Here's An Analysis Of The 2020 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets By College Football News

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I think the Jackets will struggle in 2020. Everything will be moving in a positive direction mind you, but the frustration of going 3-9 or 4-8 will wear down some players and many fans. The real season is 2021.
What do you consider a reasonable expectation for 2021 if we go 3-9 in 2020? Personally I can't see us going 3-9 and then winning 7-8 games a year later even with a slightly easier schedule.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
What do you consider a reasonable expectation for 2021 if we go 3-9 in 2020? Personally I can't see us going 3-9 and then winning 7-8 games a year later even with a slightly easier schedule.

I mean it all depends on how those games actually go. If we lose the 9 games by 1-2 scores, I’ll feel much better than if we are blown out for most of them. It’s too early to quantify anything

Jmonty71

Banned
I think Georgia Tech goes 5-7 and gets a bowl game because of the huge amount of bowls the ACC is connected to. I think Georgia Tech wins 7-8 games in 2021.
I am picking us to go 5-7, as well. I don't see us winning 6 and becoming bowl eligible. Just not enough experience and talent yet. I think we win a game that we should lose and lose a game that we should win. AKA a typical GT Football season.

Scubapro

Banned
I am picking us to go 5-7, as well. I don't see us winning 6 and becoming bowl eligible. Just not enough experience and talent yet. I think we win a game that we should lose and lose a game that we should win. AKA a typical GT Football season.
I think we will have enough talent Not sure it can overcome the coaching deficiencies
If this staff can’t put together some wow factor in 2020 then it will be a long slog until Collins’ contract is up

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I think we will have enough talent Not sure it can overcome the coaching deficiencies
If this staff can’t put together some wow factor in 2020 then it will be a long slog until Collins’ contract is up
Lol. Coaching deficiencies. We literally haven’t seen anything to show whether or not there are any “deficiencies” within the coaching staff. This season will provide a good idea of where they stand though. Anybody who says otherwise is either a prophet, or just somebody who wants to spark the old CPJ vs. CGC argument again. You cannot judge a staff based on its first year at any school or level.

Scubapro

Banned
Lol. Coaching deficiencies. We literally haven’t seen anything to show whether or not there are any “deficiencies” within the coaching staff. This season will provide a good idea of where they stand though. Anybody who says otherwise is either a prophet, or just somebody who wants to spark the old CPJ vs. CGC argument again. You cannot judge a staff based on its first year at any school or level.
So after watching 12 games you cant gleam any indication on how well this staff can prepare a team to play? Ok

Sidewalking

Banned
In year one I expected better on field results. Year one recruiting was above my expectations. Year two Tech should be competitive. Another sub .500 year will be a big alarm bell that should concern everyone. Better than .500 should ease most concerns.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

I think it’s impossible to judge without knowing the goal. We don’t know if Peanut is the final OC or just a caretaker until GT starts to see blue water.

I do think you can judge style. Geoff has his own. And we can see it.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'm not real sure how anyone can predict our record without knowing who is going to show up on the field.This time last yr I believe we had not lost our by far BEST O lineman and D lineman which basically crushed our chances for decent play there.It could happen again.
It would ne nice to get another OL or DL in transfer to offset the inevitable loss of guys to injury/other reason to weaken us even before the first game.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
So after watching 12 games you cant gleam any indication on how well this staff can prepare a team to play? Ok
How the staff prepared a team comprised freshmen and walk-ons, playing in a system they’ve never played in before? No. There’s basically no indication of how well they will prepare a team when it’s actually fit to win.

