How does this next period rate

alagold

Helluva Engineer
in for importance in PJ's tenure? This break gives him a chance to regroup from a very disappointing season so far.Can he refocus the team and win 2 of next 3 which I feel would be HUGE accomplishment seeing that his best DEF player is gone ,another 1st teamer quits and there are no cupcakes in sight.

The uga comeback game in Athens in '08 bought him 3 more yrs. But-
I think the vt game last yr was the most important game of his Tech career.He beat a top opponent on the road which springboarded team for rest of yr which solidified his place here.. Can he do again? Does he need to?

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
His haters will hammer this season's record do not doubt it. Each additional loss makes that hammer larger. Fanbases have short memories. Schools and ADs nowadays mirror the fanbases by and large. Win now or go home. It is what it is. Fulmer learned that.....did Tennessee learn from their error?....didn't seem to but their hires were awful. Has any other school learned from Tennessee's error? Not many seem to have.

I have no doubt CPJ is a great coach. I also don't doubt that successive struggling years are possible and could see him coaching elsewhere. I'm just hoping, for Tech's and his sake, that next year surprises just as much as this year has.....but in the positive direction.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
When we come out of this , and coach will bring these guys around, we need to get more talent in the stable.

We have a signature offense.

We need a signature defense.
Bend between the 20s needs to stop.

We want the damn ball now so our offense can grind out yards.

IMO
It is high risk reward.
Its a defense that breaks your heart, gets the ball back and scores, and ultimately wins championships.

We need to hang tough.

P.S when coach honored the Ratliffe scholarship, I went all in - moved to fla, got season tickets, etc

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
It would be a huge accomplishment to go 2 out of 3 for sure. Even if we went 0-3 though I dont see too many jumping ship on Johnson with a recent Orange Bowl Championship notched.

We have been right there in every game except two current top 5 teams on the road and even in those games we fought hard in the second half.

We have just been falling short a little each time. Some of that is coaches havent found the right buttons to press, and that's on them. Some of it of course is rampant injuries. Some of it has been the schedule, and some of it's been bad luck. IMHO some of it is that one bad recruiting class where we finished up short on numbers.

I think Tech's money guys are pretty smart and see recruiting ticking up with the help of more recruiting staff and guys like Roof and Pelton. There is a difference between record and what's going on behind the scenes. If there wasn't a difference, there is no way we suddenly win an orange bowl last year. Or Ross suddenly wins a MNC after several years of few W's.

If we can get several classes like last years in a row IMO we will start to be more of a reload team. We just arent there yet, and it's challenging at GT to do this. If we finish strong with this year's class I will remain optimistic we are headed in the right direction.

Just my honest opinion.

GTHOSCHTON

Jolly Good Fellow
I think good things are happening in the program...but this recruiting class is huge, and the disappointing year will hurt...so lets just wait and see what happens in February to me thats when long term succes will be identified, gotta put together a string of good to very good recruiting classes.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee gets brought up alot for uga too. It seems to be the hot example. But.

What about bowden for dabo?
Or bowden for fisher
Or richt for donnan

All of these schools were decent programs but it wasnt enough and they took a risk to be better and they were.

Every school has to evaluate its scenario and make a call and Tennessee doesnt mean anything. Its an example but not a copy. There are examples the other way too.

At tech i dont see why or how you could get rid of paul after this year. Two years of this in a row and its a legit discussion. Now no way. His track record is good enough at this school.

GT1992

Jolly Good Fellow
Tennessee gets brought up alot for uga too. It seems to be the hot example. But.

What about bowden for dabo?
Or bowden for fisher
Or richt for donnan

All of these schools were decent programs but it wasnt enough and they took a risk to be better and they were.

Every school has to evaluate its scenario and make a call and Tennessee doesnt mean anything. Its an example but not a copy. There are examples the other way too.

At tech i dont see why or how you could get rid of paul after this year. Two years of this in a row and its a legit discussion. Now no way. His track record is good enough at this school.

We did fire our last head coach the year after taking us to the ACCCG. With his contract, he has at least a couple of more years to right the ship.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
What I think about and concerns me is that our offense has very little margin for error ... we need the perfect QB, perfect supporting cast, perfect team chemistry, all the planets must be perfectly aligned etc. etc. etc.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
What I think about and concerns me is that our offense has very little margin for error ... we need the perfect QB, perfect supporting cast, perfect team chemistry, all the planets must be perfectly aligned etc. etc. etc.

As opposed to....?...most schools where you can have a mediocre QB, mediocre supporting cast, and mediocre team chemistry and still win your league and/or go to the playoffs?

I would argue you have it exactly backwards. If anything, our offense actually allows us to compete at a higher level with a bit lower level of recruiting. I still can't understand why everything always goes back to the offense. Outside of 1 year where we had Joe Hamilton as a senior, most of our best offensive seasons in the history of the program have come with this offense, including last year, which was arguably even better than the Joe Ham year. This year has been bad, but I refuse to believe it is primarily due to the offensive scheme. I have simply seen too much overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I'm really not talking about recruiting here, I'm saying the perfect pieces all fitting together and meshing perfectly, if that makes any sense.

I really thought this offense was mostly all about the QB and JT was the perfect fit, but it hasn't worked out that way this season ... or maybe I'm just in a bad mood !!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
1. Is 2014 an outlier = not seen again for a long time?
2. Is 2015 ditto? Not sure
Navy did some graphs that said we are doing good to get to 8-4 with 2 w against crap teams. .
I had hoped we would move to 8-4 was expected most years, but that looks unlikely.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I had hoped we would move to 8-4 was expected most years, but that looks unlikely.

Depends. Are you willing to install a department of studies in which the players can: sign up for a class, never attend, and get automatic As? That could open up our recruiting base to include players who have problems spelling their own names like one of our fellow Coastal schools. We could start looking purely at athletic ability and throw character and ability to complete GT coursework out of the window.