a very good thing) and has more money to work with. Hopefully upwards and onwards from here.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

Now this is what I am talking about. I am just a rational guy that loves data. This tells a story. Thanks BC