• Kyle Shanahan went 6-10 his first year in SF. Now he’s in the Super Bowl and considered one of the best coaches in the league.
  • PJ Fleck went 5-7 his first year at Minnesota. Just finished the year at 11-2 with wins over Penn State and Auburn, and every major school in the country with a potential coaching vacancy is trying to hire him away.
  • Nick Saban went 7-6 his first year at Alabama, and hasn’t won less than 10 since.
  • Kirby Smart went 8-5 his first year at Georgia, losing to traditional powerhouses like Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech. The Dwags haven’t looked back since.
  • Paul Johnson went 2-10 his first year at Navy, and didn’t win fewer than 8 after that until he came to Tech. He won 9 in year 1, 11 in year 2, and then had a pretty average to mediocre career here barring 2014.
The point? You cannot judge a coach (or coaching staff) completely based on one year. Especially when almost 1/4 of the travel roster are walk-ons, and over 1/2 are FR or SO.

Scubapro

Banned
How the staff prepared a team comprised freshmen and walk-ons, playing in a system they’ve never played in before? No. There’s basically no indication of how well they will prepare a team when it’s actually fit to win.

• Kyle Shanahan went 6-10 his first year in SF. Now he’s in the Super Bowl and considered one of the best coaches in the league.
  • PJ Fleck went 5-7 his first year at Minnesota. Just finished the year at 11-2 with wins over Penn State and Auburn, and every major school in the country with a potential coaching vacancy is trying to hire him away.
  • Nick Saban went 7-6 his first year at Alabama, and hasn’t won less than 10 since.
  • Kirby Smart went 8-5 his first year at Georgia, losing to traditional powerhouses like Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech. The Dwags haven’t looked back since.
  • Paul Johnson went 2-10 his first year at Navy, and didn’t win fewer than 8 after that until he came to Tech. He won 9 in year 1, 11 in year 2, and then had a pretty average to mediocre career here barring 2014.
The point? You cannot judge a coach (or coaching staff) completely based on one year. Especially when almost 1/4 of the travel roster are walk-ons, and over 1/2 are FR or SO.

Nick Saban was a proven commodity from MSU and LSU
Paul had plenty of success at Southern
But I get your point
I hope this staff does great things at Tech
I think it will require a shift in the offense
Go back and watch the Coastal Carolina games and tell me if that offense can cut it in a power five conference.
I dont think it can. If we average less than 20 points a game next year will you make the same argument?
Is it possible for the D and Special teams to make up the difference? I hope so.

Lotta Booze

Ramblin' Wreck

Throw in Rhule to that group of examples. 1-11 year one to 7-6 and then 11-3

stech81

Helluva Engineer
It's year 2 you have to improve not 4 or 5 wins but at least 6 wins. Last year was bad horrible would be a better way to say it. Too may non-scholarship players having to play last year. But this year we have more CGC players than CPJ players and we will probably lose more old players from the CPJ players after this spring and they see where they fit in. If we don't win 6 or more I'll be pissed off to the highest point of pisstivity. But I'll have to see why injuries or lack of coaching which right now the only coach I worry about is P'nut. Did the wins come late in season after the young players got some gamas behind them.

Milwaukee

Banned
It's year 2 you have to improve not 4 or 5 wins but at least 6 wins. Last year was bad horrible would be a better way to say it. Too may non-scholarship players having to play last year. But this year we have more CGC players than CPJ players and we will probably lose more old players from the CPJ players after this spring and they see where they fit in. If we don't win 6 or more I'll be pissed off to the highest point of pisstivity. But I'll have to see why injuries or lack of coaching which right now the only coach I worry about is P'nut. Did the wins come late in season after the young players got some gamas behind them.

Seriously?

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

I agree with the gist of what you have here. Based on one year, we would all look around and think that we should've hired Satterfield instead (Lolville was picked by everyone to be worse than us). HOWEVER, we are (hopefully) building to something much bigger and better and one year does not tell the full story. Ross was terrible his first year too (granted, he inherited a worse situation) but he had something really going by year 3 (although he almost quit before then). I was a huge CPJ fan, but I am a believer in the process and CGC. We just can't totally crap the bed this year or the boo-birds will be worse than 1988 with CBR's second year team. With social media, win-now mentalities, etc., there isn't much patience for coaches any more.