Here's An Analysis Of The 2020 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets By College Football News

Scubapro

Banned
I think it really depends on our coaching staff, I really hope they have been working hard to improve. They have the talent. If they can use it properly this year is the question. We seemed to make the same mistakes last year over and over. I don't know that we won a second half last year at all... that must improve. The halftime adjustments must get better to be a success.
This staff did a great job if selling Tech / Recruiting this year
However, if we post a 3-9 record again Gehoff wont be able to sell bananas in a monkey house

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This staff did a great job if selling Tech / Recruiting this year
However, if we post a 3-9 record again Gehoff wont be able to sell bananas in a monkey house

Maybe not. But he’ll have 5 more years of income. Plus the 30,000 a year Saban will pay him yo wash his car.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
We’ve got a good number of transfers who should be available. I anticipate the defense being considerably better and the offense to continue to struggle. 6-6 seems optimistic, though Collins himself said this past Christmas would be the last one we spent at home.

Hopefully, he’s not talking about visiting family for the holidays...

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Maybe not. But he’ll have 5 more years of income. Plus the 30,000 a year Saban will pay him yo wash his car.
My Tennessee friends are telling me that Coach Collins is a Butch Jones clone after his appearance on the Packer and Durham show:vomit: I tell them Geoff is a better head coach than Butch and he in my opinion is. the best recruiter Georgia Tech has had since Bobby Dodd:cigar:

GTJackets

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm afraid for this board in the coming season. The number of people posting they "expect" 6 or more wins is surprising.

I think we could pull off 6 or more. I just don't expect it. I expect 4 or 5 in year two. Most of our production is back. The OL should be healthy and back at full strength. Eligible transfers should be a huge help. But you can't deny that the schedule is going to be tough. Being more competitive throughout the season while still finishing below .500 is still progress in my book.

I'm excited about the way the program is trending. I think we're headed in the right direction. I'm hopeful we find a way to win 6 or even 7 and get back to a bowl game in year 2 of a major rebuild. But my expectation for this year isn't as high as my hope.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I'm afraid for this board in the coming season. The number of people posting they "expect" 6 or more wins is surprising.

I think we could pull off 6 or more. I just don't expect it. I expect 4 or 5 in year two. Most of our production is back. The OL should be healthy and back at full strength. Eligible transfers should be a huge help. But you can't deny that the schedule is going to be tough. Being more competitive throughout the season while still finishing below .500 is still progress in my book.

I'm excited about the way the program is trending. I think we're headed in the right direction. I'm hopeful we find a way to win 6 or even 7 and get back to a bowl game in year 2 of a major rebuild. But my expectation for this year isn't as high as my hope.
Sorry I can't see 4 or 5 wins being an Improvement . Everyone looks at the schedule but does anyone know who is coming back next year. If I see a hard schedule all it means is we suck, which I don't believe. I don't see us going 12-0 but I have to believe that we will win more than 4 or 5 games . Here is hoping our players don't think like some on here.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
My Tennessee friends are telling me that Coach Collins is a Butch Jones clone after his appearance on the Packer and Durham show:vomit: I tell them Geoff is a better head coach than Butch and he in my opinion is. the best recruiter Georgia Tech has had since Bobby Dodd:cigar:

I follow UT closely since I went there in grad school. Butch was a charlatan. He actually recruited well, but ... was a small- indeed, vindictive man. No need to rehash his history.

Geoff reminds me of Butch, but ... is a better recruiter and knows the game. I’m not sure Butch did.

Pruitt is winning hearts and minds there. Players and alum alike.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Sorry I can't see 4 or 5 wins being an Improvement . Everyone looks at the schedule but does anyone know who is coming back next year. If I see a hard schedule all it means is we suck, which I don't believe. I don't see us going 12-0 but I have to believe that we will win more than 4 or 5 games . Here is hoping our players don't think like some on here.

4 or 5 > 3.

Against a much tougher OOC schedule.

Seems pretty easy to say it would be an improvement

tsrich

Ramblin' Wreck
I think 4 wins is likely, given how many freshmen we'll be playing in key roles.

My goal would be that we look better than last season, and that we're playing good ball by the end of the season to springboard us into 2021.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
4 or 5 > 3.

Against a much tougher OOC schedule.

Seems pretty easy to say it would be an improvement
I don't , name the starters on the other teams when we play them this year. Can't be done cause we have no idea who will be injured the week we play. Can base a team on how they done the year before. If you are happy with 4 Or 5 wins great but not me.
Do you really think the coaches and the players look at the schedule this time of year and pick 7 or 8 games they think we we lose ? I really hope not

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't , name the starters on the other teams when we play them this year. Can't be done cause we have no idea who will be injured the week we play. Can base a team on how they done the year before. If you are happy with 4 Or 5 wins great but not me.
Do you really think the coaches and the players look at the schedule this time of year and pick 7 or 8 games they think we we lose ? I really hope not

Obviously the coaches and players play to win every game and think they have a chance. Otherwise they wouldn’t play the game. But you are now changing your argument to from saying 4 to 5 wins is not an improvement to I will not be happy with 4 to 5 wins. That’s a different argument. I also want more than 5 wins. Would love to go bowling this year.

