How does this next period rate

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
I really disappoints and saddens me ( as well as royally pisses me off ) to see how any are even thinking of getting rid of CPJ only one year after last year. I just don't get this "instant gratification" crowd. Do they not realize how many Coaches we ran off before we found a jewell in CPJ?

Where are you reading this? I have yet to see a single person suggest getting rid of him. Why would you even suggest people are?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What I think about and concerns me is that our offense has very little margin for error ... we need the perfect QB, perfect supporting cast, perfect team chemistry, all the planets must be perfectly aligned etc. etc. etc.

Aren't most offenses that way? Have to have good blocking, good QB passes and recievers who get open and catch the ball.

I think what we are seeing is that with lesser quality athletes (measured by size, height, speed and strength), our scheme has to be executed perfectly to beat the superior athletes. But I'd argue it's that way for most teams. Most teams who average 40th recruiting classes perform in the 25th to 70th rankings. I think we'd do worse with a pro style offense and our D and ST would be unchanged. :facepalm:

Scubapro

Banned
I really disappoints and saddens me ( as well as royally pisses me off ) to see how any are even thinking of getting rid of CPJ only one year after last year. I just don't get this "instant gratification" crowd. Do they not realize how many Coaches we ran off before we found a jewell in CPJ?

I agree...one item to ponder is that the admin hamstrung CPJ on who he could recruit until he could prove he could graduate players. Its my understanding that last year was the first year restrictions were fully removed. So basically PJ started at -4 rather than at 0 in respect to recruiting and getting the types of players he feels he needs.
In that same thought ... if a new head coach is hired ...they will most likely be under the same 4-5 year recruiting restriction.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
IMO an eleven win season should guarantee 4 more years...period. Even if the 11 is followed by 3,6, and 7.....not many agree. To be clear....I don't think that is what we face. I think CPJ is more likely to follow those 11 win seasons with 7,8,and 9 win seasons. But give him stability, job security, the ability to control his staff, a competitive budget for assistant salaries and recruiting, an administration that actually supports football operations...then recruiting will improve and the best becomes possible.

Some of these things are being done, I'm not saying all of the above is bad. But a lot of it can be improved upon.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Changing coaches is the LAST thing w need to be doing, or even thinking about. (And I am one who thinks we'll go 0-3 the rest of this year.)

Changing coaches rarely matter much at GT. Just look at the record. We have not had this much success since the days of Bobby Dodd. If you want more than what we are getting, you need to revamp the curriculum to add jock majors, like the SEC and their clones do. And if that is what you want, you need to lobby the Administration, not change coaches. I have NO doubt that this coach could do wonders with the talent they have at, say UGa or Clemson.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What I think about and concerns me is that our offense has very little margin for error ... we need the perfect QB, perfect supporting cast, perfect team chemistry, all the planets must be perfectly aligned etc. etc. etc.
Well, look at it this way: despite the total cluster that our offense has been this year, we are still scoring points, not at the same level, mind you, but scoring. Now look at other programs who are having down years offensively.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I agree...one item to ponder is that the admin hamstrung CPJ on who he could recruit until he could prove he could graduate players. Its my understanding that last year was the first year restrictions were fully removed. So basically PJ started at -4 rather than at 0 in respect to recruiting and getting the types of players he feels he needs.
In that same thought ... if a new head coach is hired ...they will most likely be under the same 4-5 year recruiting restriction.

I think some of the strings were loosened for the Custis/Autry class as well. Just goes to show that, not only is it hard to get elite kids to commit here, but it is also hard to get them enrolled and to stay in school. Tech is just not an easy place to coach (or play). It is a labor of love that will pay off in the end for kids that are able to stick with it though!

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I think for us having a bad season we really don't have that many fans wanting to run CPJ off. If you look at any other team having a disappointing season they are wanting their coach gone in large numbers. Just like our cross town rival. A much larger percentage of their fan base wants CMR gone. I think our head coach has a great deal of support from us.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I think for us having a bad season we really don't have that many fans wanting to run CPJ off. If you look at any other team having a disappointing season they are wanting their coach gone in large numbers. Just like our cross town rival. A much larger percentage of their fan base wants CMR gone. I think our head coach has a great deal of support from us.
I think overall I agree with you but the pockets that want him gone are getting to the point terrible people with the attacks they are making against him.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our worst season since Bill Lewis was coaching?

not sure what you mean. Our discussion is about paul. Paul is fine this year not matter what and will be here next year unless he chooses to leave. He has had more successful years at GT than any coach in the past 50. We fired Chan due to not being scared to upgrade, and we upgraded. Schools can't be scared to fire their mediocre coach to upgrade if they believe it can happen.

clemson did it.
uga did it for donnan
GT did it for Chan
etc etc

We are having one bad year. Many coaches do. Mark Richt at UGA had a losing year. Of all schools. Its bound to happen at tech too. Firing CPJ would happen too after consecutive bad losing years IMO

So I really don't know what lewis has to do with this. Really nothing. Up to now, paul has been the best coach at GT in 50 years. In record, biggest win seasons etc....So I am going off what I see. If he happens to have 3 horrible years he will be gone. Up to now nothing suggests this season is anything more than a blip. We will see.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Well, look at it this way: despite the total cluster that our offense has been this year, we are still scoring points, not at the same level, mind you, but scoring. Now look at other programs who are having down years offensively.

I disagree here. The numbers aren't telling the whole story. We are scoring in the 20's most of the time, but a lot of those are coming at the end of games when we'd need a miracle to win. We are really struggling to score until the defense backs off late in the games.