How does GT score their first points of 2016?

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
We disagree on two facts.
First, I disagree that we use that play a ton. I think we include it in like 1 or 2 game-plans a year, and I don't think we used it vs them in 2010. Those are just my recollections, so tifwiw.

Second, as I said, I think that they were coached to stop the dive and the veer. If you are right that they were coached to watch those keys and didn't, then I agree that they were unsound. However, it seems to me that by that logic, a lot of our own errors on D could also be chalked-up to guys failing DL 101 or DB 1o1 etc. Yet, you are the one who always blames the coaching/scheme.

Nah. Here the players stunk. When i blame the staff its when i can tell/see players doing what the scheme is calling but the scheme is situationally poor or not utilizing more.....roofs d have had blown assignments like every d including overpursuit; but that happens. Generally i dont complain about our lack of discipline on d. Its more about what we do.

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
It will look something like this:

I love this play. For what it's worth, if you watch the 30 for 30 special on Randy Moss, about 15 minutes in when they talk about his high school football team, you can see them run this exact same play in practice (they run it the other way) from Spread. Their QB carries out a better Rocket Toss fake, though ...

I hope our first TD is bread and butter: Triple Option.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So, they reacted to tail motion as if they were coached to stop dive and veer? Sounds like what I said.
Most teams play their LB's a lot deeper. All 4 LB's and the lone safety were duped by the tail motion. That's not sound, I don't care what D you run. Everybody is not supposed to run to the ball.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nah. Here the players stunk. When i blame the staff its when i can tell/see players doing what the scheme is calling but the scheme is situationally poor or not utilizing more.....roofs d have had blown assignments like every d including overpursuit; but that happens. Generally i dont complain about our lack of discipline on d. Its more about what we do.

Right. I know what you complain about. That's what I said.

You admitted that you're typically trolling, so good enough.

strong90

Jolly Good Fellow
Nathan Cottrell returns k/o to the 40.
1st down - play action right, deep pass to Brad Stewart- incomplete;
2nd down - straight dive to the right, DM picks up 6, falling forward;
3rd down - base formation, 3O to the right, everyone makes their blocks, JT makes the right read, MM hits the hole fast and never stops.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
You guys are way off base. We KO to BC and Dorian Walker proceeds to slobber knock the returner who puts the ball on the ground. Christian Campbell scoops it up and runs it in without being touched. We then onside kick, taking them completley by surprise, recovering the ball in the process. Our drive goes 12 methodical plays, culminating with a QB follow TD by MJ. We are up 14 before they even run an offensive play.

You'll be calling me Nostri-boom-us on Saturday afternoon.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Nathan Cottrell returns k/o to the 40.
1st down - play action right, deep pass to Brad Stewart- incomplete;
2nd down - straight dive to the right, DM picks up 6, falling forward;
3rd down - base formation, 3O to the right, everyone makes their blocks, JT makes the right read, MM hits the hole fast and never stops.
If he never stops won't he run into a wall? :p

gtg147g

Georgia Tech Fan
I know it's unlikely against an opponent like BC, but the first play from the 2009 season made a heck of a statement. Load option right (I think?), complete with devastating crack back block by #8 and a takedown block by Allen on the outside. It was textbook.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Interesting note on Qua Searcy as I was going over some stats:

Through the game he got hurt (3rd Game...ND), Qua only had 76 yards total rushing (on 13 attempts) and 45 yards receiving (on 3 catches). 2 TDs (1 rushing, 1 receiving). He only had 10 yards rushing (on 6 attempts) against ND and one catch for 17 yards.

Our best AB in 2015 from a statistics standpoint was obviously Clinton Lynch. Through the ND game, CL had 87 yards rushing (on 5 attempts!) and 28 yards receiving (on 1 catch). 1 total TD rushing.

FWIW, for all the grief CL gets for not being explosive or being a great runner, dude certainly put up some eye opening numbers (9.5 yds per rushing attempt, 24.8 yards per catch) compared to Qua who we all think will become a stud AB eventually.

Which is to say, I think CL is going to score our first TD of 2016.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You guys are way off base. We KO to BC and Dorian Walker proceeds to slobber knock the returner who puts the ball on the ground. Christian Campbell scoops it up and runs it in without being touched. We then onside kick, taking them completley by surprise, recovering the ball in the process. Our drive goes 12 methodical plays, culminating with a QB follow TD by MJ. We are up 14 before they even run an offensive play.

You'll be calling me Nostri-boom-us on Saturday afternoon.
How 'bout this:

We kick off high and deep. BC tries to get cute and does a long pass lateral from one sideline to the other. We intercept it and walk into the endzone.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Interesting note on Qua Searcy as I was going over some stats:

Through the game he got hurt (3rd Game...ND), Qua only had 76 yards total rushing (on 13 attempts) and 45 yards receiving (on 3 catches). 2 TDs (1 rushing, 1 receiving). He only had 10 yards rushing (on 6 attempts) against ND and one catch for 17 yards.

Our best AB in 2015 from a statistics standpoint was obviously Clinton Lynch. Through the ND game, CL had 87 yards rushing (on 5 attempts!) and 28 yards receiving (on 1 catch). 1 total TD rushing.

FWIW, for all the grief CL gets for not being explosive or being a great runner, dude certainly put up some eye opening numbers (9.5 yds per rushing attempt, 24.8 yards per catch) compared to Qua who we all think will become a stud AB eventually.

Which is to say, I think CL is going to score our first TD of 2016.
Not taking anything away from Lynch because I like him too, but you could tell a difference in how defenses played us after we lost Qua. Part of it may have just been the fact that everyone knew we couldn’t block so just destroyed us every play instead of sitting back and reacting but Qua was looking damn good before he got hurt because he was making plays all by himself from making people miss because the blocking was non-existent.

Unk T

Georgia Tech Fan
Not taking anything away from Lynch because I like him too, but you could tell a difference in how defenses played us after we lost Qua. Part of it may have just been the fact that everyone knew we couldn’t block so just destroyed us every play instead of sitting back and reacting but Qua was looking damn good before he got hurt because he was making plays all by himself from making people miss because the blocking was non-existent.

Defenses played us different after we lost Qua? You mean different from Alcorn and Tulane?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Defenses played us different after we lost Qua? You mean different from Alcorn and Tulane?
Like I said, a lot of it could have been because they just learned we can’t block but the way defenses played us in 2014/first 2 games of 2015 was a lot different than the way they played us from Notre Dame on. I don’t really care about stats as much as what I see and what I saw in Qua was more dynamic and more ability to spread out the D than what I saw in Lynch. That’s not to say Lynch didn’t play great last year and put up great numbers and he may even be better in the passing game than Qua, but strictly my opinion of what I saw, Qua makes the defense lay back a tad more.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I did not see that...but that's just my POV.

ND was the first real test, and Qua struggled. Lynch had a good game against ND.

ABs should perform better overall this year. I think we'll have 2-3 studs out of this group. I'm interested in seeing Qua bounce back from injury.