But to say winning more games against a tougher schedule (regardless of injuries, ND and UCF are and will be much better than temple, citadel and USF were this past year) is not an improvement in by logic, false.

Sorry I’m a stickler for semantics.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
He also said we were playing at a high level last year I want to know what strain he buys at the dispensary
Perhaps he was talking about ... well, what the hell could he have been talking about? Is that one of those alternate facts things? If three wins and losing to the Citadel is a high level then he is on something uncut.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Perhaps he was talking about ... well, what the hell could he have been talking about? Is that one of those alternate facts things? If three wins and losing to the Citadel is a high level then he is on something uncut.

Maybe he meant a high level of intensity. I would go along with that.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Obviously the coaches and players play to win every game and think they have a chance. Otherwise they wouldn’t play the game. But you are now changing your argument to from saying 4 to 5 wins is not an improvement to I will not be happy with 4 to 5 wins. That’s a different argument. I also want more than 5 wins. Would love to go bowling this year.

But to say winning more games against a tougher schedule (regardless of injuries, ND and UCF are and will be much better than temple, citadel and USF were this past year) is not an improvement in by logic, false.

Sorry I’m a stickler for semantics.
Ok not sure how would saying 4 or 5 wins is not an improvement and saying I would not be happy with 4 Or 5 wins That much different. Why would anyone be happy losing more than you win. We have some very good players that did not play or played very little last year after getting hurt. I see every position being better than last year ( other than the LB's) yes lots are freshman and red shirt freshman but look to be good players. We want to recuirt like the big schools and we can ( not all 4 and 5 star players but very good). The big boys win players leave and they reload , I see us in the load part they are young will make mistakes but still if no one gets hurt for the season I just think 6 or more wins is in reach. We have very good coaches who I trust ( other than P'nut which gets a pass from last year) I like the defense staff and I like CBK and now he will have some players he wanted.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Here's an analysis of the 2020 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets by College Football News. They have Georgia Tech 8-4 at best and 3-9 at worst

https://collegefootballnews.com/202...l-schedule-2020-prediction-breakdown-analysis

I disagree with Virginia Tech being the fourth "hardest" team in their listing of opponents from hardest to easiest. I also disagree with UNC being 8th hardest (I think) UNC is going to be tough. I do not think there is much chance for us to win more than 6 or 7 games without drastic improvement on both lines and at quarterback and linebacker. Personally, I see our team as being a better team this fall, faster, stronger but a team that has a long way to go to be competitive with good teams consistently. We could be better and still have a losing record which is what I suspect will happen. The one thing that might change my mind would be an upset of any of the four teams that figure to be our best opponents: UGA, Clemson, Notre Dame, UNC. Win any one of those four and a winning season becomes not just possible but likely.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I’ll go with 6-6
Wins coming against GW UCF UVA @ Cuse Duke & Miami
Pitt and VT could be toss ups. VT loses Foster, keeps Fuente and is having a mass exodus.
The games I don’t like are of course Clemson ND and UGA but UNC looks tough too.

This makes a lot of sense. I am in agreement with Ryan here about Virginia Tech. That teams shows all the signs of one where the wheels are about to come off. I hate to have such low expectations but if Ryan is right about beating UVA, Duke, and Miami that alone along with say GW and Virginia Tech would make me a happy camper. I do not know about Pitt other than they could have won the Coastal last year and I don't know anything about Syracuse either. The Coastal will be its usual chaotic self if UNC stumbles. One caveat: I hate both Duke and Miami, albeit for different reasons so any season where we beat both of them makes me a little more forgiving on what happens to the rest of the games. Strange, I know but we all have our quirks and that is mine.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the gist of what you have here. Based on one year, we would all look around and think that we should've hired Satterfield instead (Lolville was picked by everyone to be worse than us). HOWEVER, we are (hopefully) building to something much bigger and better and one year does not tell the full story. Ross was terrible his first year too (granted, he inherited a worse situation) but he had something really going by year 3 (although he almost quit before then). I was a huge CPJ fan, but I am a believer in the process and CGC. We just can't totally crap the bed this year or the boo-birds will be worse than 1988 with CBR's second year team. With social media, win-now mentalities, etc., there isn't much patience for coaches any more.

This is largely true but Tech fans, grumpy and complaining though they may be, are generally a lot more forgiving than most fan bases. I cannot think of one coach that was fired in the last 50 years that did not have every opportunity to get the job done. Carson, Pepper, Bill Lewis, Chan, you name it and all of them were given a fair chance. Can you see Tech doing what FSU and Miami have done in the past? Willie T didn't even finish out year two. Being a former Cane quarterback and alumnus with a fine coaching pedigree did not save MR at Miami either.