Here's An Analysis Of The 2020 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets By College Football News

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow
Recruiting is much more important than winning at this point in time. GT will have the best personnel since 2009 next year, but it will be very young. Our best players will be Freshmen, followed by Sophomores, followed by Juniors, followed way, way behind by Seniors. We will only have 1 1/2 years of players recruited for Collins’ system.

However, the talent will gain experience over time and the wins will follow. Coaching is important, but nowhere near as important as recruiting.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
With social media, win-now mentalities, etc., there isn't much patience for coaches any more.
100% agree with this statesman.
But I was not one who wanted Satterfield but wanting the OC from Clemson being young I thought he would be able to recruit better. But I was happy with CGC and I know he can recuirt but you have to win more games this year or we will be doing good to have 25,000 fans at the home games by mid season.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting is much more important than winning at this point in time. GT will have the best personnel since 2009 next year, but it will be very young. Our best players will be Freshmen, followed by Sophomores, followed by Juniors, followed way, way behind by Seniors. We will only have 1 1/2 years of players recruited for Collins’ system.

However, the talent will gain experience over time and the wins will follow. Coaching is important, but nowhere near as important as recruiting.
I believe if you check the roster we have more of CGC players than CPJ now. ( hope I'm right but I'm going by something I saw on here)

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
100% agree with this statesman.
But I was not one who wanted Satterfield but wanting the OC from Clemson being young I thought he would be able to recruit better. But I was happy with CGC and I know he can recuirt but you have to win more games this year or we will be doing good to have 25,000 fans at the home games by mid season.
I get what you're saying, I meant that if you go off one year then Satterfield is clearly the winner. It's a marathon not a sprint though. Well, maybe a 5K. ;)

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer

Are we allowed to recruit well and win a few games or is that idea just too crazy to work?

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
How the staff prepared a team comprised freshmen and walk-ons, playing in a system they’ve never played in before? No. There’s basically no indication of how well they will prepare a team when it’s actually fit to win.

• Kyle Shanahan went 6-10 his first year in SF. Now he’s in the Super Bowl and considered one of the best coaches in the league.
  • PJ Fleck went 5-7 his first year at Minnesota. Just finished the year at 11-2 with wins over Penn State and Auburn, and every major school in the country with a potential coaching vacancy is trying to hire him away.
  • Nick Saban went 7-6 his first year at Alabama, and hasn’t won less than 10 since.
  • Kirby Smart went 8-5 his first year at Georgia, losing to traditional powerhouses like Vanderbilt and Georgia Tech. The Dwags haven’t looked back since.
  • Paul Johnson went 2-10 his first year at Navy, and didn’t win fewer than 8 after that until he came to Tech. He won 9 in year 1, 11 in year 2, and then had a pretty average to mediocre career here barring 2014.
The point? You cannot judge a coach (or coaching staff) completely based on one year. Especially when almost 1/4 of the travel roster are walk-ons, and over 1/2 are FR or SO.
Aside from Shanahan, all of those guys improved considerably in their 2nd year. Should we expect the same from Collins?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I think it’s impossible to judge without knowing the goal. We don’t know if Peanut is the final OC or just a caretaker until GT starts to see blue water.

I do think you can judge style. Geoff has his own. And we can see it.
IMO, Only Cgc has a 7 year contract from tstan. Tstan is in the boat with cgc. The oc aho.j is from Coastal Carolina will be under the microscope this year and next year. If we struggle to look competent this year, he is gone. If we get to a bowl this year but fail to significantly improve next year he is gone.

We must start getting significantly better to keep improving the recruiting.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Aside from Shanahan, all of those guys improved considerably in their 2nd year. Should we expect the same from Collins?
Improve significantly in on-field performance? Absolutely. Improve significantly in record? Maybe not. Whoever starts at QB will have played in fewer than 10 games, or be a true freshman. A lot of the players who will see significant snaps will still be underclassmen, although there will be a lot more JRs who see significant snaps this year than there were last year. Not even mentioning the preseason #4 SOS in all of college football. Winning 4-5 games this year would show significant improvement, even if it doesn’t look like it on paper. Should anybody be satisfied with 4 wins? No. But if it happens it shouldn’t be considered the end of the world. Year 3 has been the benchmark for Collins the whole time for me. Win 7-8 in year 3, look for 8-10 consistently in year 4 and beyond.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
We need one more really outstanding recruiting class and we can be competitive with everyone we play. That is what i'm hearing from folks that know. Think we will be showing signs by mid season just from what we will have playing this fall.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
There needs to be improvement overall. All three phases. The Oline should be improved with transfers and previous starters healthy. The WRs and RBs have shown they are capable. the question on offense is the QB.

On defense, a year of experience and also transfers should mean improvement over last year.

Special teams is still a problem. No kicker signed. And the special teams did not produce last year. Special teams was something CGC said would be improved because of his attention. Need to see improvement there.

Basically, the 2020 Jackets need to show improvement over the 2019 Jackets in all there phases of the game. That includes in game head coaching decisions and in game adjustments.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Improve significantly in on-field performance? Absolutely. Improve significantly in record? Maybe not. Whoever starts at QB will have played in fewer than 10 games, or be a true freshman. A lot of the players who will see significant snaps will still be underclassmen, although there will be a lot more JRs who see significant snaps this year than there were last year. Not even mentioning the preseason #4 SOS in all of college football. Winning 4-5 games this year would show significant improvement, even if it doesn’t look like it on paper. Should anybody be satisfied with 4 wins? No. But if it happens it shouldn’t be considered the end of the world. Year 3 has been the benchmark for Collins the whole time for me. Win 7-8 in year 3, look for 8-10 consistently in year 4 and beyond.
4 wins would be a crap season. The preemptive apologists need to get out of their current mindset. We can win games now.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
4 wins would be a crap season. The preemptive apologists need to get out of their current mindset. We can win games now.
It’s not about being an apologist. It’s about understanding reality. The reality is that this will still be a very young team with a very tough schedule. Of course a 4 win season would suck, but it would be understandable if the team was still competitive. I absolutely think Tech can win 6 games this year. I’ve said before it wouldn’t really surprise me if this turned out to be a 2008 type year and Tech wins 8+. But you still have to be realistic with expectations.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
CGC and staff have consistently gotten off to slow starts, and finished strong their two years at Temple. I think with the younger players and transfers, it will take some time for this team to gel, especially on offense. I think the defense should be better this year and thinking 5-7. I see us losing the early road games, winning against GW and UCF at home. Then after the open date beating UVA, Duke, and Miami. If we can win on road against Syracuse or Pitt, could be a much better year.

BuzzStone

Helluva Engineer
I think it really depends on our coaching staff, I really hope they have been working hard to improve. They have the talent. If they can use it properly this year is the question. We seemed to make the same mistakes last year over and over. I don't know that we won a second half last year at all... that must improve. The halftime adjustments must get better to be a success.