How do we feel about our wide receivers?

Mack

Helluva Engineer
Returning: Smelter, Waller, Autry, Dennis, Summers

New: Messick, Jeune

Smelter showed flashes of real talent. Has great hand-eye coordination, is eager to block, is physical. He lacks elite speed and we struggled to get him the ball sometimes.

Waller is a great physical specimen. Should be our deep threat but, again, we struggled to even target him downfield. Inconsistent effort in getting to contested passes. Decent to good blocker.

Summers is quick and seems to be high-effort but doesn't have good blocking technique yet. Not a bad route runner.

Dennis - blocks.

Autry - great blocker, seemed to have great spatial awareness and a real desire to mix it up with defenders. Will he be the same guy?

Can we expect Messick or Jeune to get any real snaps this year?
Every year it seems for past ten years or so I would look at WR folks in warm ups and wonder how in the world could we not get them the ball.We have great size and most can run but somebodoy needs to get them the ball.We are solid here but again.........got to get them the ball.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
I thought I was clear. They both have the capability to stretch the field. Not saying they are Kelly Campbell or will ever be as good as him. They both have the ability to be vertical threats for us. Both have legit 4.4 speed as does Summers. Summers has actually posted a 4.3 time.
Your tone in your response came across as very pompous. I don't think my post deserved that type of a response.

Yes, but do they have SEC speed????:
:banghead:

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
One thing that I noticed out of our recievers this past season that was nice is that I remember very few dropped passes. In the past few seasons we had some gawd aweful drops in some pretty crucial situations. Hopefully that trend of not dropping passes will continue.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
These are probably the best combo of guys in maybe 5-6 yrs (all PJ time w/oBeybey) -but that is not saying much.I didn't watch blocking much but my guess they were avg.
others- Autry to me was going to be good one but now after med issues who knows .Jeune didn't break out as Fr so ?If Messick plays much,we are hurting-the truth
Dennis-the only? time he touched the ball was when he tried to pass-tells you something and none of it good seeing results

Techster

Helluva Engineer
i'm not ready to give up on Wallers yet, there were times when he made some clutch grabs

I thought he really stepped up the second half of the season. Showed he could get behind the defense, and made some nice catches.

If he plays like that in 2014, and if Smelter continues to develop at the pace he did his first season back in football in 3 years, we could have a very good WR corp with the other guys complimenting.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Probably the best group as a whole that PJ has had. If we can get a BB that can take it to the frickin house we would have the best offense since Paul has been here. I have faith in Justin. I wanted him to win the job over Vad because I'm from Alabama and saw him play in high school. My concern is the defense. I don't believe in Roof. I hope he proves me wrong but I don't see us having a defense even as good as this years, and we got shredded at times this season. If we improve from last year I'll start to change my mind on Roof but right now that is my concern for our team next season, not the offense.

GT Man

Ramblin' Wreck
Probably the best group as a whole that PJ has had. If we can get a BB that can take it to the frickin house we would have the best offense since Paul has been here. I have faith in Justin. I wanted him to win the job over Vad because I'm from Alabama and saw him play in high school. My concern is the defense. I don't believe in Roof. I hope he proves me wrong but I don't see us having a defense even as good as this years, and we got shredded at times this season. If we improve from last year I'll start to change my mind on Roof but right now that is my concern for our team next season, not the offense.

I like Roof, but understand where you're coming from. We've seen one improved season defensively, but year 2 will be more telling. I do know the players really like him.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Our Defense wasn't as close to being good last year as I thought, but it was better, especially against the run and especially early on. During the last several games, especially with Clemson and after, we ran a lot more nickel to try and stop the pass and our rush defense fell off. I'm not sure it really helped us that much against the pass either.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Our Defense wasn't as close to being good last year as I thought, but it was better, especially against the run and especially early on. During the last several games, especially with Clemson and after, we ran a lot more nickel to try and stop the pass and our rush defense fell off. I'm not sure it really helped us that much against the pass either.

Roof did make decent adjustments which is nice, but we played too much zone that got destroyed because we didn't get pressure. We should've brought 6 just about every play and dropped 5 into man coverage and taken our chances of getting burned, which Louis young would have taken that chance and run with it of course.

Mack

Helluva Engineer
We were not what I consider good this year but gosh,we were better than last year.I figured folks would line up and ram the ball down our throat but wtih exception of a few good uns we did okay vs the run..until we get pass rushers we will always have to play nickel and this hurts us since as you say I wonder if it helped out any this year anyway.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I thought he really stepped up the second half of the season. Showed he could get behind the defense, and made some nice catches.

If he plays like that in 2014, and if Smelter continues to develop at the pace he did his first season back in football in 3 years, we could have a very good WR corp with the other guys complimenting.

I agree. What I like about Waller is that he's clearly gotten better each year and as the seasons have progressed. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought I was clear. They both have the capability to stretch the field. Not saying they are Kelly Campbell or will ever be as good as him. They both have the ability to be vertical threats for us. Both have legit 4.4 speed as does Summers. Summers has actually posted a 4.3 time.
Your tone in your response came across as very pompous. I don't think my post deserved that type of a response.
I am sorry Iron, I don't mean to offend. I was just trying to be creative about explaining how I felt a race between Autry and Campbell (from 13 years ago) would have gone. However, let me just say that I disagree with your characterization of their speed. Hopefully this time I deliver the message more tactfully. I caution you about attaching too much meaning to the posted 40 times of those two young men. Those things can vary wildly based on who is doing the timing and the methods used. 4.3 speed, when timed accurately, is CJ Spiller type speed. When you watch those type players on the field competing against the rest of college football, 4.3 speed is palpable. It stands out like a sore thumb. Every single defender will be aware of where they are at any time and adjust their angles and cushions etc to keep them contained. Obviously, I have never timed either of these guys myself, but having been involved with that kind of thing for years, I have an opinion about where I think their times would end up. FWIW, maybe very little in the eyes of many and that is fine, I see Autry as around a 4.6 guy and Summers more like 4.5. Those times are plenty good enough to be a WR, especially in our offense. They are not slow, but opposing DCs won't be scheming around their speed either. For that matter, I don't think Waller or Smelter are really any faster either, but they did manage to get behind the defense this year, which reinforces your point.