How does GT score their first points of 2016?

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
OK, but really...I think we turn BC over early deep in their territory and score a few plays later on a rocket toss

Techster

Helluva Engineer
4th and 1 on the 30 yard line. CPJ goes for it...but OL false starts. CPJ forgets all the good will from the preseason and chews out the OL on national TV (What are you...stupid?!!!) as he makes his way to the sidelines trying to scurry past CPJ.

Sends out Harrison Butker to kick a 52 yard field goal after the 5 yard false start penalty. Butker is money.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
4th and 1 on the 30 yard line. CPJ goes for it...but OL false starts. CPJ forgets all the good will from the preseason and chews out the OL on national TV (What are you...stupid?!!!) as he makes his way to the sidelines trying to scurry past CPJ.

Sends out Harrison Butker to kick a 52 yard field goal after the 5 yard false start penalty. Butker is money.

It's been reassuring to hear CPJ praise Butker all off-season; with his range, he is worth a win if he's lights out.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
smh It wasn't about being unsound defensively. They were coached to stop the dive and the veer, and we blocked well. CU had a great D last year, and we had a couple of walk in TDs because their safety gave up the deep pass to add run-support. KS at least had their deep guys deep, we just had great blocking by WRs.

When we played uva in 2012, Reid had his LB's playing aggressive against the run and got bit by a wheel route. I'm guessing that he's going to be aggressive in a different way on Saturday, and we get him this way. Tifwiw.

Bruh. Kansas was really unsound defensively. I will let @Ibeeballin and @vamosjackets tell you why. But when a G and T both pull from one side and both Lb dont read that key and go for the ball fake and start the opposite way...That my friend is unsound D

Now. Yes. The play is great. It takes exact advantage of what our O does to overpursuit and losing your fundamental keys. And i get it. Its a hard O to defend. But this play we use a ton and solid lb play stops it....

Not matter what, one of the lbs has this key....

This is literally Lb 101

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Bruh. Kansas was really unsound defensively. I will let @Ibeeballin and @vamosjackets tell you why. But when a G and T both pull from one side and both Lb dont read that key and go for the ball fake and start the opposite way...That my friend is unsound D

Now. Yes. The play is great. It takes exact advantage of what our O does to overpursuit and losing your fundamental keys. And i get it. Its a hard O to defend. But this play we use a ton and solid lb play stops it....

This is literally Lb 101
LB101 works well until it is swallowed by OG303!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

This is literally Lb 101

We disagree on two facts.
First, I disagree that we use that play a ton. I think we include it in like 1 or 2 game-plans a year, and I don't think we used it vs them in 2010. Those are just my recollections, so tifwiw.

Second, as I said, I think that they were coached to stop the dive and the veer. If you are right that they were coached to watch those keys and didn't, then I agree that they were unsound. However, it seems to me that by that logic, a lot of our own errors on D could also be chalked-up to guys failing DL 101 or DB 1o1 etc. Yet, you are the one who always blames the coaching/scheme.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
First, I disagree that we use that play a ton. I think we include it in like 1 or 2 game-plans a year, and I don't think we used it vs them in 2010. Those are just my recollections, so tifwiw.

Second, as I said, I think that they were coached to stop the dive and the veer. If you are right that they were coached to watch those keys and didn't, then I agree that they were unsound. However, it seems to me that by that logic, a lot of our own errors on D could also be chalked-up to guys failing DL 101 or DB 1o1 etc. Yet, you are the one who always blames the coaching/scheme.
you're probably right that we didn't run that against them in 2010. Their coach admitted they went into our game thinking they would just do what they did the year before and were grossly unprepared for what we threw at them. maybe that's just coach speak for we got whipped and it's on me.

First score, Mills from inside the 10 and he bounces it outside.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

All 4 lb's line up 4 yards off the LOS. 3 of them take two steps forward and to the right on the snap. Anything but a dive and they're screwed. The lone safety, who needs to know what the word safety means, completely bites on the play fake and runs 20 yards the wrong way. The OLB on the real playside who bit on motion, corrects his mistake in time to make a play, but takes a horrible angle too far outside creating a massive lane up the hash setting himself up for a way too easy block by our pulling OT.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
All 4 lb's line up 4 yards off the LOS. 3 of them take two steps forward and to the right on the snap. Anything but a dive and they're screwed. The lone safety, who needs to know what the word safety means, completely bites on the play fake and runs 20 yards the wrong way. The OLB on the real playside who bit on motion, corrects his mistake in time to make a play, but takes a horrible angle too far outside creating a massive lane up the hash setting himself up for a way too easy block by our pulling OT.

So, they reacted to tail motion as if they were coached to stop dive and veer? Sounds like what I said.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck

This is literally Lb 101

Yep, and ILB guard keys don't depend on whether this play is in the package. The key determines first step and often gap responsibility with a paired DL. Coaching up midline, TO and rocket builds off this key. And counter trey action is ILB 101, which every ILB fails repeatedly...

Also, I doubt CPJ installs packages without some counter action. It could be the counter option, counter trey with AB or QB, which we saw a lot last year, or the simpler inside counter trap. Regardless, the ILB would have the same keys for flow.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yep, and ILB guard keys don't depend on whether this play is in the package. The key determines first step and often gap responsibility with a paired DL. Coaching up midline, TO and rocket builds off this key. And counter trey action is ILB 101, which every ILB fails repeatedly...

Also, I doubt CPJ installs packages without some counter action. It could be the counter option, counter trey with AB or QB, which we saw a lot last year, or the simpler inside counter trap. Regardless, the ILB would have the same keys for flow.

Exactly.