How good are we?

coldbeer

Ramblin' Wreck
Miami played on the same field we did. Made a couple clutch plays down the stretch to get the W and deserved it.

We are a good kicker away from 7-2, a great kicker away from 8-1.

Same would be true if we shot ourselves in the foot a bit less in all 3 phases. If we don't recover that fumble on the kickoff...we almost certainly lose today. Then everyone would be gnashing their teeth, pulling their hair out, screaming to fire coaches, and whining about how tough life is.
If we Butler one more year......

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
We can reflect on the past all we want, but the truth is we still have a chance to win out and have a very good year. This team is slowly learning how to finish games. The potential is very high with this team.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
CPJ is not better than Bobby Ross

Actually, I agree. But CPJ is not really worse than Bobby Ross or O'Leary either. They are all about the same ...... https://gtswarm.com/threads/113-years-of-gt-football-–-2015-9-losses-to-2016-9-wins-to-2017.12624/ Q.E.D.

Based on Power Rankings, I think we are a 30-50th team so far this year. (44th after our win yesterday by JHowell. http://www.jhowell.net/cf/cf2017.htm ) Most teams can say they should have won some games; VT sure says that today. We seem to get better as the year goes on without undue injuries more than others.

Yesterday was a glorious day. GT beating VT and UGAg getting emasculated on the national stage. And here's to destroying Fluke and upsetting UGAg.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Over the years, I have learned to trust Jeff Sagarins rankings. I think he has it right in the way he factors in SoS, home advantage, and results. He currently has us ranked 23rd. I think that's about where we should be. We are much better than 5-4 would indicate, but probably not as good as we would look if we were 8-1, as we very well could be at this point.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
But CPJ is not really worse than Bobby Ross or O'Leary either. They are all about the same.

This comment lacks so much credibility it's not worth addressing.

Back to the point of the thread. Heading into this year, I thought that---after 9 years of this regime-- a corner had been turned. Now I'm not sure.

The corner has been turned on defense, but there was a long way to go and there is still a way to go. Roof walked into a pretty bare cupboard. It has taken time to recruit and more time for kids to get experience that is critical on defense. This defense improved over the year last year, and has done the same this year. The criticisms of Roof have been largely unwarranted.

Special teams are bad. That's the nicest thing I can say about them. They look un-coached in many areas.

The offensive skill players are good. The offensive line situation is not good. We have some good players, just not enough of them. This situation will have to improve before this program can go to the next level and compete for championships. With only two OL commits so far, there is reason to be concerned.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
This comment lacks so much credibility it's not worth addressing.

Back to the point of the thread. Heading into this year, I thought that---after 9 years of this regime-- a corner had been turned. Now I'm not sure.

The corner has been turned on defense, but there was a long way to go and there is still a way to go. Roof walked into a pretty bare cupboard. It has taken time to recruit and more time for kids to get experience that is critical on defense. This defense improved over the year last year, and has done the same this year. The criticisms of Roof have been largely unwarranted.

Special teams are bad. That's the nicest thing I can say about them. They look un-coached in many areas.

The offensive skill players are good. The offensive line situation is not good. We have some good players, just not enough of them. This situation will have to improve before this program can go to the next level and compete for championships. With only two OL commits so far, there is reason to be concerned.

Tech will sign at least 4 OL in this class and with Marshall coming back next year I like the way the O line is shaping up over the next few years. You are one of the few that recognized how bare the cupboard was on D when CTR got here, especially in the terms of quality depth. Though Tech loses 7 starters (mainly in the secondary) on D the players behind them are getting experience and have more size and speed so I don't think the drop off will be huge.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ stuck around.
Ross had a dream of winning the Super Bowl. He almost accomplished it. And if you know anything about him leaving. You’ll know when he walked out onto Grant Field the last time he said he almost changed his mind. But no one at Tech asked him to stay.
I’d take Ross any day over PJ

65Jacket

GT Athlete
Ross had a dream of winning the Super Bowl. He almost accomplished it. And if you know anything about him leaving. You’ll know when he walked out onto Grant Field the last time he said he almost changed his mind. But no one at Tech asked him to stay.
I’d take Ross any day over PJ
But Ross would not pick us over the NFL any day. I appreciate CPJs loyalty to our program, and he is one of the best coaches in college football. And he wins with the burdens of GT hanging around like an albatros.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Ross and O’Leary took over the program from dumpster fire level and turned them into top tier programs. Johnson took over a program that was consistently 7-5 and has had some good seasons, some crappy ones, and some great ones.

Ross and O’Leary might have won a national title with the 2009 team.

There’s a reason Bobby Ross was hired into the NFL and O’Leary was hired by Notre Dame (ever so briefly). They were elite coaches.

Heisman1215

Jolly Good Fellow
Ross and O’Leary took over the program from dumpster fire level and turned them into top tier programs. Johnson took over a program that was consistently 7-5 and has had some good seasons, some crappy ones, and some great ones.

Ross and O’Leary might have won a national title with the 2009 team.

There’s a reason Bobby Ross was hired into the NFL and O’Leary was hired by Notre Dame (ever so briefly). They were elite coaches.
For some reason GTSWARM is like a PJ fan club. Say anything against the guy, look out they’re coming for ya. lol.
I also believe him to be a GOOD coach. Not Great.
A Great coach would not lose games that PJ has.

TechPreacher

Banned
As I watch the second half of the college football season play out, I can't help to debate myself about how good we actually are. I'm watching this Miami game and I'm thinking, these guys are #7 in the country and are currently boat racing the #3 team in the country. And then I can't help but think, man we had these guys beat at their place. And then we beat VT today who happens to have the #1 defense in the conference. What gives? How good are we really? Are these games fluke games or what?

Record aside, we're the second best team in the ACC.

SolicitorJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
JmNORei.png

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If CFB were offense and defense only, we would be a top 15 or so team IMHO. Unfortunately, STs is a third phase of the game that effects more outcomes than some would like to think. We are good enough that no win would surprise me. We are also bad enough on STs that no loss would surprise me either. I know this much, I am very tired of dominating teams statistically just to have us fighting for our lives at the end. If you counted total yards and/or first downs like points, we would be 7-2. That sounds about right for us if someone were to ask "how good are we"?

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
BACK TO BEING RANKED BOYS. WE GOT 6 OF THEM WHOLE VOTES IN THE AP POLL. UP TO A GOOD OLE 30TH

On a real note, don't see us moving up as not a whole lot of teams in front of us are really in a prime upset position. NC State could lose to wake but almost every team lower than 15th is either at home or on the road against a team inelgible for a bowl so far.

slugboy

Staff member
So if we were 8-1 you’d say the same? We’d be the same team but with 3 more plays that fell our way.
I think we're a little better than our record, but we still lost those games. VT could have gone the other way, and maybe Wake Forest. Maybe we're 3 or so plays from being 3-6 instead of 5-4.
Our offense is still not humming to the same level as it was last year, and it takes time to get humming. I'm not trying to bash--I'm just saying that we're a couple of pieces away here.
I think we can improve recruiting--not to get top 10 recruiting nationally, but to get top half of ACC. The more important aspect is to improve player development. Even if we recruit the way we have been over the past 10-15 years (and I think we're getting better), we should be able to build up strength, speed, and mobility to the point that our players look close to the same coming off the bus as the players from the factory teams. We aren't there yet. I'm looking forward to the new locker room and the other improvements that Todd Stansbury has promised--hopefully that and staffing on S&T or other areas around coaching can bring us up in comparison with the rest of the conference.